BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

10 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Not gonna lie to ya . No idea who that Penn st tight end is but I I'm envisioning Kyle Brady and.. Just no 

He's been described as a baby Gronk. Similar play styles but I'm not as high on Freiermuth as others, I think he's more of a second round type of guy.

Mock Draft 3.0

These mocks have been tough this year honestly because I think the needs of some of these top teams don't necessarily match up with top talent. While it probably makes more sense to just go BPA all the time, it's not as fun for me as I like trying to fit together the available talent with the needs of the teams picking. So there are definitely some picks in here that are less likely to happen and aren't great but it is what it is.

Round 1

1. Sacramento Sasquatch (via Portland): Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
No matter what happens, the first overall pick is going to be Trevor Lawrence. Someone is either going to take him here or trade him for an assload of picks. Sacramento gets that luxury here. With Burrow on board it's likely to be a trade, but you never know.

2. Sacramento Sasquatch: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU
I strongly considered Sewell here, but SacTown has three solid OTs with at least 3 years on their contracts, including a first rounder from last year in Jedrick Wills. Instead he grabs a true number 1 WR for whoever his QB is in Ja'Marr Chase.

3. Antarctica Katabatic Beasts: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
Antarctica's OL issues are well known among us warped minded BDLers so they grab Sewell here. Many have described him as the best OT prospect since Orlando Pace and it's hard to disagree that he's not at least close to that level. He just turned 20 and will only continue to get better.

4. Seoul Dragons: Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
I wasn't planning on giving Seoul a QB here but it just kind of happened to be honest. I thought about slightly reaching for Caleb Farley. I also thought about Micah Parsons but spending back to back top 5 picks on LBs seems insane. In the end I went with Fields. Murray has struggled this year and while he's got 3 years left on his contract, it couldn't hurt to look for some competition now as without a QB, you're nothing.

5. Williamsport Soul Reavers (via Oklahoma City): Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
Williamsport is playing well this season with Big Ben but he's not signed for next season. And none of the QBs they do have signed for the future should be starting. So Williamsport has Trey Lance here. He looked just ok in his one game this season but for obvious reasons you can ignore that game to a certain extent. He has the tools to be great.

6. Rome Eternals: Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami
Rome unfortunately has some young EDGE rushers who have failed to pan out how many thought they would. Here they grab another high upside, athletic pass rusher. Rousseau still needs to refine his game but the sky is the limit with his potential.

7. Cuba Smugglers: Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
Cuba already has some well documented CB struggles (mostly due to injury) and a bunch of his guys are free agents at the end of this season. Here he grabs my favorite guy at that position in this class. Farley has some great coverage ability combined with nice ball skills.

8. Williamsport Soul Reavers (via Hungary): Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
WR isn't Williamsport's biggest need but they could still use a guy with Waddle's skillset. Waddle's speed is incredible and he's looked more refined in other technical aspects of WR play this year as well.

9. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
IC has all of their TEs expiring this offseason and so they replace them with one of the more dynamic TE prospects to come around in a while. Pitts is strong, athletic, and versatile and allows you to do a lot of things with your offensive game plan. This is about as high as I can see him going solely due to position but his talent is undeniable.

10. Singapore Sentinels: Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
Parsons will almost certainly go higher than this and in most mocks I think I'd find room for him earlier but it just didn't fall this way with many teams above here not needing a LB or having just taken some last year. Singapore should be ecstatic that he makes it here and run his pick in.

11. Sacramento Sasquatch (via New Orleans): Christian Barmore, INT, Alabama
I've really liked what I've seen from Barmore this year. He might not end up quite this high but he won't go much lower if he keeps up this level of play. SacTown has two solid INT defenders but I know he likes a rotation so with an abundance of early picks, he adds a good player here.

12. Gotham Gashslayers: Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State
Gotham's CBs have played very well this year but Verrett is going to be a FA after this season. Not to mention that even if he is resigned, he's always a big injury risk. Wade has played pretty much exclusively in the slot at Ohio State due to other talents being ahead of him but is finally getting his chance to play on the outside this year. Right now we know he's a great slot guy but if he can show the versatility to play outside that can only help his stock.

13. Sacramento Sasquatch (via Camden): Creed Humphrey, C, Oklahoma
Despite trading for Mitch Morse, Sacramento could still use some help at this position. Humphrey has not quite lived up to this high of a pick so far this year but I'm willing to give him time to turn it around before I completely sour on him as I liked him a lot last year.

