2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Cornerbacks

KC_Guy

• 3 weeks later...

I did not expect us to still have Bashaud Breeland a month before the draft, but I did expect to have Fuller, so a sort of push. Ward Fenton and Breeland make enough of a set that CB is not a need position in the draft. However, it remains a premium position, so pick of the board will always be an option at #32. 

My question is, what about Kristian Fulton? If he's there at #32 do you take him? We had a similar choice a few years back when we grabbed Peters, and mixed results afterward.

J

I don't care for Fulton. Character issues for one. He had someone pee in the cup for him because he'd smoked marijuana.

Once he gets behind he tends to stay behind against multi-breaking routes and his long speed and recovery burst are below average.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kristian-fulton?id=32194655-4c73-3491-274a-7b3b8a1d4f92

Weaknesses
  • Suspended all of 2017 for falsifying specimen for drug test
  • Inconsistent staying in route phase from press
  • Plus route-runners can shake and separate
  • Confidence has been flighty at times
  • Glitchy hips in transitions for in-breaking routes
  • Struggles to find early recovery burst
  • Long speed could be a concern on next level
  • Loses balance and positioning downfield
  • Tardy responses to quarterback's clues in off coverage
  • Below-average toughness/technique as tackler

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I did not expect us to still have Bashaud Breeland a month before the draft, but I did expect to have Fuller, so a sort of push. Ward Fenton and Breeland make enough of a set that CB is not a need position in the draft. However, it remains a premium position, so pick of the board will always be an option at #32. 

My question is, what about Kristian Fulton? If he's there at #32 do you take him? We had a similar choice a few years back when we grabbed Peters, and mixed results afterward.

J

J, am I missing us re-signing Breeland?  Right now I think CB is our biggest need. 

Also, just because we won the Superbowl, doesn't mean we don't have big needs.  For my money give me the best CB/MLB or OL with our first two picks

5 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

For my money give me the best CB/MLB or OL with our first two picks

That's basically what I said here - with the exception CB being #1 priority right now. With Ward, Fenton and Breeland the Chiefs have an acceptable lineup ob board. Thus I put higher priority on LB and especially IOL. If Breeland walks CB undoubtedly becomes the #1 priority.

7 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

That's basically what I said here - with the exception CB being #1 priority right now. With Ward, Fenton and Breeland the Chiefs have an acceptable lineup ob board. Thus I put higher priority on LB and especially IOL. If Breeland walks CB undoubtedly becomes the #1 priority.

While I do not wholly disagree, I think you overemphasize. The pickings in FA are never bare, so long as you do not need a starting caliber player. Fenton does that much for us. This defense leans on its safties much more than its CB. Also, players like Fenton are available much later in the draft. Top CB is always a fallback option in round #1, but not necessarily a priority. 

Mid round #2 is really the place to do it, say pick #42. By my count there are 5-6 players in the 25-55 range--Fulton, Johnson, Terrell, Gladney, Arnette, and arguably Hall. Henderson and Diggs are better. Dantzler doesn't make the cut. I would be satisfied with AJ Green in the 3rd, but I doubt he lasts. After Bryce Hall there is a big gap, with only Dantzler and Green, maybe Shyheim Carter. So, trading back 7-10 picks makes sense. More than that makes it likely you miss a run.

J

• 1 month later...

In mock drafts, the most common use of pick #32 was CB. The teams first selection was at #138, L'Jarius Sneed. To most fans, this was a WTF moment. After all, he was from Louisiana Tech, which is not a hotbed of NFL talent. He is also listed as S in the NFL.com draft guide. It's not a confidence inspiring resume. But...

He's big (6', 192 lb) and he's fast (4.37). He played S his senior year, but was more impressive playing CB his junior year. He has press-cover skills and also zone experience. In short, he may have been off the analysts lists, but the real scouts knew about him, some of them anyway.  Here's a film study.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-film-review-is-in-why-we-feel-l-jarius-sneed-could-be-an-early-contributor/ar-BB13QdZy

In addition, the Chiefs went hard at free agents, signing Javaris Davis and Lavert Hill. As with the OL, both of these players were considered draftable. Indeed, Davis was the highest undrafted player on the NFL.com board. One knock on both is size. Davis is 5'8" and is compared to former Patriot Jonathan Jones--fast, good ball skills, but undersized. Hill is more highly rated by some. He has experience in press man coverage, good ball skills and consistent production, but is a bit short at 5'10" and lacks long speed. 

With Bashaud Breeland's status in limbo, at least one these three is likely to get early season snaps. DB coach Sam Madison is clearly excited about Sneed, so the chances are that he steps into the CB3 role, while Fenton plays the starter minutes. However, both Davis and Hill are longtime starters in major conferences. It would be unusual for either to just wash out. There is a good chance one of them makes the team out of camp. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

Whats the starting lineup look like against Watson and the Texans?

I think it’ll be Fenton/Mathieu/Ward with Thornhill and Sorensen starting at Safety.

I like the rookie potential but I don’t think any will start right out the jump.

I just realized I forgot to mention BoPete Keyes, our 7th round pick. He's a small college prospect from Tulane.

Physically, he has very good size, 6'1", 202, and unusually long arms. He lacks long speed, but has good instincts and quickness, so he should be well suited to the sort of zone heavy system we employ. He has good cover skills, which is always the key issue at CB. His size and arm length make him tough to pass at the line of scrimmage. He also tackles well for a DB.

There is a rumor we considered taking him with out 5th round pick. When he slipped to the 7th round, we traded back into the draft to grab him. 

J

• 2 months later...

Here is an interesting write up of Lavert Hill, UDFA signee. He is a Four year letterman at Michigan, a special teams ace and a ballhawk CB. the reasons he went undrafted, despite 4th-5th round grade, are likely his height and long speed. That said, we have rostered similar players in the past. Next week we should get a write up of our other top UDFA CB Javaris Davis.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/16/michigan-cb-lavert-hill-fit-with-kansas-city-chiefs/

J

• 1 month later...

This could a typical Veach pickup if he has something left ...

Raiders released CB Prince Amukamara. 

The team signed Amukamara, 31, in May, after he was released by the Bears. Amukamara in 2019 was graded as the No. 47 corner among 132 qualifiers by Pro Football Focus. Look for the veteran to catch on with a cornerback-needy team in the coming weeks.

via rotoworld

Raiders signed him for roughly 1.2 M$ with 50k$ guaranteed ... so he shouldn't be pricey for a SB contender. Vet min with no guarantees (ok, another 50k$ signing bonus, plus promise to get a ring even if cut after week 4) ... with the option to release him once Breeland comes back.