Giants hire Joe Judge as Head Coach

Hawkfan191

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

Yep. The same people roasting this one were the same ones praising hires like McDaniels, Gus Bradley, Gase his first time around, etc. i'm sure. If it's not a big-time coordinator name, people don't like it. 

Big name hires aren't always the right move.

Everyone in JAX/most people on here were crediting us so much for what ended up being one of the worst 2-3 HCs in history.

• Like 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

What do you think the perception is around the league on Saleh?  Weird to me that he wasn't at least offered an interview somewhere.

I'm not even sure that Saleh is good at his current job. Tremendous communicator, definitely a player coach, but honestly, the most appealing thing about him could be the people he's bringing with him. Need a GM? He can bring Adam Peters or Martin Mayhew. Staff? He'll get Lafleur or McDaniels from Shanahan. He could be a guy that makes a better HC than a coordinator, he really does have that sort of mentality, but it's hard to gauge because being a DC / HC are two very completely different things. He could be a bad DC / good HC, etc. I do think it's a mistake to hire defensive minded head coaches in the current league though. 

Also, the Browns did interview him, just fyi. I think that was the only place, but he did get one. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The players on that SF defense though aren't very good outside of a few star players (Bosa and Sherman, mainly). You can't overstate how good of a job he's done on that team this year.

Ehh idk Armstead, Buckner, Fred Warner, Kwon Alexander. Are all good to elite players. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're missing the point. Judge might be the best coach in the history of football, but there's a huge random/luck/unpredictable component to HC searches. Exhibit A: The overwhelming favorite for best coach ever bombed out of his first NFL HC gig.

The Giants were competing with Mississippi State for him. There are guys who are just objectively better HC candidates that they could have gotten. From a process standpoint, they screwed up and hired a guy they could have waited a few years for when there were guys with better resumes ready to go.

I hope it works out for them, I don't have anything against the Giants. But I'm going to laugh at this regardless.

Never said you couldn't laugh.

Just now, kramxel said:

Nope, but competent people tend to be known. And their names get thrown around.

Doesn't mean Joe Judge isn't a good coach or a good HC, just stating that before today I hadn't heard of him.

You've never heard Joe Judges name until now?

Think that's more on you man. Just because he wasn't listed as a top 5 candidate doesn't mean this is a bad hire. Just because you're a good playcaller on one side of the ball which naturally gets you more publicity than a ST coach doesn't mean you can crack it as a HC.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not even sure that Saleh is good at his current job. Tremendous communicator, definitely a player coach, but honestly, the most appealing thing about him could be the people he's bringing with him. Need a GM? He can bring Adam Peters or Martin Mayhew. Staff? He'll get Lafleur or McDaniels from Shanahan. He could be a guy that makes a better HC than a coordinator, he really does have that sort of mentality, but it's hard to gauge because being a DC / HC are two very completely different things. He could be a bad DC / good HC, etc. I do think it's a mistake to hire defensive minded head coaches in the current league though. 

Also, the Browns did interview him, just fyi. I think that was the only place, but he did get one. 

Apparently he reached out to JAX right after the season to see if we were firing Marrone/stating he was interested if it opens up and we said nah.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

You dont know that. Unless their first choice was Ron Rivera, they had a chance at every opportunity to hire their "first choice". They had McCarthy in before Dallas hired him and got a call from Rhule. They had a chance to get who they wanted, if the reports from the reliable talking heads are true. Seems they liked Judge.

Seems like Rivera preferred the Redskins over them, even though they wanted him.

Seems like it came down to compensation and control for Rhule.  They weren't willing to give it.

Seems like McCarthy was holding out for the Dallas job as his first choice.  Compensation might have been an issue with him as well.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The players on that SF defense though aren't very good outside of a few star players (Bosa and Sherman, mainly). You can't overstate how good of a job he's done on that team this year.

Say what? 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah, what an odd hire. The Patriots WR's were garbage this year and their ST's weren't much to write home about, either. Not to mention you have the added caveat that Belichick disciples have turned out to be awful Head Coaches at every single turn, and it's just...a head scratcher.

Eh, "terrible" might be a little harsh for all of them. BoB is not terrible. Flores and Patricia dont seem to be "terrible".  McDaniels wasnt a terrible HC, though he killed them with the GM moves.

23 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

They need to go after Wade Phillips and a experienced OC.

Why is this forum obsessed with Phillips? Is it because he is so likeable? Dude has been fired from almost every team in the NFL at this point. 

8 minutes ago, ACO said:

Would he take this?

I really thought he would take a year off. After that, I thought he would move into the front office for a team if there were no HC spots offered to him. That said, he does have ties to the Mara family and the Giants. Apparently our two franchises like to share things (Parcells, Landry).