Giants hire Joe Judge as Head Coach

Hawkfan191

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Ahhh, who is Joe Judge?  I've never heard of the guy, but if there is one thing I've learned it is to not question the Giants front office.  Everybody laughed when they drafted Danny Dimes, but they ended up getting a good QB.  For their sake, I hope Joe Judge ends up being a good one.

So don’t question the giants because of Danny dimes? Not the other countless questionable moves they had in the past Coaching and draft? They make one possible good move and they are free of criticism now lol as long as Gettlemen is there. They are doomed

Just now, TheBeast23 said:

So don’t question the giants because of Danny dimes? Not the other countless questionable moves they had in the past Coaching and draft? They make one possible good move and they are free of criticism now lol as long as Gettlemen is there. They are doomed

I don't follow them that closely.  About all I really know about them is that their owner's daughter is really good looking.  I thought they were crazy when they drafted DD, but I'm far from a draft expert.  I don't know anything about Joe Judge, so I'm withholding judgment on him as a head coach hire.

11 minutes ago, TheBeast23 said:

So we’re going to ignore that so far Gettleman was right on his three most scrutinized decisions? Passing on Darnold, trading OBJ, drafting Daniel Jones over Haskins.

Doomed! Doomed I tells ya! 

19 minutes ago, Gmen said:

So we’re going to ignore that so far Gettleman was right on his three most scrutinized decisions? Passing on Darnold, trading OBJ, drafting Daniel Jones over Haskins.

Doomed! Doomed I tells ya! 

I’ll give you jones but I wouldn’t be pumped up about depleting your offense with trading OBJ. You weren’t particularly right about him lol he was just fed up and you off loaded him. He’s still a very good WR in this league and your team needs that more than ever outside of Barkley there is no major threat. If your going to sit there and say Gettlemen is good for the team your blind. Your fan base for the most part wanted him gone. So yes I stand by it. If Gettlemen is there your team is doomed but because he makes 3 good moves in how many years he’s been with the giants means he’s safe. Gotcha. 

Edited by TheBeast23

1 hour ago, TheBeast23 said:

Copy cat league of course if it works out. Thanks to McVay everyone believes you need to hire a guy fresh out of diapers to have success 

I think there's a slight shift in dictomy here - yeah, Judge is really young like McVay, but this feels more like an attempt to replicate what Tennessee did with Mike Vrabel. NYG is looking for a "leader of men" who can let the offensive and defensive coaches bring the creativity to the Xs and Os, who can let the players do what they do best, but gives both players and coaches the vision and mission that all can buy into.

Vrabel is young, a former position coach and really didn't provide a wow factor with his Xs and Os knowledge (his one year as a DC saw a Texans defense go from top 5 to bottom 20s) but he was someone who saw the big picture - and was able to position those who did know the Xs and Os into a spot to execute towards a specific vision.

"Spider Y2 Banana" wasn't worth a damn to guys like this, but "out-physical the guy in front of you" or "play faster by playing simple" and the ever important "do your job" take priority in the building. Getting players, coaches and football staff to buy into these concepts is more important than being the most creative on the whiteboard. (Both are important, mind you - but if you had to prioritize, go with the guy who can install beliefs over a gameplan).

A HC should be like a CEO - building the underlying vision and inspiring everyone to buy into it, not building the day-to-day process that's a step above the underlying vision. I think that's who Judge is, a guy being brought in to be the key leader of the team.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TheBeast23 said:

I’ll give you jones but I wouldn’t be pumped up about depleting your offense with trading OBJ. You weren’t particularly right about him lol he was just fed up and you off loaded him. He’s still a very good WR in this league and your team needs that more than ever outside of Barkley there is no major threat. If your going to sit there and say Gettlemen is good for the team your blind. Your fan base for the most part wanted him gone years ago. So yes I stand by it. If Gettlemen is there your team is doomed but because he makes 3 good moves in how many years he’s been with the giants means he’s safe. Gotcha. 

Gettleman drafted a rookie WR in the fifth round that had 750 yards and 8 TDs, compared to OBJs 1000 yards, 4 TDs this year. And he didn’t cost $18 million per year, or ask opposing coaches and players to trade for him before and after games. 

Gettleman hasn’t been without flaws. He’s drafted well, but the veteran free agents he’s brought on have been busts (Solder, Ogletree, Bethea). However, the moves that were most criticized, the moves that gave people this “the giants are doomed” mindset, so far appear to be good moves. 

The Giants will have over $80 million in cap space this season. Gettleman will have a chance to redeem himself in regards to free agents. But I like the young core of this team. He’s drafted well. 

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Gettleman drafted a rookie WR in the fifth round that had 750 yards and 8 TDs, compared to OBJs 1000 yards, 4 TDs this year. And he didn’t cost $18 million per year, or ask opposing coaches and players to trade for him before and after games. 

Gettleman hasn’t been without flaws. He’s drafted well, but the veteran free agents he’s brought on have been busts (Solder, Ogletree, Bethea). However, the moves that were most criticized, the moves that gave people this “the giants are doomed” mindset, so far appear to be good moves. 

The Giants will have over $80 million in cap space this season. Gettleman will have a chance to redeem himself in regards to free agents. But I like the young core of this team. He’s drafted well. 

My mistake. I thought Gettlemen has been employed a tad longer than he has and mix some of Reese decisions in with his. Doing a little research I see he’s a good draft guy. No luck with FAs. Seems they are paying for Reese decisions in dead money and unfortunately never hitting in the draft. My mistake 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

Yeah and imagine the numbers OBJ would’ve had if he was still here. How on Earth was Gettleman right on OBJ, and drafting Jones over Haskins and Darnold? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yeah and imagine the numbers OBJ would’ve had if he was still here. How on Earth was Gettleman right on OBJ, and drafting Jones over Haskins and Darnold? 

There were Redskins fans who were defending Bruce Allen on twitter up until he got fired. @Gmen is a good dude but Gettleman has been awful. I hope they keep him for 10 years like we kept Bruce.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:32 PM, minutemancl said:

Since it has been 12 years almost to the day since a ST coordinator got hired as a HC, I went and dug up the old FF thread from when John Harbaugh was hired.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=190456

Nothing groundbreaking, sadly. We were having the same conversations then that we are now.

thank u for the blast from the past :$ always gets me nostalgic