Locked on Benglas Mock Draft Mondays

THE DUKE

On 4/6/2020 at 3:27 PM, THE DUKE said:

The board still had Epenesa, Gross-Matos, and a couple other good players I can't recall.  Queen misses a couple of the metrics the Bengals usually take at LB, but they felt more comfortable with that after a trade down.

In all actuality, if Queen is there at 33, we better be sprinting to the podium to announce the pick... or whatever the equivalent would be for this year... lol. Maybe announce the pick Thursday night still instead of waiting until Friday.

Just now, Carson4MVP said:

In all actuality, if Queen is there at 33, we better be sprinting to the podium to announce the pick... or whatever the equivalent would be for this year... lol. Maybe announce the pick Thursday night still instead of waiting until Friday.

It’s not often you get arguably a top 15 talent to fall out of the first. 

19 minutes ago, BengalsBite said:

The more I watch Queen, the less I want him. It seems like he’s always behind. That could be just his inexperience tho

You nailed it. I will say he got way better as the season progressed, and you can see his growth peak through the playoffs and into the National Title game. He's a similar prospect to Devin White, in that he's blazing fast, has a ton of potential, and not a lot of starting experience (his junior year was his first year starting). He's also still pretty young (21). 

Just be mindful what games you're watching and where they fall on LSU's schedule. The early games might look rough. You're drafting him based on his immense potential.

15 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Just be mindful what games you're watching and where they fall on LSU's schedule. The early games might look rough.

Yea, I’m rewatching the season game by game to see our baby lol. I just finished the Auburn game 

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Queen's hype is tied directly to his last 3 games.  SEC Championship, semi-final, and final,  he was the best defender on a very talented LSU defense. 

The Bengals have a long history of selecting players with good athleticism and production.  Queen doesn't have a ton of production, and for that reason i don't think the Bengals are going to look his way.  It's probably best if he's selected before pick 33.  Gives them another player they might actually take to select from.

24 minutes ago, theJ said:

The Bengals have a long history of selecting players with good athleticism and production.  Queen doesn't have a ton of production, and for that reason i don't think the Bengals are going to look his way.  It's probably best if he's selected before pick 33.  Gives them another player they might actually take to select from.

Normally I’d agree, but they’ve met with Queen at the combine, so I think there is some legitimate interest. We’ve also swung and missed on Malik Jefferson (albeit, in the 3rd round) - who had elite athleticism and little production over a 3 year span starting. So it’s not like they’re incapable of breaking their mold. 

If Queen started as many games as Jefferson and still had no production, I’d be far more skeptical of him. But he didn’t get that starting experience, and flashed elite potential and signs of growth towards the end of his tenure. Perhaps he just needs more experience.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Normally I’d agree, but they’ve met with Queen at the combine, so I think there is some legitimate interest. We’ve also swung and missed on Malik Jefferson (albeit, in the 3rd round) - who had elite athleticism and little production over a 3 year span starting. So it’s not like they’re incapable of breaking their mold. 

If Queen started as many games as Jefferson and still had no production, I’d be far more skeptical of him. But he didn’t get that starting experience, and flashed elite potential and signs of growth towards the end of his tenure. Perhaps he just needs more experience.

Maybe.  I'm willing to bet though that someone else will be available at 33 that has the athleticism and production, and they'll make that selection instead.  From what i've seen (and i'm no draft expert), that's probably not going to be at LB.  

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Maybe.  I'm willing to bet though that someone else will be available at 33 that has the athleticism and production, and they'll make that selection instead.  From what i've seen (and i'm no draft expert), that's probably not going to be at LB.  

Fair enough. To be honest I don’t see Queen being on the board at 33 anyway. Baun fits what you’re outling more than Queen. Maybe he’s the guy they’re after. Not to mention it’s customary for Lapham to nail that pick 2 months in advance.

My ideal short list for 33 currently: Josh Jones, Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen, Denzel Mims, Justin Jefferson, Zach Baun, Ross Blacklock, Jeff Gladney. And I could probably be swayed on Tee Higgins.

Hoping for one of those. If not, trade back.

Edited by SmittyBacall

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Fair enough. To be honest I don’t see Queen being on the board at 33 anyway. Baun fits what you’re outling more than Queen. Maybe he’s the guy they’re after. Not to mention it’s customary for Lapham to nail that pick 2 months in advance.

My ideal short list for 33 currently: Josh Jones, Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen, Denzel Mims, Justin Jefferson, Zach Baun, Ross Blacklock, Jeff Gladney. And I could probably be swayed on Tee Higgins.

Hoping for one of those. If not, trade back.

I'd add Isaiah Wilson and cut off Gladney for now.   

If I had to order them, I'd say:

Baun

Queen

Murray

Mims

Jones

Wilson

Jefferson

Blacklock

My biggest worry is that all three of those LBs, both WRs, and the top 6/7 OTs are all gone day 1.  Because I have no idea what they'd do.  They grabbed the three CBs in free agency, and the d-line is already deep, especially at DT.  Maybe an true edge guy?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

My biggest worry is that all three of those LBs, both WRs, and the top 6/7 OTs are all gone day 1.  Because I have no idea what they'd do.  They grabbed the three CBs in free agency, and the d-line is already deep, especially at DT.  Maybe an true edge guy?

I could still see them grabbing a CB still.  WJIII has one year left on his deal, Alexander is on a one year contract, and Phillips is unproven.  They don't have much of a long term solution there.

Hopefully they're not ruling out any position.

44 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Ross Blacklock

I’m so happy you mentioned him. I’m in love with him and Marlon Davidson. Imagine either of them at the second DE spot in a 3-4 look. 

With the way that a lot of mock drafts are falling, I really see one of the CBs being true bpa for them. They probably did enough in free agency, in their eyes, to be comfortable with going true bpa at 33 and wouldn’t be surprised with a DT or CB