BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

In recap for our 2020 draft

We (Cuba) really liked the talent in this class and our scouting board cutoff some talented players because we wanted to go after areas we felt this draft was strong in. Glad to add Gareon Conley as part of this class because we were unable to get guys like Gladney or CJ Henderson, the latter being a guy we closely evaluated and thought highly of. This class was fun to build and these are guys we think NFL teams can mold into quality players because their athletic profile. 

1.13: Justin Jefferson: We felt very comfortable with him at every step of the evaluation process. He was extremely productive as a slot WR at LSU and if he plays the exact position in the NFL we have a likely starter. He can make plays on the ball and is a useful weapon on immediate throws. Watson’s best asset is his ability to break open from the pocket and make plays on the run. Jefferson is a strong player to create simple reads in an uptempo scheme and allow him opportunities to get YAC. If you remember we run more 3 WR sets than any other team in BDL. With how we like to move our receivers, it’s good to have a strong slot player who can also win outside if necessary. He played on the outside in 2018 and was able to make plays. We just think he’s a strong fit and a guy that can contribute immediately.

1.16: Mekhi Becton: He’s a guy that a lot of people like and other people dislike. To us whether you like the talent, the physical stature is legitimate. When he comes down on blocks there is too much sheer mass to not eventually get our running game going behind him. We view him as a foundational piece and more importantly a player that will start on someone’s offensive line. He’s got some things that need to be coached up like technique and more experience with an offensive line that runs professional schemes that leave Tackles on islands. We aren’t worried about him being an immediate high level player but there are too many developmental traits to not bring him in and give us a chance to get some young starters on our roster.

2.13: Denzel Mims: We ended the season with some depth issues at receiver. With Cooks no longer on the roster, we thought it would be wise to add another guy at a lesser combined salary but with upside to become a high caliber player. He tested like a high class athlete at the combine and again the physical traits are too intriguing to not give a player of Mims caliber a chance to play with Watson. His conference was not known for the CB play, but there was a couple talented CBs in his conference like Gladney and AJ Green. Look at the biz bowl teams from last year and they have a common identity of being loaded with weapons for their quarterback. It’s important for us to invest the same amount of weaponry for our team.

3.13: Ezra Cleveland: Another player who killed the combine. Boise State fielded one of two (Iowa is the other) offensive line to return all five starters and he was their best player. His footwork and agility correlates to being an excellent protector against agile pass rushers who can bend the edge. He’s going to need some additional strength in the NFL and that’s fine because there is long term upside. He has a lot of similarities to Eric Fisher and he’s been starting for KC for 6 years now. Fisher has also developed into a steady player in pass protection with the added help of Mahomes being able to use his mobility. We think the developmental traits can be molded quicker than people think and he ultimately becomes a long term starter.

5.10: Matt Hennessy: A big thing for our evaluations on offensive lineman is having guys who started over 30 games in their career, which is a correlation for durability and experience. Hennessy is a mobile offensive lineman with upside to become a long term starter. We don’t think it would be wise to allow him to start without competition but we aren’t in the gutter if he has to start this season. He’s got the ability to be a quality ZBS C and the athleticism suggests he can become a quality starter at that. Like Denzel Mims his positive reports at the senior bowl was a major plus.

6.14: Jabari Zuniga: We followed a strategy Camden and Berlin have done recently which is going after pass rushers with athleticism in the later rounds. He went to Florida so he had to be really good in our eyes, but the hope is he can become an immediate help like Maxx Crosby or even a John Comisky who will get more reps this season. He gained weight during the off season and still retained the high end athletic profile which is another plus to his positive analytical evaluation. Ultimately he’s a late rounder so expectations are modest, but we think there’s a chance he out produces the usual 6th round choice.

Edited by MD4L
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

At a high level, I definitely think Ivory Coast had the best draft. Queen was a bit of a reach, but otherwise they picked up a really good mix of talent and value. The triple dip at CB was some real **** as well I loved that. 

