Your #1 FA Target

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Bobbie Massie has 12.1 million in dead money on his deal.

And both he and Leno stunk last year and have never been real good.  Their best quality is they don't miss many games, but that has to come to an end as injuries in NFL are inevitable.  

Bears need both an upgrade and depth.  They have frankly skated on terrible OT depth for many years now.  Getting a good one now in his prime would not be a waste of money.   Of course he could get hurt and that would suck, but those are the chances you take.

Maybe Massie could play guard.  Who knows?  Easier to find guards than tackles.  Conklin has been great and been really average too.  Leno and Massie have never been great.  

If you aren't going to draft good OTs then you better get some in FA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

And both he and Leno stunk last year and have never been real good.  Their best quality is they don't miss many games, but that has to come to an end as injuries in NFL are inevitable.  

Bears need both an upgrade and depth.  They have frankly skated on terrible OT depth for many years now.  Getting a good one now in his prime would not be a waste of money.   Of course he could get hurt and that would suck, but those are the chances you take.

Maybe Massie could play guard.  Who knows?  Easier to find guards than tackles.  Conklin has been great and been really average too.  Leno and Massie have never been great.  

If you aren't going to draft good OTs then you better get some in FA.

I don’t think you can afford to tie up that much money at OT.

Conklin is likely to get 12 million/year.

We would have 30 million at OT.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think you can afford to tie up that much money at OT.

Conklin is likely to get 12 million/year.

We would have 30 million at OT.

Just for 2020.  You have to fix OL and that always starts at OT as there are so few good ones. 

Will they do it? Probably not. OT has never seemed a Pace priority.  I am an O line guy.  It's what I would do. 

9 hours ago, ColGerBear said:

Leno - Daniels - Whitehair - Massie - Conklin

I think this could work.

Who knows? A lot of big tackles have successfully kicked inside to guard and actually improved their play a great deal and their overall O line.

He could suck there too. All I know is in 2019 basically everyone but Whitehair was pretty bad most of time.  

I think Daniels is talented and still have a lot of hope for him.

Rest needs to be rebuilt, can't do it all at once, but I would start at best available OT.  

I mean if we get a FA guard we still need a tackle this year or next year, right? Now you are paying a lot to two interior linemen which are less valuable. 

Two tackles really in next two years.   Maybe Bars is one, maybe not.  

You have a very good young OT hitting FA now.  It is a big need. That would be my number one target.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I mean if we get a FA guard we still need a tackle this year or next year, right? Now you are paying a lot to two interior linemen which are less valuable. 

Two tackles really in next two years.   Maybe Bars is one, maybe not.  

You have a very good young OT hitting FA now.  It is a big need. That would be my number one target.  

This draft is deep in OT.  You can find a replacement for Massie as late as the fourth round, and then grab your future LT next year when it makes sense to get rid of Leno's contract.  With the Bears cap situation finding a starting guard will be cheaper and more effective.  

42 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

This draft is deep in OT.  You can find a replacement for Massie as late as the fourth round, and then grab your future LT next year when it makes sense to get rid of Leno's contract.  With the Bears cap situation finding a starting guard will be cheaper and more effective.  

Do both.  I have no idea about draft, but good OTs in league are rare, so I can't imagine it is easy to find a solid OT in 4th round.  More of a spray and pray move to draft late round OTs.  Not saying I am against that.  Volume of picks increases your likelihood of finding a good one.  

Now you can pull up all kinds of late round greats at any position and say look at this guy, but that is hindsight drafting.  

If there is a consensus good OT he is going in first two rounds of any draft and if they project him to be a good starter he is going in top 25.

I have a feeling we have all five guys back along with a draft pick. I think there is talent in this group but really bad confusion on who to block and when. I bet the organization is pinning it on our OL coach to fix the issue and bring in a new RG. I hope they also get a swing tackle in the draft.

• Like 1