Giants hire Joe Judge as Head Coach

Hawkfan191

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think Harbaugh is an anomaly though. When he was hired, he had 2 of the greatest players to ever play the game on the team to basically lead the way and control the locker room. 

Once those guys left, Harbaugh's value tanked until Kubiak came to town in 2014. Then it tanked again until Harbaugh changed basically everything and bet on Lamar and went all in. Basically, Harbaugh rode the coat tails of Ray and Ed to a Superbowl, then when it became his team it was pretty bad until he finally let go of Flacco and went all in on Lamar and changed how he did things. Prior to that, let's not forget how close he was to being shown the door.

I think that's slightly under-crediting Harbs, but I do agree he benefited coming into a rather fortuitous situation, as well as from taking a giant gamble when it looked like he was on the brink of being fired. With that said, to the original point, regardless of circumstance Harbaugh showed you can both learn on the fly and be successful when given a position significantly higher than that what you are coming from.  So, for all the reasons to knock the Judge hire, simply stating he was merely a ST coordinator prior to this wouldn't be at the top of my list.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

BB is like that Italian Grandmother who is a master chef, who pretends to share the secret family recipe with the semi-loved and semi-hated daughter in law, only to intentionally change or omit a key ingredient, and then offer a plainly fake/seemingly genuine "Don't worry dear, you'll do better next time" jab at midfield after a sound thumping. 

You took my joke and added a bunch more words and context and told a better story! 

I'm offended. 

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The players on that SF defense though aren't very good outside of a few star players (Bosa and Sherman, mainly). You can't overstate how good of a job he's done on that team this year.

This may be the hottest take in this thread. Couldn’t really be further from the truth either.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Oh, so outside of his division he was still hovering somewhere in the .500 range? 

Doesnt sound like an awful HC.  Sounds like a mediocre one. 

3-6, so .333333333333333 if you want to get technical. That's awful in my book, but my book is clearly different than yours.

18 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Out of 32 HCs, he is closer to #16 than #1 or #32. Hence, mediocre. 

That would be .500, not .333333333333333. 

As I have been saying in my last few responses, you're arguing semantics at this point.

4 minutes ago, TheBeast23 said:

Technically he is until the 14th is when it expires. How that works with the McCarthy hire I don’t know 

I guess McCarthy doesn't technically start until the 14th? I don't know. They didn't fire Garrett so it is weird circumstances. Just waiting for the contract to expire.

3 minutes ago, ACO said:

I guess McCarthy doesn't technically start until the 14th? I don't know. They didn't fire Garrett so it is weird circumstances. Just waiting for the contract to expire.

I don’t know If this was a way to block the giants or whatever but it’s truly ****ty to do that unless Garrett simply wants to finish it out and take a year off 

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

3-6, so .333333333333333 if you want to get technical. That's awful in my book, but my book is clearly different than yours.

That would be .500, not .333333333333333. 

As I have been saying in my last few responses, you're arguing semantics at this point.

I just don't trust your numbers and I am too lazy to look it up. I just assumed you were being hyperbolic and it was more like 4-2 in division and 5-5 out of it.

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

He could just as easily succeed as he could fail

Not really. 

Success/failure in this league is not 50/50, especially from a legitimate unknown. When it comes to unproven commodities - and that means coaches, players, whoever - you’re much safer predicting they flame out than the reverse. Doesn’t mean jack about Judge’s outlook because every situation is unique, but on average success is definitely not just as likely as failure.

• Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

I just don't trust your numbers and I am too lazy to look it up. I just assumed you were being hyperbolic and it was more like 4-2 in division and 5-5 out of it.

No, I'm being dead serious. 5-1 to 6-0 in division, paired with 4-6 to 3-7 out of the division is exactly how it played out pre-Watson (and that was with JJ Watt playing at an MVP level). 

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, I'm being dead serious. 5-1 to 6-0 in division, paired with 4-6 to 3-7 out of the division is exactly how it played out pre-Watson (and that was with JJ Watt playing at an MVP level). 

2013: 2-14 (kubiak)

2014: 9-7, 5 out of division wins

2015: 9-7, 4 wins out of division

2016: 9-7, 4 wins out of division. 

2017: 4-12, 3 wins out of division.

31 wins. 15 in division. 16 out of division. 

Looks like you were mistaken. Love you still doe. 

Edited by Matts4313