He’s a good drafter. He got Daniel Jones and Terry McLaurin late last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rackcs said:

All Undrafted Team:

QB: Anthony Gordon, Washington State
RB: Anthony McFarland Jr., Maryland
WR: Bryan Edwards, South Carolina
WR: Gabriel Davis, UCF
WR: Van Jefferson, Florida
TE: Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri
OT: Matthew Peart, UConn
OG: Ben Bredeson, Michigan
C: Nick Harris, Washington
OG: Logan Stenberg, Kentucky
OT: Jack Driscoll, Auburn

EDGE: Bradlee Anae, Utah
INT: Rashard Lawrence, LSU
INT: Larrell Murchison, NC State
EDGE: Darrell Taylor, Tennessee
LB: Troy Dye, Oregon
LB: Evan Weaver, California
CB: Troy Pride Jr., Notre Dame
CB: Michael Ojemudia, Iowa
CB: Darnay Holmes, CB, UCLA
S: Terrell Burgess, Utah
S: Brandon Jones, Texas

So you can name drop before the pfa 🤔

At least we got pick 1

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MD4L said:

I6.14: Jabari Zuniga: We followed a strategy Camden and Berlin have done recently which is going after pass rushers with athleticism in the later rounds. He went to Florida so he had to be really good in our eyes, but the hope is he can become an immediate help like Maxx Crosby or even a John Comisky who will get more reps this season. 

I'll take some Cominsky love.  Very curious to see how he gets used this year.

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

2021 BDL Mock Draft 1.0

Too early? Absolutely! Unnecessary? Sure! But when has that ever stopped me before? I just reused this year's draft order for now since teams are still going to change a lot going through FA and everything so I didn't want to even bother trying to do my own team rankings yet.

1. Antarctica Katabactic Beasts: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
Having a young QB didn't stop Antarctica from taking another top QB in the 2020 Draft but I think they'd be pretty nuts to take another QB next year. This is a likely trade out spot for someone willing to give up an insane haul for Trevor Lawrence but for now let's keep the pick in Antarctica. One of the bigger holes Antarctica neglected to fill was their need for a true LT to kick Cam Robinson to another position. Here they get that guy in Sewell, who was a co-offensive player of the year for the Pac-12 and received a second place Heisman vote all as an offensive lineman. He is a truly impressive physical specimen and about as good as it gets at the position.

2. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
I obviously thought IC should move on from Daniel Jones this year and grab Tua but that didn't happen. If there are still questions surrounding Jones this time next year, I think the Black Rhinos won't hesitate to grab a talent like Trevor Lawrence to be their QB of the future. If Jones shows massive improvement next year and looks to be the guy I could see IC trading out for a team wanting Fields or grabbing a true #1 WR like Ja'Marr Chase.

3. Williamsport Soul Reavers: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
Williamsport is very glad to have their top 3 pick in the 2021 BDL Draft unlike the previous one. Now they actually get a chance to grab their QB of the future and they go with Justin Fields. This is a no-brainer pick for a team that left the 2020 Draft still with not a single QB on their roster.

4. Sacramento Sasquatch (via Portland): Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
I know Sacramento says they regretted not ending up with a WR like CeeDee Lamb from the draft we just finished but I think he'll be just fine come next draft as he is in an excellent position to grab one of the top players in the draft in Ja'Marr Chase. Trying to guard Chase while also having to account for the speed of Henry Ruggs III sounds like an absolute nightmare.

5. Seoul Dragons: Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
Seoul got really good value in adding Kristian Fulton to their secondary this year. They still could use some more help at CB though so that's why they add Surtain here who has a great combination of size, speed, and athleticism that will help him at the next level. If that doesn't sell you, he started as a freshman for Alabama.

6. Sacramento Sasquatch: Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State
Sacramento has a lot of youth at CB so it'll be interesting to see how/if that talent develops over the upcoming season. They could still be looking for a guy when we get around to the 2021 Draft so that's where Wade comes in. Wade was looking to be a decently high pick but decided to stay in school so that he could transition from the slot to the outside as a CB. I think he'll do well at this new spot and go higher than he would've if he'd declared early.

