BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Guys don't suddenly not count against the cap if they get hurt.  And they aren't retiring.  

Umm. NFL literally is doing this. So denied

20 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

If you're going to remove the salary cap for players that aren't playing due to Covid, we might as well remove the cap hit for all injured, released/free agent and suspended players too. 

The NFL is literally doing this right now. Players that opt out don't count against the roster and don't count against the salary cap and the player doesn't accrue a year. Why is it that hard to mimic that here? They literally set it up for us.

• Like 1

The NFL also has far more complicated contractual structures and rules governing these contracts (and they pay these guys real money, which of course is the biggest difference). If we had a system where contracts were partially guaranteed, players were paid incentives and bonuses based on different criteria and we could cut players with different dead cap hits, sure. At this stage for BDL purposes it's really no different to an injury or suspension and should be treated accordingly. 

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

The NFL also has far more complicated contractual structures and rules governing these contracts. If we had a system where contracts were partially guaranteed, players were paid incentives and bonuses based on different criteria and we could cut players with different dead cap hits, sure. At this stage for BDL purposes it's really no different to an injury or suspension and should be treated accordingly. 

No it shouldn't. The player voluntarily chose to not get paid there guaranteed contract or play this season. They don't still get paid their lucrative deal. This is not the same and should be treated differently. On IR they still get paid in the NFL.

Edited by PR

It would really help me understand where everyone is coming from if I knew who had who opting out this year for their team. Then I can determine if someone has an unbiased opinion such as WW or if they are trying to protect themselves due to them having guys sitting out. 

This is seriously reminiscent of the you signed a player and they retired sctick again. If the rule is only set out to penalize a team then it is not a good rule. Keeping a contract as is when the IRL is wiped from the cap for a year is just that, a penalty.

We did FA and resignings and such in mid June before the MLB even came up with the idea of opt outs. The first opt out in MLB was two weeks after BDL FA. Members of our league saying now... "You should have known it could happen" are just majorly hindsighting right now. No one had a damn clue what this season would look like. 

To treat this as a normal situation in an abnormal time makes no logical sense.

I do not stand for penalty culture.

• Like 2

Just now, Counselor said:

It would really help me understand where everyone is coming from if I knew who had who opting out this year for their team. Then I can determine if someone has an unbiased opinion such as WW or if they are trying to protect themselves due to them having guys sitting out. 

Only guy I have is a backup in Nate Solder right now.

1 hour ago, WFLukic said:

If you're going to remove the salary cap for players that aren't playing due to Covid, we might as well remove the cap hit for all injured, released/free agent and suspended players too. 

54 minutes ago, PR said:

Umm. NFL literally is doing this. So denied

This.

This a special circumstance and will not change the status of those players, however we should address the opt out players by at least considering slashing the salary cap if a player is going to sit out the year they shouldn't get paid (they will in the NFL but only the minimum 150-350k) 

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I have Dont’a Hightower