Matt Rhule to become Carolina Panthers next Head Coach

deltarich87

Just now, Xenos said:

That's not too bad. I like that he at least got Shumur as his OC. His choice for DC was horrible, NFL or not.

there are several other hires that coincided with kellys staff initially that still reside with the team now. im unsure the role kelly played in those hires versus the rest of the org

22 hours ago, frenchie said:

I mean, congrats and good luck to him, but seriously, what's all the fuss over this guy?  How and why did he become such a hot commodity within basically the last few weeks?

His biggest thing is a culture builder that was able to turn around two programs. Baylor in particular had been rocked by a scandal that should have set it back further than what Rhules did. He is also a guy that is old school but also embraces new school things like sports science and analytics. One of the selling points was Tepper promising his own sports science department. I have no idea what kind of scheme he runs offensively or defensively so we're see how that goes.

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

You guys definitely had a great year, so can see why you'd be pleased

7-9 with the highest percentage of salary cap lost to season ending injuries. Sam Darnold kissing 3 games goodbye as well. Being sick in at least 2 more. 6-2 down the stretch, 7-6 with Darnold in the line up. 

Injuries to our top 6 starting MLB, no consistent EDGE threat. 11 different starting offensive lines, Luke Falk thrown into the first, Quincy Enunwa and Chris Herndon barely play any snaps. 

Yeah, Matt Rhule changes all of that with his high powered offense and attacking defense.

18 hours ago, iknowcool said:

It sounds like we’re 100% committed to tanking 2020 for Trevor Lawrence.  Our owner talking about taking things down and building them back up, and Rhule multiple times referring to a process.  I think we let Newton go and go full blast to tank mode. 

Unless you're also trading or IR'ing CMC I'm not sure I see how the Panthers fully bottom out even without Cam. 

16 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Unless you're also trading or IR'ing CMC I'm not sure I see how the Panthers fully bottom out even without Cam. 

We didn’t win a single game after starting 5-3 last year, and have a ton of defensive players either coming off injuries or about to be free agents (Bradberry, Boston although he’s bleh, McCoy, Addison, Poe, Short).  It’s certainly possible if we manage to trade some other pieces. 

21 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Think about this from a business point of view:
South Carolina is a college "town" they've never had a pro team nor did they have a compelling reason to go all- in on a team from NC
Tepper has already lobbied the politicians, gotten some perks and written the checks to build a practice facility just over the border in South Carolina.
That was no coincidence, there are any number of parcels closer to the stadium in North Carolina, yet he chose to go there instead.
That offers us some insight

Drafting Trevor Lawrence would be an IMMENSE boost to his bottom line and goes a long way to winning over those "new" Panther fans.

As far as the success or failure of Miami's tank job, we really don't know what was in their hearts and how committed they were to losing their way into the top of the draft. Does Brian Flores have a 7 year runway and the commitment from Ross ? We don't know that either.
If Tepper wants Trevor he's laid the groundwork for that option and while Lawrence will be a good one wherever he goes...
but because of his Clemson roots - he has more value to Tepper than any other franchise from the $$ side.

And we all know what drives decisions for NFL owners

Oh no, I'm a Clemson fan by family, so I would absolutely love it if we managed to get into a position to pick Trevor. It would definitely bring in SC fans a bit more.

My issue is that same as it was when Panthers fans complained about beating the Saints last year week 17 that lost us some draft position. Players will NEVER be "committed" to losing games, and even the worst NFL teams have enough talent to scrap some out, especially with good QB play. The media can talk about it all they want, but I can't remember a time when a team has clearly tanked and it's worked at the end of the season.

Bottom line, I think guys here have taken all the crap Rap has thrown out all year to heart. Tepper certainly hasn't moved on from Cam. If he's healthy, he's QB1 in Carolina for the future. If he goes down again next year, we're probably in a position to tank for Trev w/o our front office doing a whole lot. It would be a huge mistake to move on from him without an answer on the roster, or without a draft pick where we knew we could get someone we liked.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:43 PM, iknowcool said:

It sounds like we’re 100% committed to tanking 2020 for Trevor Lawrence.  Our owner talking about taking things down and building them back up, and Rhule multiple times referring to a process.  I think we let Newton go and go full blast to tank mode. 

So the plan is to hire a coach with no NFL experience, give him a 70 million dollar contract, and have him go something like 1-15 in his first season?

This sounds like a disaster to me.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

So the plan is to hire a coach with no NFL experience, give him a 70 million dollar contract, and have him go something like 1-15 in his first season?

This sounds like a disaster to me.

That’s Rhule’s thing though isn’t it? One win with Temple his first year, then improvement every year, one win with Baylor the first year, then improvement. 1-15 with his first year in Carolina, add Trevor Lawrence and if I were a fan I’m looking at the NFL thinking, “we got him right where we want em” and your off and running. 

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

That’s Rhule’s thing though isn’t it? One win with Temple his first year, then improvement every year, one win with Baylor the first year, then improvement. 1-15 with his first year in Carolina, add Trevor Lawrence and if I were a fan I’m looking at the NFL thinking, “we got him right where we want em” and your off and running. 

Thats pretty interesting and does reinforce the narrative that the Panthers will tank. But I just think it's harder to come back from a 1-15 season in the NFL where it's not all fun and games like college, because the average careers are shorter and it's harder to earn the respect of the veterans who have been around.

Also I'd think making the jump from college to the NFL there'd be a learning curve that is best tackled by actually trying to win each week.

Edited by Kirill

5 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Thats pretty interesting and does reinforce the narrative that the Panthers will tank. But I just think it's harder to come back from a 1-15 season in the NFL where it's not all fun and games like college, because the average careers are shorter and it's harder to earn the respect of the veterans who have been around.

Also I'd think making the jump from college to the NFL there'd be a learning curve that is best tackled by actually trying to win each week.

I was more joking than anything, but I do think the Panthers do a little reshuffling of funds if you will with some pricier guys on their team by either letting them walking or letting them go. Rhule was given 7 years to build this thing from the ground up it sounds like. I could a retooling if most of the roster so that they won’t be tied to anyone other than who they want to move forward with and slowly add players and pieces, over the course of some years, that fit what they’re trying to do for the long haul. Similar to how the niners did their rebuild, how the bills did theirs, and how the dolphins are currently doing theirs. Maybe not a complete purge all at once like the dolphins but all three of those teams knew a rebuild was in order and got rid of a lot of older regimes “players”. Usually this leads to poor record initially as the cupboards are pretty bare. Everything I’ve heard or read regarding the Panthers kind of tells me that that’s their game plan. If it lands them Lawrence and a whole state of on the fence fans in the process, I don’t think anyone is going to be too upset. 

Never heard of him, so I'll watch the press conference. Oh Lord, not 'Thunder'! So tired of that song. Skipping ahead to Rhule's entrance ...

He looks like a reverend and sounds like a motivational speaker. He has energy to burn and handles the questions well. Like Joe Judge, he has the gift of gab but uses it very differently. Rhule is more of a storyteller. I don't know how his style will carry over to the pros but we're going to find out.