2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Cornerbacks

KC_Guy

7 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Is sad. It's all about "me" with Breeland.  I'd let him walk. He's not a priority in my book. It's a deep CB draft upcoming. I also assume we'll look over the FA market

Definitely let him walk. Not worth close to the numbers he will try to get.

20 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Is sad. It's all about "me" with Breeland.  I'd let him walk. He's not a priority in my book. It's a deep CB draft upcoming. I also assume we'll look over the FA market

Can't blame a guy for trying to get a great paycheck elsewhere. Especially after his first opportunity for it was voided last minute in 2018. I wish him all but the best, but yeah I think he can be replaced

I don't think this is necessarily a deep CB draft.  However there is some serious value at the end of the first round for CBs and defensive players overall, as it looks like the first 15 picks will be mostly QBs, WRs, and OTs. 

Edited by warsawian

7 hours ago, warsawian said:

I don't think this is necessarily a deep CB draft.  However there is some serious value at the end of the first round for CBs and defensive players overall, as it looks like the first 15 picks will be mostly QBs, WRs, and OTs. 

Might be a good draft to trade up like 10 spots then. Get a real difference maker on defense.

There is an article at Pride on the best fits in tree agency and the draft. Also a podcast. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/2/14/21137298/the-chiefs-best-cornerback-fits-in-free-agency-and-the-draft
https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/arrowhead-pride?selected=VMP4246309579

I agree with Warsawian that there is value in the 25-35 range, which is where we sit. 

J

7 hours ago, Kirill said:

Might be a good draft to trade up like 10 spots then. Get a real difference maker on defense.

I think we are more likely trade down candidates. Teams always want to jump up to the back of the 1st due to the value of having the 5th year option. 

Honestly, I think both Breeland and Fuller wind up aggressively outpricing us on the FA market. Both had some very high profile plays in late season games and the postseason, and some team with more money than sense will turn that into big contracts for both. Steven Nelson got $9M per year to leave us. Could honestly see both guys find some team to give them that (maybe more for Fuller, if someone buys him as a #1 CB or a full-time FS.) If both leave, we definitely need to add an outside starter. LCB if they want to keep Ward at RCB, which I assume they will. Either another shot at a vet like recent attempts with Scandrick, Breeland, and Claiborne, or a draft pick. Either is fine by me, honestly. Couple vets are gonna get cut that might be worth a shot for a cheap prove it deal for one last chance. If someone like A.J. Bouye would take a cheap deal to try to revive his career, or something.

I think I'd be fine with Fenton in the slot, with the occasional Mathieu support if we have strong S depth again. Thornhill deep, Sorensen in box, Mathieu aiding the slot. Something like that.

I do NOT get everyone being so down on Ward, though. Had the 4th lowest completion percentage against of all CBs last year. QB rating of 65.2 against him. His 629 yards allowed was 30 more than Stephon Gilmore, and just 3 more than Tredavious White. Dude had a great season. He got targeted deep a lot. Allowed way more air yards than YAC. So maybe that's why some have the perception that he was burned. But he was a well above average starting CB last year. I know someone said he committed too many penalties, but he only had 8 penalties. 7 holdings, 1 DPI. Might seem like a lot, but Richard Sherman had 8, Gilmore had 6, White had 7. Fairly standard for a 1000+ snap CB. Breeland had 8 penalties in like 150 fewer snaps.

• Like 1

We have a round #6 rookie who had serious snaps n the Super Bowl. The cupboard is not bare.

That said, I hope we re-sign Fuller. He's the perfect 5th back the way they learned to use him. It's a sort of inverted secondary, where the stars are the safeties, but there it is. With Honey Badger, Fuller, Sorensen and Thornhill, safety is the only unit on the defense that is not looking for a playmaker. 

J

33 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

We have a round #6 rookie who had serious snaps n the Super Bowl. The cupboard is not bare.

That said, I hope we re-sign Fuller. He's the perfect 5th back the way they learned to use him. It's a sort of inverted secondary, where the stars are the safeties, but there it is. With Honey Badger, Fuller, Sorensen and Thornhill, safety is the only unit on the defense that is not looking for a playmaker. 

J

Whilst I agree, I think the market for Fuller will be too rich fo us to keep him.

I'm not so sure. For one thing, he has already been paid once. That helps for two reasons. He's not trying to make a name for the first time, and we were already paying more than we paid Breeland. He is much more likely to sign for money similar to the last contract. We will have to see.

J