Cowboys Staff: OL J Philbin (+STC, OC, DL)

Matts4313

3 hours ago, JonStark said:

This one hurts. 

Why? What has Fassel done for our ST in the past 3 years other than the trick plays that have lost their luster?

Hes fine, not saying hes bad, but Hekker and Zuerlein are the talent on their own, hes not coaching those guys up from how good they were when they came into the league. And our return teams have been nothing to write home about.

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why? What has Fassel done for our ST in the past 3 years other than the trick plays that have lost their luster?

Hes fine, not saying hes bad, but Hekker and Zuerlein are the talent on their own, hes not coaching those guys up from how good they were when they came into the league. And our return teams have been nothing to write home about.

For me, it's more about keeping a sense of continuity throughout the team. We made the Superbowl two years ago and were a few close games away from making the playoffs this year, so I don't think we need to overhaul everything. 

Hekker and GZ are obviously talented enough by themselves but we've always had above average special teams with Bones, and I think rolling the dice on this one could backfire. 

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

You guys had 5 straight years of top 7 special teams units under him. 

Other teams would kill for that. The last time the Cowboys were top 10 in special teams was 1998.... 22 seasons ago. 

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

we've always had above average special teams with Bones, and I think rolling the dice on this one could backfire.

I think that is what is being overrated here. Sure weve never had Bad Special Teams under him. But we really dont stand out either if you look into the actual numbers.

Yes we have been Exciting (alot of that being from Hekker/Zuerlein) with Trick plays and stuff. But we havent ever really dominated with our Return teams, or our Coverage units, that has mostly been all on Hekker.

When McVay was hired, he wasnt kept for his ST acumen, sure he is a good ST Coordinator, but he was kept as the steady hand, the long standing member of the organization, and as the guy for McVay to lean on for that type of Organizational stuff.

Again, Fassel is fine. Probably even good, but he is being extremely overrated here

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

You guys had 5 straight years of top 7 special teams units under him. 

Other teams would kill for that. The last time the Cowboys were top 10 in special teams was 1998.... 22 seasons ago. 

and MOST of that was on the legs of Johnny Hekker and Greg Zuerlein.

And last time I checked, hes not taking those two guys with him

Edited by StLunatic88

31 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Sometimes people just need a new change of scenery.

26 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Personnel? Money? Fit? Jerruh?

Perhaps. It's obviously a great get for the Cowboys. It seemed like Fassel had a good thing going with a team on the rise in LA, so maybe it was a money thing.

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think that is what is being overrated here. Sure weve never had Bad Special Teams under him. But we really dont stand out either if you look into the actual numbers.

Yes we have been Exciting (alot of that being from Hekker/Zuerlein) with Trick plays and stuff. But we havent ever really dominated with our Return teams, or our Coverage units, that has mostly been all on Hekker.

When McVay was hired, he wasnt kept for his ST acumen, sure he is a good ST Coordinator, but he was kept as the steady hand, the long standing member of the organization, and as the guy for McVay to lean on for that type of Organizational stuff.

Again, Fassel is fine. Probably even good, but he is being extremely overrated here

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

and MOST of that was on the legs of Johnny Hekker and Greg Zuerlein.

And last time I checked, hes not taking those two guys with him

Explain how he regularly had top 5 units in his previous coaching spots then? Wasnt he #1 in the NFL with the Raiders? 

I dont remember Hekker and Zuerlein playing for the Raiders. 

*in before you state they also had a good kicker and punter

*in before I retort "Wow, so everywhere he stops a good kicker and punter appear. But no credit to him, huh?"

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

Perhaps. It's obviously a great get for the Cowboys. It seemed like Fassel had a good thing going with a team on the rise in LA, so maybe it was a money thing.

If this happened in Dallas, the narrative would be that McVay is scapegoating his coordinators for the team failures. 

:offense sucks:

Solution is to not retain your DC and ST coaches.