Giants hire Joe Judge as Head Coach

Hawkfan191

10 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Surely the onus should be on a good hire not a "splashy hire". How often do some of the retreads work out?

Theres a boatload of work to do with the Giants roster, maybe building things up over 2-3 years with a headcoach with a vision is what they want?

I think the main surprising thing is that Gettleman is gone if this hire doesn't work out so you would have expected him to hitch himself to someone with more experience.

Gettleman's media tour was almost embarrassingly humbling. He outright admitted to potentially taking on a reduced role if that is what the new HC and owners wanted. Gettleman definitely had a say, but I think Mara and Tisch had more. 

The "vision" thing is important, as is putting together a good staff and completely reinvigorating or reinventing the process. Gettleman sounds like everyone's great grandpa when it comes to talking about new technology and such so it wasn't conveyed well in his presser, but the facts are the Giants are completely redoing their scouting software and analytics departments with new hires and new software. Mara and Tisch definitely were looking for someone who is on board with that.

What exactly are people's evaluation of coaching candidates on this site? That they have a recognizable name to casual fans?

- Judge has been ST coordinator on the Patriots for several years

- The Patriots' ST unit tends to be one of the best in the league every year

- In the past, ST coaches who have been hired as HCs have been successful

I think the only thing you can knock about this hire is that Patriots' assistant coaches don't have a good track record as head coaches. I do think that's a valid point, but let's not pretend that Judge has been some horrible coordinator on some horrible team.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To me, the far more relevant criticism than where he worked was that he has zero management experience. At least a coordinator would have some experience with guys reporting to him.

I think you can also fairly criticize the process for the number of interviews that they conducted. They still had an interview left with Josh McDaniels on Wednesday and there are a number of other candidates they could have met with later in the week/next week. They could even have had Judge do a second interview later on. There’s no point to rush into a decision when the only other team with an opening is the Browns. Sit on the interview for a few days and mull it over. I don’t think Joe Judge is giving the Giants a deadline.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

I think the only thing you can knock about this hire is that Patriots' assistant coaches don't have a good track record as head coaches. I do think that's a valid point, but let's not pretend that Judge has been some horrible coordinator on some horrible team.

Judge has never managed anyone unless he worked at a fast food place, and now is going to have a dozen or more direct reports, with a ton more people that he'll be indirectly managing. 

Judge has always had a fairly small set of responsibilities - he was managing a phase that takes up, what, 10 plays per game and has at most 7 or so guys on the 53 that are critical? Now he's managing the 53 players on the roster, working with the GM on a free agent pool, managing scouting staff, managing the 10 or so other coaches, etc. How do we know that he'll divide his time effectively?

The short way of saying this is that he's taken a job that's like 100 times bigger than his previous job. There's a ton of legitimate criticism you can have about moving a guy 3 rungs up the ladder at once instead of taking it slower.

Just now, Broncofan said:

I prefer trying with an unknown than a known zero growth / mediocre HC hire.  Hiring Garrett as an OC would negate a lot of the potential there, though.   Garrett’s OC tenure was uninspiring, to be kind.  

Well, considering this is Gettleman's actual first head coaching hire period, I'm not sure how to grade it...it certainly didn't work out for Dorsey and his first hire, after a long GM tenure elsewhere either.  

2 minutes ago, winitall said:

I think you can also fairly criticize the process for the number of interviews that they conducted. They still had an interview left with Josh McDaniels on Wednesday and there are a number of other candidates they could have met with later in the week/next week. They could even have had Judge do a second interview later on. There’s no point to rush into a decision when the only other team with an opening is the Browns. Sit on the interview for a few days and mull it over. I don’t think Joe Judge is giving the Giants a deadline.  

100%. I was listing criticisms of Judge's experience and skills that he hasn't demonstrated yet.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

There's only been one in recent history.  John Harbaugh.  I don't think you can say that's a trend.  

100% of special teams coordinators hired to be head coaches in the last 15 years have won a superbowl. Giants are really diving head first into analytics with this hiring.

• Like 6

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Special teams coordinator. That's not an OC or DC where you have multiple position coaches under you.

John Harbaugh was a special teams coordinator prior to becoming HC of the Baltimore Ravens, and one could argue he's been one of the greatest coaching hires in the last 15 years or so.

Obviously there's little correlation between the two outside of their official titles prior to becoming head coaches, but at least it's not unprecedented for a special teams coach to make the leap and become a successful HC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

What has BoB done thost other (~4?) years without Watson?

Beat up on Tennessee and Jacksonville teams that were perpetually picking in the top 5, that's what. Also splitting against a Colts team that was woefully mismanaged by Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano, starring a one armed Andrew Luck. 

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Look, I am not saying he is a "good" coach. Im saying he isnt "awful". Not everything is black and white. Again, words have meaning. He could just be a "mediocre" coach. That possibility exist. 

Semantics, tbh. The chemical composition of a turd is the same, regardless if it's a soft turd or a hard turd... so I just refer to it as a turd.

• Like 1