BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

May 30th of this year is the deadline for Watsons option. Won't change anything this year. 

It ruins the plan of fixing his contract situation then making roster moves. It’s a day to day process.

2 hours ago, MD4L said:

It ruins the plan of fixing his contract situation then making roster moves. It’s a day to day process.

What do you mean?

If he signed a new deal today, you couldn't "fix" his contract situation on your end. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Edit: unless you plan on 100% extending him if he signed a 40mil/yr contract soon.

Edited by Jlash

22 minutes ago, Jlash said:

What do you mean?

If he signed a new deal today, you couldn't "fix" his contract situation on your end. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

Edit: unless you plan on 100% extending him if he signed a 40mil/yr contract soon.

I think he’s talking about if he uses all his 3ups and Watson signs a new contract he will have to pay the fifth year option for this year instead of 3up that new contract cus he used them all? 

3 hours ago, MD4L said:

9 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I wanted to apply his 5th year tender to our payroll before 3 downs. 

5th year options don't work that way anymore. There is no averaging of the 2 years anymore. We voted to change that this past off season.

BDL players basically play out their 4 year deals now (or 3 years + RFA) and then everything happens in the offseason.

So even if he is tendered his 5th year you don't have any options this year. If he hasn't signed a long term deal by BDL offseason 2021 you could then use your 5th year option or of he has you have to 3 Up him next year.

He is what the rule is now.

• 5th Year Options (Start of Off-Season until beginning of BDL FA)

• If a real life NFL 1st round player is tendered their 5th year option a team can match it at 75% without using one of their 3 Ups for the year.

• Like 2

Just now, MD4L said:

Thanks for the heads up. That makes a couple decisions easier.

Yeah the goal was to try and remove all the headaches of trying to find the best way to manage your roster and just have a plain set of rules to follow.

• Like 1