BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 minute ago, WFLukic said:

Yeah I don't really know what the fix is short of somehow expanding the league (which in itself is difficult). 

To be honest, I don't know what would be worse. Low vote totals, or high vote totals with no explanations from a bunch of people just trying to get a vote in before the dead line. I'd be more upset at losing a game where 8,9,10 people voted against me and I had no idea why, than losing 9-3 and everyone gave some constructive criticism.

Yeah definitely agree with you re: losing a game with explanation vs. one without. I mean at this stage though we're getting low turnout and the comments are often nothing more than a token "I'm going with X this week". At least with more teams/voters you solve the turnout issue or at least 75% turnout in a league of 20 or 24 is 15-18 votes. 

• Like 1

After going over this weeks results here is what I am showing for the playoffs.

Gotham gets the 2 seed from H2H win over WSR.

ICBR gets the 6 seed over Cuba from 4 Division wins to 3 for Cuba.

Play Off - Week 1
New Orleans Jazz (8) @ Berlin Blitzkrieg (1)
Cuba Smugglers (7) @ Gotham Gashslayers (2)
Ivory Coast Black Rhino (6) @ Williamsport Soul Reavers (3)
Lancaster Werewolves (5) @ Singapore Sentinels (4)
  • Like 3

This is what I have as the original pick Draft Order if everything is chalk for the playoffs. Obviously this will change as teams lose and the  Bizz Bowl teams emerge.

We do use rotating draft order for teams with the same record in subsequent rounds. So that is why you will see teams flip flop if same record or cycle if 3 teams have the same.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18m0u20HQxf4IyWYXa3iUDLSQY_u8BQ7SSJguTKjZEx4/edit?usp=sharing

24 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

If I'm not mistaken, each playoff game is a rematch of an earlier game in the year (with Cuba v Gotham being both a divisional and week 12 rematch to boot!).

Yeah I will have to see if I can Avenge my Week 2  8-9 loss to Lancaster. Luckily I have all my weapons back now and will be brining the Coors Light to the Werewolves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

After going over this weeks results here is what I am showing for the playoffs.

Gotham gets the 2 seed from H2H win over WSR.

ICBR gets the 6 seed over Cuba from 4 Division wins to 3 for Cuba.

Play Off - Week 1
New Orleans Jazz (8) @ Berlin Blitzkrieg (1)
Cuba Smugglers (7) @ Gotham Gashslayers (2)
Ivory Coast Black Rhino (6) @ Williamsport Soul Reavers (3)
Lancaster Werewolves (5) @ Singapore Sentinels (4)

Uh oh frogs gonna have to go back to back against grampy.

3 hours ago, Jlash said:

I don't know man. It gets to the point of people just leaving if they feel they're being 'punished' since in reality this thing is all for fun. I'm not sure what difference enforcing it will make, because we still have people who vote on 8 full game plans in a matter of 3-4 minutes magically somehow. But..they voted and said "Berlin" so they've fulfilled what's been asked of them, really. 

You get 4 days to read through game plans and decide but it's still not enough time for everyone I guess. It is what it is. We have 3/4 of the league voting right now, not counting co-owners. I think there are a few teams who once they become more competitive things will be different. 

I usually have spread out votes but when I do cluster voting it’s because I have previously read the game plans, (as you said we have four days and I spread out my reading) and have finally made my decisions on those games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

This is what I have as the original pick Draft Order if everything is chalk for the playoffs. Obviously this will change as teams lose and the  Bizz Bowl teams emerge.

We do use rotating draft order for teams with the same record in subsequent rounds. So that is why you will see teams flip flop if same record or cycle if 3 teams have the same.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18m0u20HQxf4IyWYXa3iUDLSQY_u8BQ7SSJguTKjZEx4/edit?usp=sharing

We do!? I don’t recall this in 4 years now. Interesting. Are there examples from the past years?

8 minutes ago, Counselor said:

We do!? I don’t recall this in 4 years now. Interesting. Are there examples from the past years?

If it wasn't done then whomever was doing the draft was being lazy. The first 5-6 years when I ran the draft it was always done.

I could only find a draft order from 2016 and it's not going to be easy to parse things but when ever I did the draft order this was the way it was done.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WZxWKaYn5Ki7EWDVJYiEKZivzRrXpZnnWgP_q_85oeo/edit#gid=973293152

Edited by SirA1

6 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

If it wasn't done then whomever was doing the draft was being lazy. The first 5-6 years when I ran the draft it was always done.

Alright without everyone thinking I’m challenging this let me be clear. Can we put this in writing in the rules and guidelines going forward? Just like the tiebreaker order of deciding factors? Please

9 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I usually have spread out votes but when I do cluster voting it’s because I have previously read the game plans, (as you said we have four days and I spread out my reading) and have finally made my decisions on those games.

I do the same thing as far as reading the game plans, but unless one write up is a joke or a throwaway I always try to give some sort of feedback. Can't tell me rushing in 8 votes in a few minutes someone did anything but glance at rosters and pick a favorite. I generally know when I'm headed into a losing battle, but I like to know what parts of my game plan did or didn't resonate with voters so I can adjust and adapt. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jlash said:

I do the same thing as far as reading the game plans, but unless one write up is a joke or a throwaway I always try to give some sort of feedback. Can't tell me rushing in 8 votes in a few minutes someone did anything but glance at rosters and pick a favorite. I generally know when I'm headed into a losing battle, but I like to know what parts of my game plan did or didn't resonate with voters so I can adjust and adapt. 

I agree. I’ve never rushed 8 votes at one time. I’m talking 2 to 3 at the most

• Like 1