Is Nick Chubb the best runningback in the NFL?

Kiwibrown

Just now, Cheesehawk said:

I'm not ready to put Cook up there yet either. Dude has had a real difficult time avoiding injuries and staying on the field his entire career so far. He also hasnt averaged above 4 ypc since week 8.

That's my point for sure.

Just now, Cheesehawk said:

To his credit though, he is one of the more productive backs in the receiving game.. definitely more so than Chubb.

I'd say a few things here:

1. That's a fair point, albeit I'd also say that the Browns more or less decided to use Duke Johnson in that capacity in 2018 and Kareem Hunt in that capacity in 2019, but it's probably accurate.

2. Then I'd say pick someone like Alvin Kamara if you want to use the "receiving game" argument.

3. There's no question that Chubb is a better pure runner, even when Cook has been healthy. 5.1 YPC over his career blows him away, not to mention things like Yards After Contact.

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

And that's one of the big factors to me. You can't be a top tier runningback in todays game IMO without being a threat both in the passing game and running game. If a guy isn't a factor in the passing game then that's a big dox from me.

So after looking at your tiers that you listed, where do you rank/what tier would you place Aaron Jones? Because he was the best RB in the NFCN this season.

2 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

So after looking at your tiers that you listed, where do you rank/what tier would you place Aaron Jones? Because he was the best RB in the NFCN this season.

I actually was considering putting Aaron Jones alongside Nick Chubb and Derrick Henry, very very close in my mind.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

2. Then I'd say pick someone like Alvin Kamara if you want to use the "receiving game" argument.

Not a believer in Alvin Kamara....

I'm also bitter because he was a huge fantasy bust for me. Kamara needs to work his way back up in the rankings. Right now he's somewhere between 8-12.

CMC just had one of the most ridiculous seasons by a RB all-time, maintains great efficiency despite carrying the load on an often bad offense, and is undoubtedly the best dual threat RB in the game right now. 

I don’t know how anyone could convince themselves anyone is better currently.  

Nick Chubb in ‘18-‘19: 490 carries, 2490 rushing yards, 5.1 YPC, 16 rushing TDs, 427 rec yards, 2 rec touchdowns 

Christian McCaffrey in ‘18-‘19: 506 carries, 2485 rushing yards, 4.9 YPC, 22 rushing TDs, 223 receptions, 1872 rec yards, 10 rec TDs

How many guys coming close to 2,000/2,000 in 2 years?

Even factoring in for the games Chubb wasn’t used much in early in his rookie season doesn’t account for the 1,440 yards and 14 TDs difference, especially considering C-Mac only had 16 more carries and Chubb isn’t much of a receiving back. 

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's my point for sure.

I'd say a few things here:

1. That's a fair point, albeit I'd also say that the Browns more or less decided to use Duke Johnson in that capacity in 2018 and Kareem Hunt in that capacity in 2019, but it's probably accurate.

3. There's no question that Chubb is a better pure runner, even when Cook has been healthy. 5.1 YPC over his career blows him away, not to mention things like Yards After Contact.

1. 100%. And from what I have seen, Chubb is capable of handling the duties, Browns just seem to like to have a designated receiving back. Makes complete sense when you have to get a guy like Hunt touches as well.

2. Kamara being a top 3 receiving back doesnt vault him to the top of the rankings, hes not the top tier runner like some other comparable guys. CMC holds that title right now as the most complete all around back.

3. Agree.

32 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

1. 100%. And from what I have seen, Chubb is capable of handling the duties, Browns just seem to like to have a designated receiving back. Makes complete sense when you have to get a guy like Hunt touches as well.

2. Kamara being a top 3 receiving back doesnt vault him to the top of the rankings, hes not the top tier runner like some other comparable guys. CMC holds that title right now as the most complete all around back.

3. Agree.

This is absolutely right. Chubb is actually pretty good at receiving out of the backfield... he just doesn't get a ton of opportunities to do so. Before Hunt came back, Hilliard was usually the third down back and he was a bum. Not only that, but we were basically telling defenses that we were passing the ball when Hilliard came in. Just more coaching brilliance from Freddie Kitchens.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Because Chubb is basically a non factor in the pass game.

That's not due to him not being able to. More so that Freddie rarely used him in that way. Hopefully our next play caller will use Chubb more in the passing game, as he's perfectly capable of doing so. Not saying he's at Barkley or CMC's level in the receiving game, but he's plenty capable.

As a pure runner Chubb is easily better than Cook.

1 hour ago, Cheesehawk said:

No he wasn't. Dalvin Cook is far and away so much better than Jones.