Giants hire Joe Judge as Head Coach

Hawkfan191

9 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

You wanna compare coaches winning % in their first 4 years (hired in 2014)?

- Bill O'Brien - 48.4% (kept job)
- Mike Zimmer - 60.9% (kept job)
- Jim Caldwell - 60% (fired)
- Mike Pettine - 34.6% (fired after 2 years)
- Jay Gruden - 47.5% (kept job, fired 5 games into year 6)
- Lovie Smith - 25% (fired after 2 years)

Well, you get the picture, I hope.

Do only HCs count from 2014? 

1. Bert Bell. Record: 10-46-2. Winning Percentage: .179.
  2. Hue Jackson. Record: 11-44-1. Winning Percentage: .205. ...
  3. Steve Spagnuolo. Record: 11-41. Winning Percentage: .212. ...
  4. Gus Bradley. Record: 14-48. Winning Percentage: .226. ...
  5. David Shula. Record: 19-52. ...
  6. Jimmy Phelan. Record: 13-35-2. ...
  7. Dave McGinnis. Record: 17-40. ...
  8. Joe Bugel. Record: 24-56. ...

^^^ those coaches are awful

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1443665-50-worst-nfl-head-coaches-of-all-time

^^^ those coaches are terrible

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

^^^ There are 115 HC's in NFL history with worse win %. 98 with a better win %. Thats almost right in the middle. Thats what we call "mediocre" 

aw·ful

1. very bad or unpleasant.
  1. "the place smelled awful"

used to emphasize the extent of something, especially something unpleasant or negative.
  2. "I've made an awful fool of myself"
adjective: terrible
  1. 1.
    extremely or distressingly bad or serious.
adjective: mediocre
  1. of only moderate quality; not very good.

Words have meaning. @ET80 its more than semantics. Its about being overly dramatic. 

Edited by Matts4313

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Words have meaning. @ET80 its more than semantics. Its about being overly dramatic. 

So, where is the barometer for each? What is the cut off between "awful" and "terrible" and "mediocre"? Who determines which is what? How do we manage these cut offs under circumstances that are not universal across each person? How do we differentiate between a 4-12 season with a .334 opponent winning percentage vs a 4-12 season with a .667 opponent winning percentage?

Words have meaning, but you have to define said meanings if you're going to create partitions within these meanings. You're creating categories, now you have to define cutoffs for each - when the reality is, these categories can be collapsed into a singular "bad" category and nobody would notice. You could call each of these HCs "mediocre" "awful" or "terrible" and nobody with a reasonable understanding of these phrases would be bothered by it.

So, you're creating semantics... to argue semantics. That's new, at least.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Do only HCs count from 2014? 

^^^ those coaches are awful

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1443665-50-worst-nfl-head-coaches-of-all-time

^^^ those coaches are terrible

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

^^^ There are 115 HC's in NFL history with worse win %. 98 with a better win %. Thats almost right in the middle. Thats what we call "mediocre" 

Here you go citing the dictionary, but you didn't seem to understand the point. The record comparison is not apples to apples, it was just used to show he deserved firing.

You are glossing over all the context. O'Brien had an under .500 in one of the worst divisions ever (first 4 years, before full Watson). The Texans had 15 wins against their division (2014-2017) which is 62.5%.  The rest of the league was 61% against the AFCS (Texans excluded). 

Zimmer's Vikings were 2-1, Caldwell's Lions were 2-1, Pettine's Browns were 2-2, Gruden's Redskins were 2-1, and Smith's Buccs were 0-3 (lmao). O'Brien was spotted ~4 games per season with plenty of talent & won 40% of the time against everyone else. If that's not 'extremely bad' then what is? OK he wasn't HISTORICALLY awful, but still awful.

Edited by Joe_is_the_best
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

It is my opinion, after going over hours of every team. I could be wrong absolutely. But for someone to disagree I’d like them to name their Bottom 2-3 teams next year and give me reasons. Saying you disagree is easy if you’re not giving any examples. All I want is a good discussion and the person disagreeing to give a substitute of their choices. 

There is a total of 1 team in the final 8 that was also in the final 8 last year. The league is full of parity. Anyone prognosticating how the 2020 season is going to turn out, three months before the draft and free agency, has a lot of time on their hands. 

Honestly I don’t see why there’s the hate on for this hire for the Giants. Interview a bunch of people and hire the smartest one you find. If they feel like that’s their guy you pull the trigger. I think that’s better than a mediocre retread of a has-been coach. 

People calling this an awful hire already are funny ‘cause honestly they have no clue. Harbaugh was an unknown special teams guy and look at the Ravens. Belichick, while known for being a defensive guy got his start coaching long snappers. There’s a lot more to being a head coach than coordinating a defensive or offensive scheme. It’s more of a management position. Time will tell, but we all know fans love their hot takes. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

Digging into his history, he seems like a low key solid HC candidate to be honest. He's been around some fine coaches for sure:

Recruited by and played for Jackie Sherrill 

Coached under Sylvester Croom at MSU

Coached and rubbed shoulders with Nick Sabam, Jim McIlwain, Kirby Smart.

Coached for most of the decade under The Hoodie while being tasked with multiple roles. 

You can definitely see what kind of influencers he's had and how he'll probably conduct business. I didn't know anything about him prior to today, but it doesn't surprise me that he would interview incredibly well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'd take him. Similar to Shurmur, guy was in well over his head as a head coach, but is still a good coach in a more limited capacity.

Yeah Freddie has a good track record as a position coach. He was just clueless on how to be a HC.

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You don't need to know how it's going to know to think it's funny that when a team takes a complete shot in the dark when they're hiring for one of the most 32 coveted, well-payed positions in all of football.

If my dog got named to be the captain of the next spaceshuttle, it might go well or it might not, but you don't need to know that in advance to know that NASA passed over some more qualified, known quantity candidates.

Your dog is perfectly qualified for the next space shuttle mission, as they have all been retired.