BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

I watched the Dolphins v Jets game. The Dolphins offense was not good - Fitz's decision making was poor and he was pretty inaccurate, but part of that fell on the OL who struggled a bit in pass pro too. Not going to single out Kindley because I can't say I was specifically looking for him, but I wouldn't say anyone on that offensive line played particularly well as pass-blockers. 

• Like 1

It was my understanding that once the deadline was missed, it was game over. Had it been more clear that yes, submitting late means you still get a fair shake at winning the game, I would have certainly spent at least sometime on Sunday to turn something in, rather than just submit a roster lineup and a blurb to keep the page from being 'empty'. No one really stepped in and stated otherwise either. And then later on when @Blue missed the deadline in his match against me, he provided the following post, which I can understand where he's coming from:

On 10/11/2020 at 11:05 AM, Blue said:

Gonna be real honest here, I was planning to do my gameplan and lineups this morning, but started feeling unwell late last night and ended up sleeping in until about twenty minutes ago. Don't think it would be fair to send in a writeup now, so I'm just gonna have to take the L this week. Sorry to those of you whose playoff and draft chances are affected by it, that's on me for waiting till the last minute.

And it seemed to be accepted, although he was also shamed in the game day thread. Again, no one really clarified he'd be good to submit it late. As far as I can recall this had been the accepted 'status quo' during my time here, so I'm just a bit caught off-guard when there's apparently another school of thought that it's acceptable.

I suppose it is up to each owner on whether or not there should be punishment for being late, but given that we have a deadline, and games 'start' after in my mind, unless it's a very short delay, it's as if your team is out there playing without a gameplan. It's a competitive advantage once you know who balled early or who shouldn't see the field that week. Hard to measure how late something is and how much impact does that have on the game, which I suppose leaves things up for interpretations. A few minutes late due to spotty signal? I can understand. A few hours late? Harder, and again, there's been a few nights where I sacrificed sleep to grind out a gameplan to submit and crash on Sunday night; acting like the deadline means nothing sort of feels like a slap in the face, just as someone blatantly tanking would be IMO. I guess in a way I've been following @bcb1213's rule with how I approached it, which is why it surprised me that someone would take offense to those voting against their team because of that. I've lost a landslide because of this, and I've won a landslide because of this. Neither feeling was satisfying. Barring some sort of lopsided matchup, such as the 2007 NE Patriots against the 2020 NY Jets, I'd argue a team playing without a gameplan / gameplan very late in the game is unlikely to find victory.

• Like 2

@Pickle Rick @The Orca @Ragnarok @Jlash @MD4L @pheltzbahr @PR @RuskieTitan @rackcs  @WFLukic @Blue @EaglesPeteC @Counselor  @bcb1213 @TedLavie @SirA1

Time to vote on the Game of the Week for week 7. I will be doing a preview show of said game that receives the majority votes 

Gotham @ AKB

Cuba @ Sacramento 

Camden @ Singapore 

Lancaster @ Seoul

Ivory Coast @ NOLA

Hungary @ Portland

Berlin @ WSR

Rome @ OKC

https://www.strawpoll.me/21130612 -- Poll for voting

For the love of God vote because right now Gotham/AKB is winning and I mean AKB isn't even trying to win lol so..

Just now, wwhickok said:

I was kidding Pickle, calm down. 🤣 but you've won 1 game. 

Tough schedule.  We are primed to make the playoffs as the worst playoff team.  Godwin being out most the season and Barkley out all season again is just killer.  We will get there though.  

32 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

It was my understanding that once the deadline was missed, it was game over. Had it been more clear that yes, submitting late means you still get a fair shake at winning the game, I would have certainly spent at least sometime on Sunday to turn something in, rather than just submit a roster lineup and a blurb to keep the page from being 'empty'. No one really stepped in and stated otherwise either. And then later on when @Blue missed the deadline in his match against me, he provided the following post, which I can understand where he's coming from:

And it seemed to be accepted, although he was also shamed in the game day thread. Again, no one really clarified he'd be good to submit it late. As far as I can recall this had been the accepted 'status quo' during my time here, so I'm just a bit caught off-guard when there's apparently another school of thought that it's acceptable.

I suppose it is up to each owner on whether or not there should be punishment for being late, but given that we have a deadline, and games 'start' after in my mind, unless it's a very short delay, it's as if your team is out there playing without a gameplan. It's a competitive advantage once you know who balled early or who shouldn't see the field that week. Hard to measure how late something is and how much impact does that have on the game, which I suppose leaves things up for interpretations. A few minutes late due to spotty signal? I can understand. A few hours late? Harder, and again, there's been a few nights where I sacrificed sleep to grind out a gameplan to submit and crash on Sunday night; acting like the deadline means nothing sort of feels like a slap in the face, just as someone blatantly tanking would be IMO. I guess in a way I've been following @bcb1213's rule with how I approached it, which is why it surprised me that someone would take offense to those voting against their team because of that. I've lost a landslide because of this, and I've won a landslide because of this. Neither feeling was satisfying. Barring some sort of lopsided matchup, such as the 2007 NE Patriots against the 2020 NY Jets, I'd argue a team playing without a gameplan / gameplan very late in the game is unlikely to find victory.

If you want to vote against late gameplans Ruskie that's fine, but you then have to be consistent about it. Bcb has been for about 3 years so that's not an issue. 

As a general stance, IRL stuff can get in the way so if someone wants to turn in a gameplan a couple hours late that's fine by me. And if you get an autoloss for submitting a gameplan 2 hours late then there's no point in writing a gameplan at all. 

However if you do submit a late gameplan, using results from the week is a no-no. That gets an autoloss for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pheltzbahr said:

I think if there is ever a complaint against it, it would be if someone is not consistent under the same circumstances.  I've called bcb out on that in a match where my opponent was late, yet he voted for them.  I've never seen bcb not vote against a late writeup other than that and he said he overlooked it, which I believe him.  If he ever does it to me again, I'm going to Ohio to shart in his face though.

He even voted against a team last year who had their owner replaced THAT morning and needed extra time to get their gameplan in.

• Like 1