Patriots ST Joe Judge named Head Coach

Acgott

Whether the guy's ST units have had success means nothing. Can he inspire, can he manage games, can he lead. That's what matters and none of us know whether this is a good hire or not. The one thing I am happy about is that it all but confirms the head coach will not be calling plays. I think this is massively important.

1 hour ago, Shockey1979 said:

We'll have Chase Young for him to work with once your GM drops the ball ;)

Ha!  You guys should try to get Clowney or Ngokue in FA, then draft Okudah or Simmons - whoever the Lions don't draft.  You won't be so crappy on defense with those guys.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Ha!  You guys should try to get Clowney or Ngokue in FA, then draft Okudah or Simmons - whoever the Lions don't draft.  You won't be so crappy on defense with those guys.

Ngokue is a popular target here. Same with both Simmons and Okudah. If we had a GM that was halfway decent, we’d trade back.  Instead, we’ll take an IDL cause you gotta stop the run in the pass happy NFL 

• Like 1

I've never heard of Joe Judge until I read the announcement that he was hired as the next NYG head coach, so I was very skeptical. I don't know if he'll work out for us or not, but the things I've been reading about him have been very promising. He's a winner, leader, and has high football IQ. Check this article out:

https://www.giants.com/news/joe-judge-expert-reaction-new-head-coach-hire-new-england-patriots?sf227715026=1&fbclid=IwAR3cgaHEhae8ROKABUeVGX4S0GOhejihKC5U4-fr5g2J90t7f5jCpeoKypI

Know this about Joe Judge >> spent three seasons under Nick Saban at Alabama and eight seasons under Bill Belichick at New England -- has three Super Bowl rings and two National Championship rings.

He’s very intense. Joe is really passionate about what he does. He has a hyper attention to detail; there is no stone unturned by the time we get to the game, and we feel super prepared...

Edited by w4rrior723

On 1/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, Gmen19851 said:

Not sure how this is relevant to anything?

It’s just an interesting tidbit. Plus he threw someone over a bench when playing back in like 04.  Pretty fiery guy lol. 

What does everyone think about Marvin Lewis as DC? 

2 hours ago, Kodaraw said:

It’s just an interesting tidbit. Plus he threw someone over a bench when playing back in like 04.  Pretty fiery guy lol. 

What does everyone think about Marvin Lewis as DC? 

That 2000 Ravens defense is a long ways off. Game has changed alot since. It's not like he ever fielded a dominant D in Cincy as HC. Reading up on it though sounds like it was mostly a hybrid scheme but heavy on 4-3 formations. I'm still in the school of thought that our defensive talent aligns better with a 4-3.

My other thought process about having an OC and/or DC who was previously a head coach like Lewis is how much weight their opinions will put on Judge. He was hired to call the shots, not be a proxy puppet for a more experienced coordinator.

32 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

That 2000 Ravens defense is a long ways off. Game has changed alot since. It's not like he ever fielded a dominant D in Cincy as HC. Reading up on it though sounds like it was mostly a hybrid scheme but heavy on 4-3 formations. I'm still in the school of thought that our defensive talent aligns better with a 4-3.

My other thought process about having an OC and/or DC who was previously a head coach like Lewis is how much weight their opinions will put on Judge. He was hired to call the shots, not be a proxy puppet for a more experienced coordinator.

I agree with your latter point, but I think an experienced coordinator with prior HC experience could help Judge come along. I don’t know if Lewis is vocal (for lack of a better word) to usurp and attempt to run the show from a coordinator position.  If so, I agree that it’s a bad hire. 

Some HC that go back to coordinators are better at coordinators than HC - Shumar, Phillips, Norv Turner come to mind.  Hell even Freddie Kitchens was better as OC than HC. And he is likely our new OC lol