Locked on Benglas Mock Draft Mondays

THE DUKE

They did 2 of them this week, a quick one at the start of the show where they took the hypothetical trade down to #5 (They get all 3 first round picks, and 1 2nd using Mock Draft Machine premium at the Draft Network), and then another one where they still take Burrow at 1.

1a. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
1b. Andrew Thomas, OL, Georgia
1c. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
2a. Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU
2b. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
3. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
4. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois

That's a nice haul, but man would it be hard for me to trust Tua to stay healthy, especially after a big hip injury as a 21 year old, and he was considered a little injury prone BEFORE that.  In the end, i'm not moving off of Burrow though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. Patrick Queen, LB, LSU (first time he's fallen this far in a while)
3. Tee Higgens, WR, Clemson
4. Troy Pride Jr, CB, Notre Dame

Why is Tee Higgens falling down online draft boards?  Is there some sort of major character red flag?  Did he injure himself training for the combine?  I don't get it, the kid was one of the most electric players in college football the past 2 years.

Lord, that first 4 rounds would be phenomenal. We better have spent some money at G in free agency though.  Queen and Pratt would be a fantastic LB tandem.

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

They did 2 of them this week, a quick one at the start of the show where they took the hypothetical trade down to #5 (They get all 3 first round picks, and 1 2nd using Mock Draft Machine premium at the Draft Network), and then another one where they still take Burrow at 1.

1a. Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
1b. Andrew Thomas, OL, Georgia
1c. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
2a. Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU
2b. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
3. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
4. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois

That's a nice haul, but man would it be hard for me to trust Tua to stay healthy, especially after a big hip injury as a 21 year old, and he was considered a little injury prone BEFORE that.  In the end, i'm not moving off of Burrow though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. Patrick Queen, LB, LSU (first time he's fallen this far in a while)
3. Tee Higgens, WR, Clemson
4. Troy Pride Jr, CB, Notre Dame

Why is Tee Higgens falling down online draft boards?  Is there some sort of major character red flag?  Did he injure himself training for the combine?  I don't get it, the kid was one of the most electric players in college football the past 2 years.

Lord, that first 4 rounds would be phenomenal. We better have spent some money at G in free agency though.  Queen and Pratt would be a fantastic LB tandem.

The Burrow draft is quite the haul.  With the first one (trade back), I'd almost rather take Simmons instead of Tua at 5 (if he's there), and roll with Andy one more year.  I have more faith in at least 3 guys next year than Tua with the injuries at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

In the LoB podcast today they did a mock offseason and mock draft.  The limited themselves in FA because of the guaranteed money

• Tagged AJ Green, $17-18 million guaranteed
  • Resigned Clayton Fejedelem
  • Let Dennard walk
  • Let Billings walk
  • Let Vigil walk
  • Let Eifert walk
  • Signed OG Graham Glasgow, 4 years, $48 million, $20 million guaranteed
  • Signed LB Nick Kwiatkowski, 3 years, $24 millin, $6 mil guaranteed
  • Signed NT Danny Shelton 2 years, $10 million, $3 mil guaranteed
  • Signed CB Trumaine Johnson to a 1 year, $4 million deal, $1 million guaranteed
  • Did NOT cut Dre Kirkpatrick since they had cap space and want to be sure they have bodies for the season, could cut after the draft
  • Traded Andy Dalton to the Tampa Bay Buccanneers for their 3rd rd pick
  • Traded back at 33 with Carolina and picked up an extra 3rd rd pick

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
3a. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
3b. Lloyd Cushenberry, IOL, LSU
3c. Kyle Dugger, S, Lenior-Rhyne
4. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

In the LoB podcast today they did a mock offseason and mock draft.  The limited themselves in FA because of the guaranteed money

• Tagged AJ Green, $17-18 million guaranteed
  • Resigned Clayton Fejedelem
  • Let Dennard walk
  • Let Billings walk
  • Let Vigil walk
  • Let Eifert walk
  • Signed OG Graham Glasgow, 4 years, $48 million, $20 million guaranteed
  • Signed LB Nick Kwiatkowski, 3 years, $24 millin, $6 mil guaranteed
  • Signed NT Danny Shelton 2 years, $10 million, $3 mil guaranteed
  • Signed CB Trumaine Johnson to a 1 year, $4 million deal, $1 million guaranteed
  • Did NOT cut Dre Kirkpatrick since they had cap space and want to be sure they have bodies for the season, could cut after the draft
  • Traded Andy Dalton to the Tampa Bay Buccanneers for their 3rd rd pick
  • Traded back at 33 with Carolina and picked up an extra 3rd rd pick

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
3a. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
3b. Lloyd Cushenberry, IOL, LSU
3c. Kyle Dugger, S, Lenior-Rhyne
4. Adam Trautman, TE, Dayton

I would love this draft! That’s a lot of premium talent at multiple positions

We're just finishing up the Total Control Mock Draft in the GM mock drafts forum.