14. Lancaster Werewolves: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
The AJ Green experiment hasn't quite worked out. He's looked a little bit better these past couple of weeks but still needs to be upgraded this offseason. DeVonta Smith fits nicely alongside Mike Evans and Diontae Johnson and should be a formidable trio.

15. Williamsport Soul Reavers: Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State
One of the main weak points on Williamsport's team (and it's not a huge weakness or anything) is the interior OL. Here they get a guy who should be an immediate starter at the next level.

16. Seoul Dragons (via Berlin): Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia
Seoul is one of many teams who has had issues at the CB position this year. Many of his guys are going to be FAs as well. Campbell is a guy with great traits who seems to finally be putting it all together this year for Georgia. He could be a good complement to Kristian Fulton in the future.

Round 2

1. Sacramento Sasquatch (via Portland): Jevon Holland, S, Oregon
God damn Sacramento and their goddamn million picks. Here they take a guy who I really like who can easily play that safety or slot CB or some combination. Point is he's versatile and I know Counselor likes versatility in his defensive backs.

2. Sacramento Sasquatch: Quincy Roche, EDGE, Miami
Sacramento took Chaisson last year but could use more help/depth at the position and they grab Roche, who has played well this year.

3. Antarctica Katabatic Beasts: Marvin Wilson, INT, Florida State
Antarctica continues to build up the trenches here by taking Wilson. They need someone reliable to play next to Buckner and while I have some questions about Wilson's upside, he should be nothing if not reliable.

4. Seoul Dragons: Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina
Chazz Surratt has continued his great play from last year and so he rises a bit. I said earlier Seoul could use another LB but probably wouldn't/shouldn't take another one top 5. Here they get another insanely athletic LB to play next to Simmons to form a great duo there.

5. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (via Oklahoma City): Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse
Ivory Coast doesn't need to start Troy Apke anymore but could still use another long term starter at this position. Cisco has a nose for the ball and should be a playmaker on the back end at the next level.

6. Rome Eternals: Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
Rome still has Cooper and Fuller who is finally staying healthy but some of the other guys he has are going to be FAs. Instead of spending money on them he grabs another one of the top WRs in this class. Bateman is a great, great complement to Cooper and Fuller and gives him some versatility at the WR position.

7. New Orleans Jazz (via Cuba): Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee
New Orleans doesn't have many holes but OG is certainly a spot they could improve upon. Just a few years ago it looked as though Trey Smith might never play again so for him to come back and play this well is very impressive.

8. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (via Hungary): Dillon Radunz, OT, North Dakota State
Dennis Kelly probably shouldn't be starting this many games in the BDL. Whether Trent Williams is brought back or not this offseason, IC could stand to add more help at OT.

9. Ivory Coast Black Rhinos: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
This is maybe a little higher than I'd take Etienne but both Chubb and Ekeler are FAs this offseason and we can see right now that he's going to need more than what he has if one or both of them leave.

10. Singapore Sentinels: Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame
Singapore is fine at OT right now but has no depth and could stand to start looking for their future beyond Duane Brown now.

11. New Orleans Jazz: Jay Tufele, INT, USC
New Orleans has some solid guys in the middle but could use a true standout player. Tufele is a very well-rounded player who I hope returns to play this season to show that he can take the next step I think he can.

12. Gotham Gashslayers: Carlos Basham Jr., EDGE, Wake Forest
With almost all of his EDGE guys going to FA this offseason, Gotham will be left with little depth behind Clowney. They take Basham here who may not create huge splash plays like some other guys at his position, but he's a smart player who will play hard every play and get the job done.

13. Rome Eternals (via Camden): Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
This is more of a value pick than anything else as Surtain could easily go 10 picks higher than this. Rome has many FAs at the CB position this offseason as well.

14. Sacramento Sasquatch (via Lancaster): Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
SacTown has had some struggles at CB this season and they grab Horn here who has looked very much improved from last year. I think he plays himself into this range if he keeps it up.

15. Williamsport Soul Reavers: Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue
This is just a complete value pick for Williamsport. WSR has two good possession guys and now add a speed guy in Waddle and an electrifying playmaker in Moore. This receiving corps now looks as good as anyone's in the league.

16. Berlin Blitzkrieg: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Aaron Jones is on an expiring contract and Berlin has basically nothing behind him. Harris is looking much more impressive this year and could slip into the tail end of the first round.

• Like 3