BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 hour ago, PR said:

This is seriously reminiscent of the you signed a player and they retired sctick again. If the rule is only set out to penalize a team then it is not a good rule. Keeping a contract as is when the IRL is wiped from the cap for a year is just that, a penalty.

We did FA and resignings and such in mid June before the MLB even came up with the idea of opt outs. The first opt out in MLB was two weeks after BDL FA. Members of our league saying now... "You should have known it could happen" are just majorly hindsighting right now. No one had a damn clue what this season would look like. 

To treat this as a normal situation in an abnormal time makes no logical sense.

I do not stand for penalty culture.

Injuries suck, man. But being able to GM around the pitfalls is part of the league 

1 minute ago, Whicker said:

Injuries suck, man. But being able to GM around the pitfalls is part of the league 

This isn't your regular scheduled program Whicker. These aren't just injuries like Brandon Brooks. These are guys opting out of a league and the teams not being on the hook for the pay. Enforcing that rule here when not enforced there is penalty culture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PR said:

This isn't your regular scheduled program Whicker. These aren't just injuries like Brandon Brooks. These are guys opting out of a league and the teams not being on the hook for the pay. Enforcing that rule here when not enforced there is penalty culture.

Theres no penalty culture at all. I don’t feel penalized. If I didn’t want to pay Hightower’s salary this year then I could have gotten rid of the contract in the offseason. If I end up having too many guys sit out the season and can’t replace them all, then either the season will be canceled or I will lose this year in BDL. Neither one of those seems unfair in any way 

Theres no penalty culture at all. I don’t feel penalized. If I didn’t want to pay Hightower’s salary this year then I could have gotten rid of the contract in the offseason. If I end up having too many guys sit out the season and can’t replace them all, then either the season will be canceled or I will lose this year in BDL. Neither one of those seems unfair in any way 

What is the purpose of altering the rule from the IRL rule?

2 minutes ago, PR said:

What is the purpose of altering the rule from the IRL rule?

Because I believe it is best for BDL. We aren’t trying to simulate Covid or its effects. We are trying to make the best and fairest system for us. 

3 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Because I believe it is best for BDL. We aren’t trying to simulate Covid or its effects. We are trying to make the best and fairest system for us. 

Why is it best for BDL? What positive effects does it have on the league? How does this rule make it unfair?

Just now, PR said:

Why is it best for BDL? What positive effects does it have on the league? How does this rule make it unfair?

It is unfair because it means people are playing with different caps right before a FA phase that is completely normal to BDL. There's no shark tank equivalent in the NFL. It is unfair because there's no difference in a guy like Brandon Brooks vs Dont'a Hightower (in terms of BDL), but yet one I get to save nearly 8k on for no real reason.

It's not negative, which erasing whole player's salaries just because we want to is.

4 minutes ago, Whicker said:

It is unfair because it means people are playing with different caps right before a FA phase that is completely normal to BDL. There's no shark tank equivalent in the NFL. It is unfair because there's no difference in a guy like Brandon Brooks vs Dont'a Hightower (in terms of BDL), but yet one I get to save nearly 8k on for no real reason.

It's not negative, which erasing whole player's salaries just because we want to is.

This is a fair point. Guys who strategized to save money for the Shark Tank now have other gms who didn’t save, get a pass and now have a bunch of money to spend while still getting to keep guys they signed in the future for the same years they signed them for. 

• Like 1

I don’t expect many of my guys to sit out due to having one of if not the youngest teams in the league and guys wanting to prove themselves. So I don’t know how fair my opinion is on the matter.

Now I’ll lose four guys tomorrow... watch. 

I do however lean toward supporting the guy who has someone sitting out and still says I’m okay with the money being tied up in my cap and not throwing the I should get to keep that money because I have someone sitting out and I should benefit from it. 

Camden who has 10.8 ish in cap would save 7.5k

Hungary who has 4.7k in cap would save 4.2k 

Cuba who has 31k in cap would save around 8k

OKC who has 38k in cap would save 7.5k and be down to 1 LBer 

Portland who has 13.6k in cap would save 6k

• Like 2

Free Agency as a whole for the NFL has been paused because FAs cannot visit coaches or stadiums. This is why you have a number of high profile FAs still without teams. Hell it took months for them to even get rookie contracts signed. To say they don't have a Shark Tank is ridiculous. The main reason for Shark Tank was to mimic the FAs that were signed late to cheap contracts just like what happens IRL. Most of the players signed right before camp are on one year prove it deals just like Shark Tank.

In the NFL everyone that was signed previously has the opportunity to sit out the year. There will probably be plenty more that will be coming. The NFL allowed players to sit out because of the health reasons but they did not want to penalize the teams either. 

Here is a penalty to be a penalty. There is already a clear path that the NFL and player union set. Follow the path.

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Camden who has 10.8 ish in cap would save 7.5k

Hungary who have 4.7k in cap would save 4.2k 

Cuba who has 31k in cap would save around 8k

OKC who has 38k in cap would save 7.5k and be down to 1 LBer 

If you think this is why I'm in this dog fight you are sorely mistaken. 

2 minutes ago, PR said:

If you think this is why I'm in this dog fight you are sorely mistaken. 

I’m just calculating everyone’s cap and savings they would get on players opting out so far. But you would stand to almost double your current cap number.