BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I view it much the same as if you signed a player in FA and said player pops his ACL in training camp.  He would count against your cap but not your roster. 

The decision you made as an owner didn't change whatsoever, so I would be against completely wiping that contract off the books.

If a player holds out or gets a suspension, they still count against your cap.  Did SirA get a break with Le'Veon when he sat out the entire season?  Would I get DeAndre Baker removed if he goes to jail?

The logic behind removing their cap hit is that the players' made a choice to sit out this season.  Players make financial choices to sit out or stupid choices to get themselves suspended and we have never made exceptions for them.

That said, this choice is one made for slightly different reasons than mentioned above.  Which is why I think them counting half is definitely fair.  Especially because all bonuses, like signing bonuses, still count against NFL teams cap for this season.  For instance, the Packers gave Devin Funchess a 1 mil signing bonus which he still gets this year even though he opted out.  If Vic Beasley sits out for the Titans, he still gets a 6 mil signing bonus even though his total contract amount is only like 7.5 mil.

So instead of trying to do all that math and figure out the actual cap hit per player, making it half accounts for a personal choice they have made while realizing signing bonuses still count this year and allows BDL owners some relief to sign a replacement if needed.

That's my logic and I think it is reasonable.

Except it is 0% like an injury. An injury isn't RL voluntary. It's a freak thing that you know is always a possibility.  In no way shape or form is that what opting out is. That logic yhat you attempted to suggest, imo, is seriously flawed. Same with holding out or suspension, you know its a possibility when signing them. NO ONE knew Covid-19 was a possibility that would lead to opting out 

Edited by wwhickok

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

If they do half contract then they keep all of the years on their contract still starting next year and is next years pay half as well?

Doing half opens up a stupid can of worms. 

Teams with an opted out player should get that player for the length of time they signed them for. Which they don't if ANY of that cap hit counts this season.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Teams with an opted out player should get that player for the length of time they signed them for. Which they don't if ANY of that cap hit counts this season.

stupid the wizard of oz GIF

9 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You love to call out the “powers” and that they don’t do anything or whatever. You aren’t oppressed man. It will be okay.

hugs monkeys GIF by Cheezburger

I think the arguement the "powers" are attempting to make here is illogical and pointless. Y'all can think of me what you want. I ain't backing down AND I wasn't able to do a show this week but I've got one of my topics for next week :D

I wasn't calling your opinion stupid, I am.saying I think it creates a larger headache.

Edited by wwhickok

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

I think the arguement the "powers" are attempting to make here is illogical and pointless. Y'all can think of me what you want. I ain't backing down AND I wasn't able to do a show this week but I've got one of my topics for next week :D

I wasn't calling your opinion stupid, I am.saying I think it creates a larger headache.

I know man. I’m just having fun with you. Nothing but love.

2 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Players can also opt out of playing in the NFL and avoid injuries that way. The only difference is they get paid nothing instead of 150k. 

You're equating this to something that doesn't happen. 

This isn't college where guys skip bowl games to avoid injury. These are people concerned about the health of themselves and their families, to the point where the NFL is in agreement and completely accommodating to it. This is unprecedented. To pretend like this is run of the mill is ignorant and ridiculous. 

35 minutes ago, Jlash said:

You're equating this to something that doesn't happen. 

This isn't college where guys skip bowl games to avoid injury. These are people concerned about the health of themselves and their families, to the point where the NFL is in agreement and completely accommodating to it. This is unprecedented. To pretend like this is run of the mill is ignorant and ridiculous. 

Night In Lol GIF by San Diego Zoo

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I mean worldwide pandemic rule would pretty much close the can of worms to be fair