BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

16 hours ago, MD4L said:

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif making Frenchmen proud @TedLavie

Yeah. Once the final list of these Opt Outs is known we should probably figure out how to handle them in BDL. At least before the Shark Tank so teams can try and replace players.

Basically from that I have read the player still accrues a season but they have a salary of either $350K or $150K instead of their regular salary. To be most forgiving they just wouldn't count against the BDL Cap since I don't think they make the Top 51 in the NFL and don't count there either.

So still on your roster and their contract counts down but don't count against your Cap or Roster limits. That just the KISS method. Open to other options as well.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Counselor said:

You draft/trade/sign a weenie you get stuck with the contracts! Now my highest paid player will sit out 🤣

There should be a definitive list in about a week or so as the players have to declare almost before Training Camp. I imagine that all of the sites like Spotrac will track it. 

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

Yeah. Once the final list of these Opt Outs is known we should probably figure out how to handle them in BDL. At least before the Shark Tank so teams can try and replace players.

Basically from that I have read the player still accrues a season but they have a salary of either $350K or $150K instead of their regular salary. To be most forgiving they just wouldn't count against the BDL Cap since I don't think they make the Top 51 in the NFL and don't count there either.

So still on your roster and their contract counts down but don't count against your Cap or Roster limits. That just the KISS method. Open to other options as well.

Basically if they are considered high risk for the virus they can medically opt out and receive the 350k and get an accrued season. If they do not have a medical reason they can still voluntarily opt out and receive a 150k salary advance that must be paid back out of next season's salary but they do not get an accrued season. Either way their contract still tolls. Just to add some clarity as to what the whole deal is. Either way I agree that your idea seems like the simplest and fairest going forward.

Imo, in BDL, if a player opts out in RL i feel like the team should get that contract savings (yearly cost that year) and the contract be put on hold. In other words for example let's say Player A opts out and he is on a 4 year contract for camden for 4500 a year. $4500 should be added back to Camdens available cap space and the contract of 4 years should be frozen. In 2021 they would keep player A on that 4 year contract of $4500 per and at that point the 4500 would be rededucted from their cap.space

Basically what rackcs said lol

Edited by wwhickok

22 minutes ago, pheltzbahr said:

We should wait and see how the nfl treats contracts for opt outs and mirror that.

They've already announced that. No matter what type of opt out the players choose, a year still tolls on the contract. The only difference is that medical opt outs accrue a year and non-medical opt outs do not.

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

They've already announced that. No matter what type of opt out the players choose, a year still tolls on the contract. The only difference is that medical opt outs accrue a year and non-medical opt outs do not.

Link?

13 hours ago, MD4L said:

The straw that broke the camels back is saying Adam Gase is an unfit leader.

Maybe, but I'd imagine taking a shot at the owner a few days ago on Twitter didn't help either. Right in both cases, and got him what he wanted, ultimately.