Giants hire Joe Judge as Head Coach

Hawkfan191

39 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Looks like you were mistaken. Love you still doe.

Gah dammit, you're going to make me work today.

Reminder:

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Put in an extra two W against a bottom feeder in another division (beating up on the likes of the Raiders, Lions, Jets, etc) and maybe a few wins against other middle ground teams and you have a string of 9-7 seasons. Texans didn't cross that 10+ win mark until Watson showed up.

2014: 9-7, 5 out of division wins

1. Washington (4-12)

2. Oakland (3-13)

3. Cleveland (7-9)

4. Buffalo (9-7)

5. Baltimore (10-6)

(Please note, this team missed the playoffs).

2015: 9-7, 4 wins out of division

4-6 out of division, as I stated.

2016: 9-7, 4 wins out of division. 

4-6 out of division, as I stated.

2017: 4-12, 3 wins out of division.

3-7 out of division, as I stated.

That's 20-30 over 50 out of division games, which comes out to... *drumroll*

Arguing about semantics.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I mean, your 49ers waited to take Kyle from us, and look how that turned out. I understand that coaching staffs need to be built very quickly and there isn't really an "offseason" break for coaches in the NFL, but sometimes you need to be patient in your coaching search.

Like, I wanted my Falcons to fire Quinn and hire Stefanski since his offense isn't that far removed from the Kyle offense that worked so well. Then it came out that Quinn would be coming back and I groaned, but if teams keep rushing headfirst into finding their coaches, maybe there will be a chance that we can snag Stefanski in 2021.

I think the difference was Kyle has had connections with his dad. Knew who he was going to hire on his offense coaching staff. But we ended up hiring a unknown D coordinator who was a LB coach that comes from Pete Carroll coaching tree. It worked out now but it could have blown up in our face farly easily. We even had to completely rehaul or positional coaches this off-season on defense.

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Evan Ingram, if Shepherd can stay healthy, tate, slayton, Kaden Smith has potential as #2 TE. Not including there oline is going to continue to improve. Daniel Jones should continue to improve and hopefully drops down his fumbles. There is far worst teams. 

I just went through the teams yesterday. It’s the Giants or Jags for me as the #1 pick next season. Depending if the Jags lose Yannick. Can you go through all 32 teams and tell me your worst two...?

As for the Giants Offense.. I like Engram but he’s always hyped up too much. He is what he is. A Top 12-14ish TE. Shepherd is nothing special. Tate is past his prime. Slayton is a 5th Rounder and for good reason, he can’t get good separation. He’s good for bombs. Daniel Jones showed flashes but A LOT to be desired. A lot. 

Edited by BayRaider

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I just went through the teams yesterday. It’s the Giants or Jags for me as the #1 pick next season. Depending if the Jags lose Yannick. Can you go through all 32 teams and tell me your worst two...?

As for the Giants Offense.. I like Engram but he’s always hyped up too much. He is what he is. A Top 12-14ish TE. Shepherd is nothing special. Tate is past his prime. Slayton is a 5th Rounder and for good reason, he can’t get good separation. He’s good for bombs. Daniel Jones showed flashes but A LOT to be desired. A lot. 

Not true in the slightest.

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think that's slightly under-crediting Harbs, but I do agree he benefited coming into a rather fortuitous situation, as well as from taking a giant gamble when it looked like he was on the brink of being fired. With that said, to the original point, regardless of circumstance Harbaugh showed you can both learn on the fly and be successful when given a position significantly higher than that what you are coming from.  So, for all the reasons to knock the Judge hire, simply stating he was merely a ST coordinator prior to this wouldn't be at the top of my list.

It’s not slightly under-crediting Harbaugh, it’s massively. 

That same team - sans a rookie Joe Flacco - who’s “coat tails John rode to success”, was 5-11 the year before he got there, and hadn’t made consecutive playoffs since 00-01. That team went 11-5 and to an AFC Championship in Harbaugh’s first year, and made 5 consecutive postseasons and won a super bowl.

Flaccoseagulls has always been hilariously, hyperbolically critical of Harbaugh for some reason. Harbaugh’s never credited with our successes, but he always takes the brunt of our failures, apparently.

Dude isn’t even remotely credible when it comes to discussing John Harbaugh and his coaching ability.

• Like 1

So did Gettleman panic with this hire? Was he assuming he could pry Rivera away from Washington last minute before he signed? Get McCarthy with no problem, because this as about an off the wall out of the blue hire as say Sean McVays Wayerboy going to the Bengals last year?

Going to be interesting watching his Staff get put together.

Hi this is Joe Judge HC of the NYG, Wade would you like to be DC? Who is this, how did you get this number? Joe Judge! Who????? Joe from the Patriots! Ohhhh Judge🤯🤯🤯, sorry damn Telemarketers these days you never can be to sure.....??? How are you? Just got the Giants Job looking for a Great Mind like yourself to fill the staff. You interested? Sure Let me talk it over with the Wife and I'll get right back to ya!

