Cowboys Staff: OL J Philbin (+STC, OC, DL)

Matts4313

@Matts4313 remember in the "fix my team" post where I said your team's problems were likely already fixed? 

With this coaching staff, I'd say it's time to shed the "likely" tag. I'd be genuinely shocked if the Cowboys don't look much better next season. 

Jason Garrett stuck around a long time, but one of his biggest flaws, imo, is that he knew he had tremendous job security and never really had to learn from his mistakes. It was his first HC job, regardless of how long he kept it, and I think some bad habits probably never got their due diligence.

McCarthy, Nolan, and Tomsula all come with a wealth of experience- success and failure as coordinators and head coaches. Nolan and Tomsula have a wealth of experience on D, McCarthy on O. Keeping Moore on board is probably wise- he's probably got a great rapport with the players, offers continuity, and either he'll learn under McCarthy, McCarthy will have opened up to his OC's influence, or both. Fassell has plenty of his own accolades to bring along as well. 

I know teams assembling really good staffs can be overrated, but given where the Cowboys needed improvement and the optics for a long term outlook, these moves have been really impressive.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

He was good for you guys, right?

Philbin left GB after the 2011 season to coach Miami.

After getting fired there he moved on to Indy.

McCarthy brought him back as OC in 2018 to help bail out his sinking ship.

That arrangement worked out so well that Philbin was named the interim head coach for the last 4 games after McCarthy was fired.

It doesn't mean that he won't do a good job in Dallas, but Philbin has not done anything of note in Green Bay in over 8 years.

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Philbin left GB after the 2011 season to coach Miami.

After getting fired there he moved on to Indy.

McCarthy brought him back as OC in 2018 to help bail out his sinking ship.

That arrangement worked out so well that Philbin was named the interim head coach for the last 4 games after McCarthy was fired.

It doesn't mean that he won't do a good job in Dallas, but Philbin has not done anything of note in Green Bay in over 8 years.

Well the only miami fan I know is @TheKillerNacho on this website. And Colts fans are a myth, like bigfoot. So anyone, please tell me about him and his scheme. Power? Zone? 

Who ultimately is responsible for implementing this?

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Which one of your coaches implemented the strange wide-arm blocking that looks like holding? 

Should we expect more power or zone?

@CWood21 @Malfatron Feel free to chime in!

Probably Campen, Philbin got promoted which is something MM also likes to do, continually promote from within and also swap position coaches to other positions to round out their versatility. Philbin got hired away from us once he got to OC and Campen ran our line from then on. He's primarily a zone guy, Mac inherited him from Mike Sherman and was one of the few he kept. They were together until 2011 and then he brought him back in 2018.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Probably Campen,

here's a great article on it from PackersNews

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/01/21/mcginn-pass-protection-technique-drawing-praise/96847704/

In hands inside, the blocker’s first move is a straight-ahead punch and grab toward the middle of the pass rusher’s chest. The breast-plate aiming point has been pre-eminent since 1978, when offensive linemen were first permitted to extend their hands in pass protection.

In hands outside, the blocker’s first move is the outward thrust of the hands toward the outside of his opponent’s shoulders.

“The Packers throw their hands on the sides of everybody’s shoulders,” said an NFL offensive line coach. “It looks like they just clamp their hands on the outside. You’re not grabbing the jersey. It doesn’t look like it’s truly holding. They just get in front of you. They’re good at it.”

"One thing is near certain: Every head coach and offensive line coach in the league will be watching to see just what methods the Packers are employing to protect their quarterback so well now and for so many games. "

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

here's a great article on it from PackersNews

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/01/21/mcginn-pass-protection-technique-drawing-praise/96847704/

In hands inside, the blocker’s first move is a straight-ahead punch and grab toward the middle of the pass rusher’s chest. The breast-plate aiming point has been pre-eminent since 1978, when offensive linemen were first permitted to extend their hands in pass protection.

In hands outside, the blocker’s first move is the outward thrust of the hands toward the outside of his opponent’s shoulders.

“The Packers throw their hands on the sides of everybody’s shoulders,” said an NFL offensive line coach. “It looks like they just clamp their hands on the outside. You’re not grabbing the jersey. It doesn’t look like it’s truly holding. They just get in front of you. They’re good at it.”

"One thing is near certain: Every head coach and offensive line coach in the league will be watching to see just what methods the Packers are employing to protect their quarterback so well now and for so many games. "

Looks like it was Campen. I assume that McCarthy and Philbin are well aware of the technique though. 

On 1/8/2020 at 9:44 PM, canadaluvsdallas said:

We are letting go of a very very good WR coach in Sanjay Lal after McCarthys request.

He developed Micheal Gallup and Amari Cooper with 1k yards each this past season. Any teams looking for WR coaches should be jumping to grab him.

depositphotos_11030710-stock-photo-offic