7. Gotham Gashslayers: Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami
One position that Gotham could still use help at is EDGE. They grabbed Zack Baun who can be a contributor there but isn't a true, dominant pass rusher. He still needs someone else to play the position as well. Rousseau had a dominant redshirt freshman season for Miami but his numbers declined last year due to teams scheming around him and double teaming him. We'll see if he can take that next step and learn to be effective despite this next season.

8. Lancaster Werewolves: Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
One of the positions Lancaster needed to address but couldn't until late is LB. There are a couple of decent young players in that LB group for the Werewolves but they could use that next-level dominant defender to help take that defense to the next level. Enter Parsons who is a freak athlete and a hard hitter.

9. Williamsport Soul Reavers (via Hungary): Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson
Williamsport has some decent receivers but lacks a number one guy. That'll be important to get with a rookie QB leading the franchise so they grab Ross here. He is a physical freak with huge upside who could end up being considered the best WR in this draft.

10. Rome Eternals: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
Rome is another team who really needed help at receiver going into the 2020 Draft but didn't address the position until very late. Luckily for him the 2021 Draft looks to be just as stacked at WR. It may not be as deep as the 2020 Draft but I think there are more high end guys. They grab another here, Waddle. He was the youngest member of the Alabama quartet last year but still got his in a group that included two top 10 BDL draft picks. 

11. Williamsport Soul Reavers (via Oklahoma City): Walker Little, OT, Stanford
Williamsport took an OT fairly early in the draft and have a couple of young guys at the position but don't have that star LT who can consistently shut down opposing pass rushers just yet. With Little they'll be getting a guy who is a grinder in the run game and a beast in pass protection. There is risk with him however as he had a nasty knee injury last year so it'll be interesting to see how he recovers.

12. Singapore Sentinels: Marvin Wilson, INT, Florida State
Singapore has quite a few bodies at the INT position but nobody that inspires confidence at consistently being able to hold up next to Aaron Donald. Marvin Wilson supposedly earned a first round grade from the draft advisory board but decided to go back anyways. Wilson is a plus pass rusher at the DT position and should make a scary duo with Aaron Donald.

13. Cuba Smugglers: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
With Cuba's top RBs all only having one year left on their deals, it's possible that Cuba could look to move to a cheaper alternative and grab the speedster Etienne. Etienne was my favorite RB prospect in the 2020 Draft before he returned to school so I expect him to go pretty high next year.

14. Seoul Dragons (via Berlin): Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Seoul grabbed some help at OT in this last draft but could've done more to address the interior OL in my opinion. Here they grab Humphrey, who I thought was going to be a first round pick in this current draft before going back to school. He's a big guy but he can still move well and provides an intimidating presence on the inside.

15. Sacramento Sasquatch (via New Orleans): Xavier Thomas, EDGE, Clemson
Sacramento grabbed K'Lavon Chaisson this year but indicated that he intends to use him as a LB. If that's the case and it works out well then he may still be in the market for an EDGE player next draft. Xavier Thomas has all of the tools you want out of a pass rusher but hasn't quite put it all together yet so we'll see how he develops in this upcoming season.

16. Sacramento Sasquatch (Camden Hood Rats): Brevin Jordan, TE, Miami
Sacramento has some decent young options at TE but still needs to replace the presence of George Kittle. Here they grab the insanely athletic Brevin Jordan who should provide a dynamic pass catching option from the TE position.

Other players considered: Seth Williams, WR, Auburn; Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas; Richard LeCounte, S, Georgia; Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama; Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue; Tamorrion Terry, WR, Florida State; Caden Sterns, S, Texas; Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia; Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford

I like it, just don't know why we are not picking 16th xD

19 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Just some ground rules for trading with the 2020-2021 champs from Antarctica (spell it right people)

You best not have a w in your name unless its @Whicker we love that guy.  

Just for the record, I was kidding about the Antartica part lol. 

But seriously, despite having done so in the past and I dont regret doing so, I wont be trading with division teams moving forward

Just now, wwhickok said:

I forget how we do it. Do we have BDL values for rookies or are they added to rosters after the real draft based on RL contracts/draft slots?

Values. Look at 2019 draft in the sheet and find your pick numbers and add up the salary.