Giants hire Joe Judge as Head Coach

Hawkfan191

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

Haven't read the entire thread yet so It may of been thrown out there but was John Harbaugh a sought after coach when he got hired? ST coaches seem to turn out fine after they get a HC gig. Only 2 that come to mind are BB and Harbaugh though.

Marv Levy, **** Vermeil.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Since it has been 12 years almost to the day since a ST coordinator got hired as a HC, I went and dug up the old FF thread from when John Harbaugh was hired.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=190456

Nothing groundbreaking, sadly. We were having the same conversations then that we are now.

Some Browns fan in that thread:

“Yay for the Ratbirds not getting Marty or Garrett. 
It cracks me up all the Raven fans trying to act happy about the hire too. 
Good luck with that over the next 5 years 😂”

*Wins super bowl literally 5 years later*

And hey...come to think of it...which fan base was particularly positive of Lamar Jackson’ impending demise this past offseason?

Time is a flat circle lmao

• Like 3

All the people ripping this crack me up. They probably know little to nothing about the guy. If owners only went with "big" names for hires, a lot of great coaches would have never been discovered. I don't know if this is a good or bad hire, but at least I admit I don't know. 

53 minutes ago, bomont said:

All the people ripping this crack me up. They probably know little to nothing about the guy. If owners only went with "big" names for hires, a lot of great coaches would have never been discovered. I don't know if this is a good or bad hire, but at least I admit I don't know. 

Yeah I have no idea about this guy. I just know guys like Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh, even though he was a really good ST Coach, were not well known when they were hired. Idk about others but I wasnt very familiar with Sean Payton either tbh and there have been others as well I'm sure. As I said earlier some of the best coaches are the ones you dont even know yet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It is my opinion, after going over hours of every team. I could be wrong absolutely. But for someone to disagree I’d like them to name their Bottom 2-3 teams next year and give me reasons. Saying you disagree is easy if you’re not giving any examples. All I want is a good discussion and the person disagreeing to give a substitute of their choices. 

again, not worth arguing if youve already made up your mind. darius slayton can get separation, even engram is a whole let better tan a top 12 te, jones had an extremely promising rookie year, they have a ton of cap and are picking early in the draft. they need help on the oline and could use another outside wr but the o is pretty solid. if they invest correctly in the defense theyll be ok.

bengals, dolphins, raiders, pats (depending on qb), redskins, and jags all could easily be worse. honestly expecting a close to .500 season from the giants this year.

My initial impression was that the Giants made a terrible mistake with this hire, but after reflecting on it I think I like it a lot. Judge is someone that can grow with this team, but I think he’s someone that you bring within the organization to be your CEO type HC similar to a Harbaugh or Tomlin, not someone that’s a OC doubling as a HC. Those guys tend to last longer and build their own coaching trees. Great special teams coaches typically specialize in getting the most out of a merry band of young players and journeymen, they get guys to buy into their unit on the team. So its really a position that’s a smaller scale version of what a HC does.

I initially just saw it reported that he was their WR coach and I thought it wasn’t a quality hire, but with this information it makes sense. We’ve also seemingly saw Brian Flores have success with the Dolphins so clearly certain coaches on the BB tree CAN have success and perhaps he’s getting better at producing these guys as he gets nearer and nearer to the end of his coaching cycle where his greatness may also be measured in the success of his coaching tree and notable successors. We’ll be able to Judge this moving forward... especially as we get more info on what Flores can do with more talent in Miami.

• Like 4

I think this time next season, everyone will be looking for their own Joe Judge - young, but a good "leader of men" type who will let their coordinators and position coaches handle the details, while directing the bigger picture with the GM.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think this time next season, everyone will be looking for their own Joe Judge - young, but a good "leader of men" type who will let their coordinators and position coaches handle the details, while directing the bigger picture with the GM.

Copy cat league of course if it works out. Thanks to McVay everyone believes you need to hire a guy fresh out of diapers to have success 

• Like 1

Ahhh, who is Joe Judge?  I've never heard of the guy, but if there is one thing I've learned it is to not question the Giants front office.  Everybody laughed when they drafted Danny Dimes, but they ended up getting a good QB.  For their sake, I hope Joe Judge ends up being a good one.