For the Bengals here's what I've done:

Cuts:

Dalton

Hart

Webb

Gio

Uzomah

Dugas

Trade: Glenn to DC for a 6th and 2 7ths

Free agents signed: Jack Conklin, Danny Shelton, Chris Harris, Josh Bynes, Danny Trevathan, Tramon Williams, Josh McCown, Devonta Booker, Austin Carr, Cordarelle Patterson, Tyler Eifert, Cethan Carter, Clayton Fedejelem, John Simon, Tim Williams, Donald Penn, Greg Van Roten, Jonotthan Harrison, Pernell McPhee, David Mayo, Reshad Jones, Steven Gostkowski

RFAs tendered and kept: Brandon Wilson and Josh Tupou

Players lost to other teams: Darqueze Dennard, Andrew Billings, Nick Vigil, 

We extended Green, WJ3, and Mixon

Draft was

1 Joe Burrow

2 Jeff Gladney

3 Kyle Dugger

4A Hunter Bryant

4B Damien Lewis

5 Alton Robinson

We also picked up a couple of 5th rounders and a pair of 6th rounders for 2021 plus our own picks.

Edited by sparky151

I was interested to see what they would do here with the FA moves the Bengals made last week.

• Mims and Murray went 29-30
  • No offers to move back from 33 and weren't going to look at CB there with CB being 5 deep at the moment
  • Debated between Zack Baun and Cesar Ruiz at 33, felt the drop off at IOL from 33 to 65 was more likely than the other options for LB from 33 to 65
  • At 65 debating between Jeremy Chinn and Malik Harrison, Liskow unimpressed with Chinn's game tape, Goodberry was mostly impressed by the senior bowl where Chinn still looked like an elite athlete.  Concerned about Harrison's productivity issues in college given how athletic he was.
  • A big run on WR in rd 3 after 65.  Gap at LB between rd 3 and 4 is a lot smaller than gap at WR for rd 3 and rd 4.  Wanted an offensive playmaker, looking at TE's.  Adam Trautman and Brycen Hopkins (receiving TE from Purdue), Hunter Bryant, Thad Moss.  Also looked at Utah RB Zack Moss as a replacement for Bernard so that Mixon can be an every down back.  Akeem Davis-Gather also still available.  Chinn was still available, they just didn't see it as realistic.
  • Have been staying towards the top of the draft board
  • Akeem Davis-Gaither still on the board for rd 5. Also looking at Josiah Deguara.  Went with Gaither as a pure coverage LB to use as a sub package guy with Harrison

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. Cesar Ruiz, IOL, Michigan
3. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
4. Zack Moss, RB, Utah
5. Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, Appalachian State

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I was interested to see what they would do here with the FA moves the Bengals made last week.

• Mims and Murray went 29-30
  • No offers to move back from 33 and weren't going to look at CB there with CB being 5 deep at the moment
  • Debated between Zack Baun and Cesar Ruiz at 33, felt the drop off at IOL from 33 to 65 was more likely than the other options for LB from 33 to 65
  • At 65 debating between Jeremy Chinn and Malik Harrison, Liskow unimpressed with Chinn's game tape, Goodberry was mostly impressed by the senior bowl where Chinn still looked like an elite athlete.  Concerned about Harrison's productivity issues in college given how athletic he was.
  • A big run on WR in rd 3 after 65.  Gap at LB between rd 3 and 4 is a lot smaller than gap at WR for rd 3 and rd 4.  Wanted an offensive playmaker, looking at TE's.  Adam Trautman and Brycen Hopkins (receiving TE from Purdue), Hunter Bryant, Thad Moss.  Also looked at Utah RB Zack Moss as a replacement for Bernard so that Mixon can be an every down back.  Akeem Davis-Gather also still available.  Chinn was still available, they just didn't see it as realistic.
  • Have been staying towards the top of the draft board
  • Akeem Davis-Gaither still on the board for rd 5. Also looking at Josiah Deguara.  Went with Gaither as a pure coverage LB to use as a sub package guy with Harrison

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
2. Cesar Ruiz, IOL, Michigan
3. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
4. Zack Moss, RB, Utah
5. Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, Appalachian State

I don’t hate this. Depending on what tackles were there in round 4, I like the Moss pick. I think OL and LB are our 2 biggest weaknesses, so like seeing both positions hit heavily in draft since they were both pretty much skipped in FA. 

• Traded down from 33 with Jacksonville for pick 42 and 2 4th rd picks.  Passed on Cesar Ruiz, Xavier McKinney, and Denzel Mims.  They passed on Mims in part to A) mix it up, and B) don't think he'll be there and wanted to explore the trade down.  Options at 42 they discussed were Jalen Raegor, Cesar Ruiz, Julian Okwara, Terrell Lewis, Curtis Weaver, and Isaiah Wilson.  Said the pick would probably be Ruiz, but didn't do it now because they discussed him last week (and took him at 33 last week).  Concerned with Isaiah Wilson's change of direction ability, but think he looks like a monster run blocker they could put at RG now (although worried about him being 6'6").  Compared Reagor to Robert Woods but with better deep ball skills.  Think Reagor could replace Ross immediately, and could potentially be a #1 guy in a few years.

