Your #1 FA Target

WindyCity

For me it would be TE Austin Hooper from Atlanta.

There are interior lineman that are better, but there are far fewer TEs and they take longer to make an immediate impact.

The Bears need a starting TE week 1 and that is a lot to ask of a rookie. The Bears arguably have the worst TE group in the NFL in an offense that is based around the TE.

OT Jack Conklin - assuming he is healthy would be my #1 target.  

But I predict that will not happen.

A big FA TE is exciting, but it seems you never get a return on that value.  Teams don't typically let the great ones out the door.  Hooper is good football player, but is not special and paying FA price for him will probably hurt in long run.    Henry is special, but injury prone.  That would be a gamble that could pay off big time, or give you little in return.  

I'd like to see Bears find a stud athlete banging FB to integrate into offense to be honest.  Not sure that will happen either.

• Like 3

Big thing about TE is Nagy needs to change his run scheme or get a true banging Y that can also be a receiving threat.

His TEs cannot make the block on his IZ play and it drives me insane.  NONE of them can do it and it ruins the play almost every time.  In fairness maybe it is really hard to make that block at NFL level.  The EMLOS on defense is typically best athlete on the field.  

My theory is they don't practice the block because its always a wham or cut block.  Nobody is going to let you do that to them in practice because of injury concern.  But when you don't practice it, you suck at it.  And that is exactly what is happening.

So either 1) get someone who can make the block, 2) practice it somehow or 3) take it out of the bloody play book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been two years and it has hardly ever worked. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Hooper or Henry

This. I think Hooper is more likely since the Falcons have a) not yet made an offer to Hooper and b) have a lot of $$$ tied up in Ryan and Jones.

@WindyCity can provide a comparable contract but I'm expecting something around $10M annually.

It's a lot of money between Burton and him, but keep in mind Burton can be released after the 2020 season for a $1.75M cap hit. 

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There are just way more OGs I trust to come in and play then TEs.

It is a supply and demand issue for me.

But rookie TE's typically don't have a huge impact whereas OL can. If the Bears take a TE at 43 or 50, odds are overwhelming that he won't be a huge factor in 2020.

I'd like Conklin, or even Green to pair with ARob, but I think Hooper is the one we go after. 

We need a TE, if Burton is healthy you have ARob and Miller on the outside, Burton at the slot, and Hooper on the line. That should allow Mitch a lot of mismatch potential. 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

But rookie TE's typically don't have a huge impact whereas OL can. If the Bears take a TE at 43 or 50, odds are overwhelming that he won't be a huge factor in 2020.

Correct. I'd still take a TE at 43 or 50 because they can get some playing time and then take over for Burton in 2021. Makes too much sense to me.

31 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

With how much better Daniels played at OG and Whitehair also being better at OG, I think C is the interior position we need to address. 

I haven't thought much about moving Whitehair from C to RG... but it certainly is an option I suppose... which is good! Opens up the draft and FA for us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

I haven't thought much about moving Whitehair from C to RG... but it certainly is an option I suppose... which is good! Opens up the draft and FA for us.

I believe Daniels is a better OG because of Whitehair calling the OLine calls and being a stable force beside him. I leave Daniels and Whitehair alone and buy the RG. Brandon Scherff if available. 

2 hours ago, RTD said:

I believe Daniels is a better OG because of Whitehair calling the OLine calls and being a stable force beside him. I leave Daniels and Whitehair alone and buy the RG. Brandon Scherff if available. 

I think I read that after being moved to LG, Daniels was ranked as the 6th OG in football per PFF.

Edited by G08
LG, not RG