Honey, please Google search Joe Judge for me, We might have an offer?? East Coast no clue who he is ,but an offer!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

that enture post was almost solely his opinion, theres no point in debating it he just wants to be right. .id bet good money the giants are not the 2nd worst team.

It is my opinion, after going over hours of every team. I could be wrong absolutely. But for someone to disagree I’d like them to name their Bottom 2-3 teams next year and give me reasons. Saying you disagree is easy if you’re not giving any examples. All I want is a good discussion and the person disagreeing to give a substitute of their choices. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

It is my opinion, after going over hours of every team. I could be wrong absolutely. But for someone to disagree I’d like them to name their Bottom 2-3 teams next year and give me reasons. Saying you disagree is easy if you’re not giving any examples. All I want is a good discussion and the person disagreeing to give a substitute of their choices. 

I'm fine with someone calling the Giants one of the worst teams. They have been the past few years. I have a problem with obviously wrong statements to back it up. If you watched any Giants game Slayton played in, you'd see how consistently he gets open.

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

How long has Watson been the starter for a full season for the Texans?

How long has BoB been a coach?

What has BoB done thost other (~4?) years without Watson?

Look, I am not saying he is a "good" coach. Im saying he isnt "awful". Not everything is black and white. Again, words have meaning. He could just be a "mediocre" coach. That possibility exist. 

BoB is awful. Let's take a dive shall we?

BoB was hired in 2014, taking over a 2-14 team and turning them into a 9-7 team. It seems impressive on its face, but not really. Somehow, with a top 10 scoring defense, top 5 rushing attack, and an efficient (?!) Ryan Fitzpatrick, they pretty much only beat terrible teams. They beat the Bills (9-7) and the Ravens (10-6), but their other wins were against the hapless Raiders, Titans (x2), Jaguars (x2), and Redskins (12 wins total). They missed the playoffs.

Next year? 9-7 again, but this time they made it. They had a top 10 defense, an average rushing attack (no Arian Foster), and 4 QBs playing musical chairs (Hoyer played ok I guess). They had 2 good wins against the 12-4 Bengals & the 10-6 Jets. Their other victories came against teams ranging from hapless to bad to average. They got annihilated by the Smith-led Chiefs 30-0.

Do you spot a pattern here?

Next year? Yep, 9-7 again; this time led by some tall guy (what was his name again?) and a decent rushing attack. Yes they had a couple nice victories but played a bunch of lousy teams. Well at least they won impressively against the 12-4 Raiders before getting trounced by the Patriots. 

Yes O'Brien took some crappy QBs to the playoffs, but their division was hilariously bad.

Then, in 2017 he got Watson, who played lights out but only had a 3-4 record before getting injured. Now you may ask how he kept his job after they went 4-12, and, to this day, no one knows. I guess Watson getting injured gave him an excuse, but he had bad QBs before and did ok.

Now after 2 Watson seasons, they've made the playoffs twice and went 1-1 in the playoffs. Sure you can give BoB credit for trouncing a stupendously bad division and making the playoffs, but he's really bad. I haven't even got to the coaching yet. Bad strategies, unprepared players, no adjustments.

You wanna compare coaches winning % in their first 4 years (hired in 2014)?

- Bill O'Brien - 48.4% (kept job)
- Mike Zimmer - 60.9% (kept job)
- Jim Caldwell - 60% (fired)
- Mike Pettine - 34.6% (fired after 2 years)
- Jay Gruden - 47.5% (kept job, fired 5 games into year 6)
- Lovie Smith - 25% (fired after 2 years)

Well, you get the picture, I hope.

Edited by Joe_is_the_best
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I stand by it.

Outside of Bosa, Buckner, Armstead, Sherman and maybe Fred Warner, the talent level on that defense this year wasn't really all that high, and they played through a lot of injuries. Dee Ford was only there sporatically, Jimmie Ward and Tartt are injured. When they were fully healthy they were dominant, though.

How many units would be deemed as highly talented if you omit the top 5ish players? 

Seattle defense is squat sans Sherman, Thomas, Kam, and Wagner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

When will teams learn? His only real experience at Alabama and in New England. This is a recipe for disaster. 

I’ve always kind of liked the Giants, they’re only east coast team in any sport that I like, and I thought they were a well-run organization. Can a Giants fan or someone who closely follows the inner workings of that organization answer a question for me - does Gettleman have free reign to hire his choice no matter what or do Mara and Tisch have significant influence? 

Don't think anyone answered this question. For the Giants the owners decide on who the head coach will be. Reese did not want Mcadoo as the coach.

• Like 1