BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

55 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Geesh.  Give my opinion and you think I'm the new czar or something. 

Simmer down over there 

People suggest something, and you told them they can't have it that way. I didn't realize you telling them "no" was an opinion. But if that's what you call it or you worded it weird, that's fine. 

Edited by Jlash

Just now, Ragnarok said:

The idea of no football is making everyone a little testy.  I think that's a sign of addiction.

I'm okay with that.

This league was formed because of a lockout! It's what we're built on.

15 minutes ago, Jlash said:

People suggest something, and you told them they can't have it that way. I didn't realize you telling them "no" was an opinion. But if that's what you call it or you worded it weird, that's fine. 

I'm the numbers guy not the words guy.    Remember who was the pff disciple early on 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Just my opinion is all but I hear we can't do half salary cause that's not what the NFL is doing then we add on something that the NFL isn't doing.  Seems hypocritical is all 

I think its coming from a less hypocrisy standpoint, but rather a way to keep all owners happier.  The major roadblock seems to be cap manipulation in anticipation of ST. 

In this proposal, If you want the cap, you must honor the current contract pushed back a year.  If you want cap freedom in the future, suck it up this year.  Either way, you're paying the piper at some point and aren't forced one way or the other.

• Like 1

Just now, pheltzbahr said:

I think its coming from a less hypocrisy standpoint, but rather a way to keep all owners happier.  The major roadblock seems to be cap manipulation in anticipation of ST. 

In this proposal, If you want the cap, you must honor the current contract pushed back a year.  If you want cap freedom in the future, suck it up this year.  Either way, you're paying the piper at some point and aren't forced one way or the other.

As a further point on the first option, I assume all of you realize the NFL cap is going down in the future (and so would BDL by a one year lag),  so it actually is a very strategic decision.

• Like 2

We should probably habe a mini owners meeting to decide a few things pertaining to this season and covid.  Aside from how to deal with opt outs, we should anticipate things such as the NFL canceling its season midway and whether we continue or not (how that effects injury availability, how we evaluate etc).  If they have a season at all and how that effects us with contracts, injuries, evals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

Just my opinion is all but I hear we can't do half salary cause that's not what the NFL is doing then we add on something that the NFL isn't doing.  Seems hypocritical is all 

I am not against what Pheltz suggested, however, I do feel like it could over complicate things and make unnecessary work.

I wanted to expand on my suggestion of an extra 3D.  The reason I made such a suggestion is a 'reset opportunity for free agency IF the season were to be cancelled. An opportunity for the entire league not an individual team. I would also suggest that the extra 3D would only be able to be used on a Covid-Season signed player. Its fine if ppl are against it, against it was just a thought.

Edited by wwhickok

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I do feel like it could over complicate things and make unnecessary work

It's not complicated at all.

Your player opts out, you accept and he gets 150 or 350 and his contract tolls to next year at it's normal rate.

Your player opts out, you decline to toll the contract, you pay them their full amount for the year and the contract plays out at usual.

Both instances the opt out does not count against your roster number.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jlash said:

It's not complicated at all.

Your player opts out, you accept and he gets 150 or 350 and his contract tolls to next year at it's normal rate.

Your player opts out, you decline to toll the contract, you pay them their full amount for the year and the contract plays out at usual.

Both instances the opt out does not count against your roster number.

The minimal costs you suggested, thats a compromise I can get behind. I wouldn't agree to anything higher though