BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

I like Winston more than most but I do think it's a stretch to suggest the most recent version of him would have great success as a starter. The lacking decision making skills and propensity for turnovers will catch up to you over the long-run.

Perhaps with time to study the game under Brees and Payton he'll improve, especially given he is young, but based on the most recent version of him we've seen he's perfect as a high-end back-up for a team which is overly reliant on their QB (e.g. Seattle). Unlike most backups who won't win you a game but instead play to not lose you it, he can actually dominate and win you a game off his arm and could probably do it for a few weeks before the inevitable crashing and burning. 

Edited by WFLukic

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I genuinely disagree, but it seems as if our perceptions differ and that’s cool. I know the negative that comes with Winston, but I also think he’s as good as probably 1/4 (8~ or so) of the starters that are in the NFL presently.

I think if we were talking about a non-FSU quarterback, this wouldn't even be a discussion. We can debate how good Goff or Garoppolo really are, I don't think either of them is above criticism after the past year and a half of games, but they aren't killing their teams with consistently bad decision-making resulting in turnovers. Winston's 4.8% interception rate last year is grossly unacceptable, and it came with elite receivers, a decent defense, and an offensive scheme that suited his strengths. If he couldn't succeed with Tampa last year, I don't think he ever will.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I genuinely disagree, but it seems as if our perceptions differ and that’s cool. I know the negative that comes with Winston, but I also think he’s as good as probably 1/4 (8~ or so) of the starters that are in the NFL presently.

Lol, gtfoh.  Are you drunk tonight, you're making almost zero sense.

EDIT:  I misread this, I though you said 8 QBs were better.

Edited by pheltzbahr
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I like Winston more than most but I do think it's a stretch to suggest the most recent version of him would have great success as a starter. The lacking decision making skills and propensity for turnovers will catch up to you over the long-run.

Perhaps with time to study the game under Brees and Payton he'll improve, especially given he is young, but based on the most recent version of him we've seen he's perfect as a high-end back-up for a team which is overly reliant on their QB (e.g. Seattle). Unlike most backups who won't win you a game but instead play to not lose you it, he can actually dominate and win you a game off his arm and could probably do it for a few weeks before the inevitable crashing and burning. 

You can't fix a guy from the neck up. All of this was true for Jay Cutler, and I would hope we all know how that went in the long run.

Just now, Blue said:

I think if we were talking about a non-FSU quarterback, this wouldn't even be a discussion. We can debate how good Goff or Garoppolo really are, I don't think either of them is above criticism after the past year and a half of games, but they aren't killing their teams with consistently bad decision-making resulting in turnovers. Winston's 4.8% interception rate last year is grossly unacceptable, and it came with elite receivers, a decent defense, and an offensive scheme that suited his strengths. If he couldn't succeed with Tampa last year, I don't think he ever will.

I am happy you acknowledged the FSU thing.

My opinion: Jameis is better than 8 or so of NFL starters (23-27 range), you think he’s better than 4 or (28-31 range) so. It might seem like we’re drastically disagreeing but the overall grade is relatively similar. I could see him in a better position to start next year. I would be shocked if he didn’t get another chance.

12 minutes ago, MD4L said:

It wasn’t as successful with Chicago. I think lots of NFL caliber athletes can successfully contribute in the right scheme, but if you try to make them a focal point it crumbles with added responsibility.

You're saying this like he is crumbling in Carolina.  Whatever man, I think you're just trolling at this point.

Just now, pheltzbahr said:

You're saying this like he is crumbling in Carolina.  Whatever man, I think you're just trolling at this point.

Why can’t I acknowledge that a player isn’t a high level guy (IMO) but remain respectful about his production? 

Mike Davis was in the NFL for 5 years this season and his career high was 514 yards. He’s been excellent as the RB for Carolina but I’m going to equally give credit to scheme, Joe Brady, Bridgewater, and those WRs being so hard to gameplan for that most DCs are comfortable letting Davis do damage at the expense of the other weapons on his respective team. It’s a respectable tradeoff.

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

Mike Davis was in the NFL for 5 years this season and his career high was 514 yards. He’s been excellent as the RB for Carolina but I’m going to equally give credit to scheme, Joe Brady, Bridgewater, and those WRs being so hard to gameplan for that most DCs are comfortable letting Davis do damage at the expense of the other weapons on his respective team. It’s a respectable tradeoff.

Real talk, is Teddy B one of the QBs you think Jameis is better than?

Just now, pheltzbahr said:

Real talk, is Teddy B one of the QBs you think Jameis is better than?

Nah. Teddy is more within 16-20 range. You can win with him but asking him to be the best player that elevates everyone else is a responsibility that very few QBs can in the league today.

Just now, MD4L said:

Nah. Teddy is more within 16-20 range. You can win with him but asking him to be the best player that elevates everyone else is a responsibility that very few QBs can in the league today.

You see what you're doing to your reasoning, no?