BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

43 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The only logic I see against removing the cap hit and roster spot allocation for players that have opted out is so that unaffected teams can take advantage of the disadvantage created for opposing teams due to these opt outs.

With very few if any exceptions none of these players were acquired with the knowledge that they would not be active members of the league in 2020 which is literally the case they have opted out of being members of the NFL for the 2020 season. Theres no way their cap hits or roster spot should count against affected teams. They need to be able to make an attempt.with that cap space and roster spot to replace a player who has opted out, even if it means others might not get an easier path to bizz bowl 

I view it much the same as if you signed a player in FA and said player pops his ACL in training camp.  He would count against your cap but not your roster. 

The decision you made as an owner didn't change whatsoever, so I would be against completely wiping that contract off the books.

If a player holds out or gets a suspension, they still count against your cap.  Did SirA get a break with Le'Veon when he sat out the entire season?  Would I get DeAndre Baker removed if he goes to jail?

The logic behind removing their cap hit is that the players' made a choice to sit out this season.  Players make financial choices to sit out or stupid choices to get themselves suspended and we have never made exceptions for them.

That said, this choice is one made for slightly different reasons than mentioned above.  Which is why I think them counting half is definitely fair.  Especially because all bonuses, like signing bonuses, still count against NFL teams cap for this season.  For instance, the Packers gave Devin Funchess a 1 mil signing bonus which he still gets this year even though he opted out.  If Vic Beasley sits out for the Titans, he still gets a 6 mil signing bonus even though his total contract amount is only like 7.5 mil.

So instead of trying to do all that math and figure out the actual cap hit per player, making it half accounts for a personal choice they have made while realizing signing bonuses still count this year and allows BDL owners some relief to sign a replacement if needed.

That's my logic and I think it is reasonable.

7 hours ago, Whicker said:

I don’t want to argue anymore. @Jlash, if I ever came across as confrontational or blaming or any of that, it wasn’t my intention, and I apologize. 
I will be voting for what I honestly believe is the best and fairest way to go about this situation. I’ve said my piece 

7 hours ago, Jlash said:

All good. Can't ask for anything else. 

Agreed gentlemen. I’m going to start reading and perhaps voice my own opinion again.

11 hours ago, Whicker said:

It is unfair because it means people are playing with different caps right before a FA phase that is completely normal to BDL. There's no shark tank equivalent in the NFL. It is unfair because there's no difference in a guy like Brandon Brooks vs Dont'a Hightower (in terms of BDL), but yet one I get to save nearly 8k on for no real reason.

It's not negative, which erasing whole player's salaries just because we want to is.

There is a clear difference between both players. For all intensive purposes, Brooks likely would have been playing if he didn’t get injured. 

11 hours ago, Counselor said:

Camden who has 10.8 ish in cap would save 7.5k

Hungary who has 4.7k in cap would save 4.2k 

Cuba who has 31k in cap would save around 8k

OKC who has 38k in cap would save 7.5k and be down to 1 LBer 

Portland who has 13.6k in cap would save 6k

I saved my $31k for the tank so the extra money is nice but just further cash for what was already planned to be a roster building time.

I traded a draft pick for Cannon and that obviously could’ve been put to better use.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

What happens if a player dies? Has there been precedent here with that? What did the league do when a player died if so? Does he stay on the team for that year even though he’s dead? Or does he get removed immediately from the roster?

I think this actually happened and he was kept on the roster as he was in locked status.  But that's been years and my memory is fuzzy from beers 

Edit. @SwAgam I remembering correctly 

Edited by bcb1213

44 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I think this actually happened and he was kept on the roster as he was in locked status.  But that's been years and my memory is fuzzy from beers 

Jovan Belcher was forced to remain on the roster....strictly because of the language we had written up. A bunch of us disagreed and said it was stupid, but the penalty culture (even more harsh then) pointed to him having just been signed and his roster status was "locked". After the season, we voted to immediately end doing that because it was stupid and unnecessarily punished the owner. Just like every ridiculous penalty culture rule we've ended up having, like back paying players who signed big deals while you had them on lower contracts from FA. That got me on multiple occasions where I would've had to pay the player far more in BDL than he was getting paid IRL. One, Kyle Long because he signed an extension earlier than most, (and then he was signed in FA for less than half what I was going to 3 up him for, big win for the player there) and Michael Bennett because Frogs signed him to a small deal when he was a nobody, and he busted out big time in Seattle. So a group of people decided it was necessary to punish an owner for getting a 'discount' by signing a FA to a lower deal and then they had a career breakout and signed a big contract. We finally got that fixed. Now we're doing it again, not to the same degree, but in the same mold.

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

For instance, the Packers gave Devin Funchess a 1 mil signing bonus which he still gets this year even though he opted out.

But his contract tolls into next year, does it not? 

12 minutes ago, Jlash said:

But his contract tolls into next year, does it not? 

Yep. He basically moved his one year deal from this year to next year. 

"By opting out, Funchess will remain under contract with Green Bay for 2021 with his salary for this year tolls to next year but he won’t get a stipend or salary advance due to going on injured reserve after Week 1 last year. His salary will also go towards the 2021 cap but his workout and signing bonuses will count towards this season’s cap."

32 minutes ago, PR said:

Yep. He basically moved his one year deal from this year to next year. 

"By opting out, Funchess will remain under contract with Green Bay for 2021 with his salary for this year tolls to next year but he won’t get a stipend or salary advance due to going on injured reserve after Week 1 last year. His salary will also go towards the 2021 cap but his workout and signing bonuses will count towards this season’s cap."

Right. So yea, GB still pays him 1 mil this year, but he won't get that next year and they still get his 1 year contract to work off of.