• Cesar Ruiz was still available at 62 and said they'd probably trade up for him, but he didn't there.  Stressed with these mock draft machines, sometimes they ignore stuff they don't think will happen. Also said that really happens though, and that's when you trade up to go get your guy.  Let it ride to 65 in this mock. Lucas Niang went 64, was hoping he'd fall.  Debated between Akeem Davis-Gaither, Malik Harrison, Troy Dye (PFF likes him more than Jeff and Joe), Willie Gay Jr.  Talked about Harrison (very much like his size/speed profile) as a guy who could work a year behind Bynes and be the 3rd LB in 4-3 sets, but Akeem David-Gaither gives them the pass coverage LB they need.  Went with ADG

• Thought about moving up from 107 back into the 3rd for Robert Hunt or Netani Muti, but both went by pick 80.   Talked a lot about guards (Jonah Jackson, Logan Stenberg, Solomon Kindley), and ignored that Chinn was still available rd 3 for this purpose thinking he won't be there (and again re-iterated that stuff like that happens, online guys liking players more than NFL teams).  Did not trade up.  Main two discussed were Ben Bartch (who they see as a G) and Damien Lewis.  Discussed maybe double dipping at OL with 4.1 and 4.10 and said 4th rd is a good spot to take a guard.  With 2 available maybe look at Amik Robertson at CB, who they like as a future slot guy to develop and take over for Mackensie Alexander.  Short (5'8") but said if he was 6', he'd be a top 20 guy.

• Bartch went between 107 and 116, so went with Damien Lewis. Liked his combine results, and see him as a mauling power RG. Discussed they need to watch Logan Stenberg still.

• Let it roll to the next pick without discussing any trade up.  Felt pretty wide open for BPA after their other picks.  Talked about Saadhiq Charles as a potential developmental OT, edge guy like Jonathan Garvin, Kenny Willikes, Alex Highsmith, and  Anfernee Jennings.  Discussed how they only have 3 edge guys, and Dunlop is older and Lawson on the last year of his deal.  Went with Kenny Willikes as an overachiever who compares physically to Rob Ninkovich as a guy who could be an edge rusher/3-4 OLB who doesn't drop back much. Liked his production.

• Did the 5th rd for fun and talked about Aj Dillon (RB 245 lbs ran a 4.5), Thad Moss, James Lynch as a 3-4 DE as an athlete and went with Lynch.  Discussed Shane Lemeiux since he was still available, said could be an option if no IOL is taken before now.  Lynch was very productive with good size (6'4" 289, ran a 5.01 40 and tested well athletically).  PFF liked him as a pass rusher and had him 111 on their board.

They ended up with:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
42. Jalen Reagor, WR, Arizona State
65. Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB, Appalachian State
107. Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech
116. Damien Lewis, G, LSU
137. Kenny Willikes, Edge, Michigan State
147. James Lynch, DL, Baylor

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Thanks for the summary, @THE DUKE. But this stood out to me. I don’t see that comparison at all. Reagor is rapid; extraordinarily fast. Woods doesn’t nearly have the speed.

Robert Woods combine results:
6'1", 201 lbs
4.51 40
14 bench reps
33.5" vert
117" broad
7.15 3 cone
4.47 shuttle

Jalen Reagor combine results:
5'11", 206 lbs
4.47 40
17 bench reps
42" vert
138" braod
7.31 3 cone
4.46 shuttle

I mean, his explosion tests (vert and broad) are much better, but in terms of quickness, suddenness, and overall speed it seems pretty close to maybe even in Wood's favor.  I'm guessing Reagor bulked up a little for the combine and probably played under 200 lbs last year.

25 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Robert Woods combine results:
6'1", 201 lbs
4.51 40
14 bench reps
33.5" vert
117" broad
7.15 3 cone
4.47 shuttle

Jalen Reagor combine results:
5'11", 206 lbs
4.47 40
17 bench reps
42" vert
138" braod
7.31 3 cone
4.46 shuttle

I mean, his explosion tests (vert and broad) are much better, but in terms of quickness, suddenness, and overall speed it seems pretty close to maybe even in Wood's favor.  I'm guessing Reagor bulked up a little for the combine and probably played under 200 lbs last year.

40 times aside, Reagor is noticeably faster on tape. He blows by everybody. I’ve never seen that from Woods.

This week doing what they think the Bengal would do.   Used The Draft Network's mock draft machine.

Trade down 6 spots in 2nd for an extra 4th

Joe Burrow

Patrick Queen

Bryan Edwards (fit the Bengals WR draft profile very well)

Tyler Biadasz

Bradley Anae

They thought that'd be an A draft 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

This week doing what they think the Bengal would do.   Used The Draft Network's mock draft machine.

Trade down 6 spots in 2nd for an extra 4th

Joe Burrow

Patrick Queen

Bryan Edwards (fit the Bengals WR draft profile very well)

Tyler Biadasz

Bradley Anae

They thought that'd be an A draft 

How did they trade back and still land Queen?