New Medical Consultant Hired

turtle28

‪Redskins adds a new medical consultant

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/07/washington-adds-a-new-medical-consultant/ via @ProFootballTalk‬

This would have never been done w/o Trent Williams standing up for all of the players on the team and the players to come behind them.

Washington announced that Dr. Kevin Wilk will join the organization in that role. Wilk is the associate clinical director for Champion Sports Medicine in Birmingham, Ala. and the director of rehabilitative research at the American Sports Medicine Institute. Per the team’s release, he’s also worked with and/or performed rehabilitation on Michael JordanDrew BreesEli Manning, Derek Jeter, Bo Jackson and other athletes.

Wilk’s hiring comes after the team hired Ryan Vermillion away from the Panthers to be their head athletic trainer.

“I’ve known Kevin Wilk for more than 30 years and his work speaks for itself,” Vermillion said in a statement. “He will be an invaluable part of our operation, providing our staff consultation on athletic performance and rehabilitation. Our goal is to be the best athletic training staff in professional sports and Kevin will help us achieve that goal.”

• Like 2

Once again, if Trent Williams is being truthful about his stance, this has no bearing on it at all.  Inova Health is still the medical provider for the Washington Redskins.  Those are the guys that Williams has his beef with.  Not the S&C staff, nor a medical consultant for the S&C staff.  I'm guessing this guy is replacing James Andrews in that role, or whoever followed him.  

• Like 1

I am completely okay with having anyone that can maybe help with our rehabs and keeping players off the injury list longer then they should. I’m excited too see this team do anything to help with our injury issues. I believe coaching and having players prepared diets and training staff all need to be together. So we will see what happens

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Once again, if Trent Williams is being truthful about his stance, this has no bearing on it at all.  Inova Health is still the medical provider for the Washington Redskins.  Those are the guys that Williams has his beef with.  Not the S&C staff, nor a medical consultant for the S&C staff.  I'm guessing this guy is replacing James Andrews in that role, or whoever followed him.  

Trent has clearly stated he was told by the training/medical staff for the Redskins they didn’t think it was cancerous but what do they know? They’re not oncologists but he did trust them, and they were wrong. He should have gotten a second opinion and that’s on him but, at the same time the Redskins team trainers/medical staff didn’t seem to take it very serious either.

So, if you had a doctor tell you that you didn’t have cancer and to not worry about the growth you had and then, months/a year later you finally got a second opinion bc you were really concerned bc it was getting bigger and found out you had cancer that was nearly to your brain, would you keep the first doctor or the second?

That’s essentially what’s happened here.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, turtle28 said:

Trent has clearly stated he was told by the training/medical staff for the Redskins they didn’t think it was cancerous but what do they know? They’re not oncologists but he did trust them, and they were wrong. He should have gotten a second opinion and that’s on him but, at the same time the Redskins team trainers/medical staff didn’t seem to take it very serious either.

So, if you had a doctor tell you that you didn’t have cancer and to not worry about the growth you had and then, months/a year later you finally got a second opinion bc you were really concerned bc it was getting bigger and found out you had cancer that was nearly to your brain, would you keep the first doctor or the second?

That’s essentially what’s happened here.

I know the situation surrounding Trent.  The problem is that the S&C staff, as well as a medical consultant, do not play into his beef with the club.  The beef with the club lies with Inova Health and Bruce Allen.  Bruce Allen is gone, but Inova Health is still the doctor staff of the Washington Redskins.  

• Like 1