Locked on Benglas Mock Draft Mondays

THE DUKE

I listen to the Locked On Bengals podcast hosted by Jake Liscow (sp?) and Joe Goodberry pretty regularly and in the offseason they do mock draft Mondays which I usually find pretty interesting.  I'm starting this thread both to discuss the various draft prospects they look at for these, and to see how their picks change over time as we get more and more data .  Now, they will purposefully pick different guys from week to week in a lot of cases to keep it interesting, and broaden the range of prospects who get looked at.  They use the mock draft machine at The Draft Network website right now, but they will change up what they use from time to time too.  They did 3 rounds this week and picked:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. AJ Terrell, CB, Clemson
3. Troy Dye, LB, Oregon

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

What was their reasoning around a corner that high?

Whispers that the team isn't thrilled with William Jackson's work ethic and possibly not extending him.  That, plus Dre a likely cut, mixed with possible BPA.

Edited by THE DUKE

28 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Whispers that the team isn't thrilled with William Jackson's work ethic and possibly not extending him.  That, plus Dre a likely cut, mixed with possible BPA.

I'm good with Burrow and Dye.  Not sure about Terrell.  Would rather see a RT (if they don't believe in Johnson) or a high end WR

45 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

or a high end WR

I like the idea of taking a lineman at 33, but pairing Burrow with Justin Jefferson would be pretty cool.

The OL pool in this class is deep enough that we can grab a starting caliber lineman in round 3, or possibly 4; someone like Oregon's Shane Lemieux (LG) or Calvin Throckmorton (RT, but has lined up at RG, C, and LT as well). 

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm good with Burrow and Dye.  Not sure about Terrell.  Would rather see a RT (if they don't believe in Johnson) or a high end WR

There was a run on OL at the end of rd 1.  The debate was between Terrell and Tee Higgins.

13 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Higgins (or jefferson) would be great in that spot

I agree, and like I said, they'll go with a contrarian pick sometimes just so it isn't talking about the same guys week in and week out.  Not to mention draft boards are going to fluctuate quite a bit between now and the end of April.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

If Higgins is on the board at 33 we should be sprinting to the podium. Chances are he'll be gone 10-15 picks sooner.

There is going to be a very good WR there at 33.  It may not be Higgins, but the top of this WR class runs 7-8 deep.  There is good depth behind that too, so top WR's could fall a little bit with teams thinking they can still get a quality guy in rd 3 or 4

• Like 2

I've done quite a few of those over the past few weeks and it always seems like there is a run on both receivers and offensive line at the end of the first.  I'm rarely happy with what is sitting there tho choose from.  And then there's the time that Delpit was sitting there and I didn't draft him because no way is he going to be there.  I want to hit tackle,  receiver and linebacker early, but end up drafting dt, s, cb instead. Lame. 

• Like 1

If you don't pigeon hole a position expectation at 33, i'm always happy with someone there, it just may not be what you expect and/or hope for.  If we can actually spend some money on a free agent OL, it greatly opens the possibilities of what they can take at 33.  If they sign a legit OL and a LB, then they can go in almost any direction.

We should get our needs other than QB covered in free agency so we aren't counting on rookies to start apart from Burrow. Then it doesn't matter what position runs there are, we can take BPA. Of course that would require the Bengals to change their notably ineffective approach to free agency.

I'm waiting for Mike Brown to die. I could easily see Katie and Troy happy to own a team while letting professionals run it. Going on vacation at the trade deadline would seem to indicate that. If the Brown family turns the team over to professionals, they should and likely will demand accountability since winning teams are more profitable (and fun  to own) than perennial losers. At some point we may have a real NFL team instead of a sloth's not very good personal fantasy team.