Saints fielding calls for SS Vaccaro

saintsfan

30 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

That's the first thing that come to my mind too. "Stacked at S"......yeah ok. There's not very many good safeties in the entire league. 

Stacked is an overstatement by whoever made it. We simply have Vonn Bell who looks to have a similar if not better ceiling to Kenny and they both fill the same role. Bell also isn't in a contract year, which is probably the most important part.

Makes sense to try to get something for him now since the Saints always sign too many guys to get comp picks.

10 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The Saints have been trading away alot of their younger talented players. Brandin Cooks, Jimmy Graham, Kenny Stills, and now Vaccaro. Crazy

The thing is, I don't disagree with literally any of these trades. Cooks was unhappy and we've been able to churn out offensive talent like clockwork for a decade now. Jimmy had a big contract and Max Unger has actually been amazing these last couple of years, and once again, we churn out offensive talent. Unfortunately we wasted the 1st round pick, but that doesn't make the actual trade contents bad. It makes the pick bad. Stills apparently had some problems in the locker room and yeah we haven't missed him in our offense at all. 

Vaccaro could be the first I don't agree with, but it depends on the return. It is a contract year, and we have a lot of other young safeties too. Unfortunately, I don't believe in our ability to coach them one bit and Vaccaro is one of the few players who have succeeded here IN SPITE of our defensive staff. 

On 9/16/2017 at 1:10 PM, domepatrol91 said:

Rookie year: looked like the Saints hit on a perennial All Pro hybrid safety

2nd year: pulled him out of the box and into a more traditional safety role and he was one of the worst defenders in the NFL

I remember Vaccaro being excellent his rookie year.  Why did they change his role from his rookie year after having so much success?

57 minutes ago, showtime said:

I remember Vaccaro being excellent his rookie year.  Why did they change his role from his rookie year after having so much success?

Vaccaro pushed for it so they gave him a chance to prove he could be a traditional safety. He got benched halfway through the season and moved back to his hybrid role when he came back.

21 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

That's the first thing that come to my mind too. "Stacked at S"......yeah ok. There's not very many good safeties in the entire league. 

There is an old saying, "When you have a lot of players, you really have none." The Saints wanted another Earl Thomas when they drafted Vaccaro. He's been significantly less than that. 

J

35 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

There is an old saying, "When you have a lot of players, you really have none." The Saints wanted another Earl Thomas when they drafted Vaccaro. He's been significantly less than that. 

J

That's not the saying. 

He's significantly less than Thomas, obviously. But so is almost every other safety in the league. Vaccaro is still a talented young player who could play well for a lot of teams.  Not sure with not being Earl 2 really has to do with the current situation with him. 

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

How much in return can they be expecting for a guy that was kind of just very publicly benched in week 2 (well, to the point that there is an espn article about benching him)

Still think the Chiefs should still make a play for him

Vacarro getting benched has more to do with the Saints coaches having no idea what they're doing. He tore it up in preseason when they brought him down into the box and had him pursuing the ball or sniffing out screens and check downs. He can play in the slot against physically limited WRs. He's bad in deep coverage or on the outside (although this is team wide, so it could certainly be a coaching issue). 

Saints throw him into mismatches all the time, so he gets burned all the time. Poor dude is probably Jenkins 2.0. I really believe that.

They treat this like madden where you set your depth chart and go. No matchup concerns or anything like that.

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

Vacarro getting benched has more to do with the Saints coaches having no idea what they're doing. He tore it up in preseason when they brought him down into the box and had him pursuing the ball or sniffing out screens and check downs. He can play in the slot against physically limited WRs. He's bad in deep coverage or on the outside (although this is team wide, so it could certainly be a coaching issue). 

Saints throw him into mismatches all the time, so he gets burned all the time. Poor dude is probably Jenkins 2.0. I really believe that.

They treat this like madden where you set your depth chart and go. No matchup concerns or anything like that.

We'll give you Kevin Dodd and Jonathon Cyprien? Please? Maybe a 5th to sweeten the pot!

Archived