Locked on Benglas Mock Draft Mondays

THE DUKE

Regarding free agency, the Bengals have plenty of cap space to sign good new players. Especially if we move on from Dalton and Glenn. Maybe Kirkpatrick too.

We won't be signing Brady or Clowney but there are a number of LBs who won't be tagged but would be massive upgrades over Brown and Vigil. Likewise on the O-line and TE positions.

The did this weeks mock draft Monday in conjunction with Fanspeaks free agency simulator where of note they signed Corey Littleton for LB, Joe Thuney as the new starting LG, Tyrod Taylor to be the backup QB, re-signed Darqueze Dennard, Andrew Billings, Nick Vigil, Tyler Eifert, and franchise tagged AJ Green.

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
Traded 2.1 to Miami for 2.7 and 2.24 (passed on Mekai Becton who went 35, Miami took Zack Baun at 33)
2a. Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama
2b. Tyler Biadasz, IOL, Wisconsin
3. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

31 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The did this weeks mock draft Monday in conjunction with Fanspeaks free agency simulator where of note they signed Corey Littleton for LB, Joe Thuney as the new starting LG, Tyrod Taylor to be the backup QB, re-signed Darqueze Dennard, Andrew Billings, Nick Vigil, Tyler Eifert, and franchise tagged AJ Green.

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
Traded 2.1 to Miami for 2.7 and 2.24 (passed on Mekai Becton who went 35, Miami took Zack Baun at 33)

These simulations are fun.  Passing on Becton is tough, but landing McKinney and Biadasz would be nice.  Our interior OL would be very solid with Thuney, Hopkins, and Biadasz.  I know the value is really good, but can we afford to take a RB at the top of the 3rd round?  In this scenario I'm looking for the best DL available.  I hope you keep posting the MDM sims!

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

If that's free agency for us, that's pretty good.  Doubt we go after Thuney.  He looks like the bidding might get high and they want Jordan in that spot pretty soon. Extending Mixon would have been nice. Also,  Etienne in the third is cool, but not a great pick from a roster perspective.  Interesting thought. 

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

If that's free agency for us, that's pretty good.  Doubt we go after Thuney.  He looks like the bidding might get high and they want Jordan in that spot pretty soon. Extending Mixon would have been nice. Also,  Etienne in the third is cool, but not a great pick from a roster perspective.  Interesting thought. 

Goodberry said Etienne was a pure value pick.  I think they signed Thuney for something like 11 or 12 million and Littleton for 15 million if the free agency Friday sim

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Goodberry said Etienne was a pure value pick.  I think they signed Thuney for something like 11 or 12 million and Littleton for 15 million if the free agency Friday sim

Etienne in the 3rd is a huge value. I’m ok with the pick. He reminds me a lot of Curtis Samuel. We could start him out as an HBack while learning slot and if he continues growing could be moved outside permanently and give us a Joker type player. 

4 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

Etienne in the 3rd is a huge value. I’m ok with the pick. He reminds me a lot of Curtis Samuel. We could start him out as an HBack while learning slot and if he continues growing could be moved outside permanently and give us a Joker type player. 

Etienne or Dobbins would be fine if we weren’t gonna fork out the money to Mixon

19 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I can't imagine these three still being on the board at those picks, but you never know, I guess. DK Metcalf wasn't supposed to be on the board midway through the 2nd last year.

19 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

they signed Corey Littleton for LB, Joe Thuney as the new starting LG,

If we get one of those two I will be very surprised. I'll believe it when I see it.

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I can't imagine these three still being on the board at those picks, but you never know, I guess. DK Metcalf wasn't supposed to be on the board midway through the 2nd last year.

If we get one of those two I will be very surprised. I'll believe it when I see it.

The Bengals actually do spend on a big free agent from time to time.  With the new QB coming in and the embarrassment of the attendance last year, I could see Mike Brown caving and spending some money this offseason.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The Bengals actually do spend on a big free agent from time to time.  With the new QB coming in and the embarrassment of the attendance last year, I could see Mike Brown caving and spending some money this offseason.

Hopefully you're right. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Hopefully you're right. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Smitty, you've been Bengalized. It's really not too much to expect for fans to want their team to participate in free agency. Especially when drafting has gone poorly in recent years.

14 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Smitty, you've been Bengalized. It's really not too much to expect for fans to want their team to participate in free agency. Especially when drafting has gone poorly in recent years.

I have. Full-on Stockholm syndrome. Here's the thing, expectation and reality are two different things, my friend. Should they be more aggressive in FA? Yes. Will they? We'll see.

We have the cap space so theoretically we should be able to sign someone of significance. But at the end of the day you need lump sums of guaranteed cash upfront to lure (the top) free agents in, especially when you're luring them to a bad team and dysfunctional franchise. That money comes out of the ownership's pocket and doesn't count towards the cap. It's hard to imagine Mike Brown pulling out his checkbook to shell out $30-40 million guaranteed to land someone like Cory Littleton. We haven't shown the willingness to do that in the past, so I'm not going to hype myself up thinking something will change now. We don't prioritize winning as much as we should, and it's reflected in our absence when it comes to paying free agents.

Edited by SmittyBacall

This week's MDM was quick as Goodberry was out the door on his way to the Senior Bowl (which I am very much looking forward to his observations on).

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  2. Trey Adams, OT, Washington
  3. Patrick Queen, LB, LSU

He used Fanspeak this week and some of those get weird.  Although Goodberry had a good point of the combine is going to reshuffle everything as teams over react, and something like Queen running a 4.65-4.7 at the combine could easily see him there in rd 3.  He also chose Adams over Mekhai Becton.  Becton has all the recent hype but he thinks Adams is a better chance to be an all around tackle.

16 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

This week's MDM was quick as Goodberry was out the door on his way to the Senior Bowl (which I am very much looking forward to his observations on).

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  2. Trey Adams, OT, Washington
  3. Patrick Queen, LB, LSU

He used Fanspeak this week and some of those get weird.  Although Goodberry had a good point of the combine is going to reshuffle everything as teams over react, and something like Queen running a 4.65-4.7 at the combine could easily see him there in rd 3.  He also chose Adams over Mekhai Becton.  Becton has all the recent hype but he thinks Adams is a better chance to be an all around tackle.

Daniel Jeremiah's first mock of the year had Becton going #4 to the Giants and Queen to the Raiders at #19.