BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

10 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

OK well if signing bonuses count I think half contract seems fair 

If they do half contract then they keep all of the years on their contract still starting next year and is next years pay half as well?

54 minutes ago, Counselor said:

If they do half contract then they keep all of the years on their contract still starting next year and is next years pay half as well?

One thing at a time my friend.  But any subsequent years would go back to normal.  Just my opinion 

Edited by bcb1213

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

OK well if signing bonuses count I think half contract seems fair 

A bigger fan of mirroring the NFL and having them count for $150 or $350 depending on the reason for opting out.

4 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

But that also disregards the signing bonus part 

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

For instance if I have an opt out on a 1 year 2k contract I pay 1k this year but still have him next year on the 1k contract for 1 year? @bcb1213

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Explain to me like I'm 5, how Covid opt-outs would differ from injuries, suspensions, or time off otherwise?

Anyone thinking of splitting a contract over multiple years is nuts.

We're not doing that in any BDL year math is hard, either a full stopgap of they don't count against the cap but count $350 and their contract tolls to the next year. Or their contract stays the same and we just treat it like an injury.

There's no decent middleground without unnecessary complications for how we handled contracts in the past and future. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xmad said:

We're not doing that in any BDL year math is hard, either a full stopgap of they don't count against the cap but count $350 and their contract tolls to the next year. Or their contract stays the same and we just treat it like an injury.

There's no decent middleground without unnecessary complications for how we handled contracts in the past and future. 

To be fair splitting in half also makes it easier to just double the next season record keeping wise. 

2 minutes ago, Xmad said:

So you aren’t quitting 

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Explain to me like I'm 5, how Covid opt-outs would differ from injuries, suspensions, or time off otherwise?

Well. Brandon Brooks can't bring his torn achilles home and give his wife a torn achilles, then give that to her parents, and one of them dies from that torn achilles. Suspensions don't do that either. Those things are consequences of a players decision to get on the field and the team assumes that risk with them. We sign players, we assume that risk with them as well. This is a situation more unique than any I can remember where teams are letting players decide to not risk the health and lives of not only themselves, but their family members, to the point where they aren't being punished, get a little bonus for deciding not to play, and their contract picks up right back where it left the previous year when this is all hopefully done. 

To me, that's the difference. Whether a 5 year old would get that or not, I don't know. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

But that also disregards the signing bonus part 

We don’t deal with that here so it’s more complicated talking guaranteed money into account. Technically all our BDL money is guaranteed.

53 minutes ago, Counselor said:

So you aren’t quitting 

Oh I'm quitting I'm just gonna miss these BDL arugments. 

I've already found a successor to just waiting on him to confirm.