How would you feel if Haskins isn’t the starter?

turtle28

Kevin Sheehan this morning had a good question for callers.

How would you feel in Haskins wasn't the week 1 starter?

Sheehan mentioned how Rivera doesn't think in terms of 4 or 5 year rebuilds, more like two or three year rebuilds.

Three QBs he mentioned were one, obviously Cam Newton but also Phillip Rivers or Teddy Bridgewater. Or, as he said we could draft a QB again - not likely but Rivera could fall in love with Herbert or Tua.

I'd be disappointed if Haskins isn’t our week one starter. I would rather stick with Haskins if not just for this year w/ Rivera & Turner so they can evaluate him for a year and bring in a vet back up type like a Keenum type but I do find it promising that Rivera is the one in control.

Edited by turtle28

I would agree with Rivera that this isn’t a 5 year rebuild. We are technically in year 3 of that rebuild.

We have plenty of talented young players with old guys and bad contracts on their way out. 

The QB is the big question and I just hope what Rivera is trying to do is gauge Haskins’ growth by making him earn his respect/the starting job as the book on Haskins is maturity.

From everything we’ve heard on Alex Smith’s injury, his career is most likely over. No chance Cam comes with Alex’s contract on the books.

• Like 2

For me I think Rivera intends to play Haskins. I just think he wants to see how Haskins can mature and just doesn’t want hand over the starting job to him. He wants him to work hard and earn that position. As I have said before that ‘selfie’ he took does not show a mature leader and I believe bothered RR. He wants Haskins to take Major steps to be that person RR is looking for to lead this team. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Haskins will never learn on the bench.  He needs to play.

100% agree think we saw that early this year.He seems like the type of person that learns hands on,and not so well watching someone else do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

And if he's NOT starting this year, then he isn't the guy and we should move on. 

This. If Haskins isn’t the starter this year then it’s time to move on. Benching him will stunt his growth so badly that it won’t even be worth messing with. 

• Like 1

Then we hired the wrong coach IMO. We have young bright assets and Haskins is one of those. It’s not like we’re talking about a Josh Rosen type who has progressed since his freshman year of college. We’re talking about a guy who clearly earned his teammates respect

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

For me I think Rivera intends to play Haskins. I just think he wants to see how Haskins can mature and just doesn’t want hand over the starting job to him. He wants him to work hard and earn that position. As I have said before that ‘selfie’ he took does not show a mature leader and I believe bothered RR. He wants Haskins to take Major steps to be that person RR is looking for to lead this team. 

RR even mentioned that selfie w/o mentioning it in an interview one time. He said when answering a Haskins question that I want him to not celebrate until the game is over.

Just to put this out there, I was thinking about this and what Rivera’s thinking could be. ‪Let me be clear, I don’t want Cam. I’d rather watch Haskins develop on this young team but I’m glad Rivera will make this decision. 

In 2018 Cam would’ve thrown for 3800 plus yds w/ 25 plus TDs & a 94 rtg if he hadn’t gotten hurt. It’s possible Rivera thinks we are TWill, a good draft, a few FAs & a good QB away from the playoffs.‬

So, I see this the same as if we still had Kirk and was paying him $34 million a year with this current team that we’d be a team competing for the playoffs or would've won the division this year.

A lot of people would look at our roster w/ Trent back and think if I could just get Bostic back or an equivalent slightly better MLB, an upgrade at FS, a TE and have a good draft that this roster is a playoff team.

I’d rather go the good back up/Keenum route or even bring back Colt as Haskins’ back up or someone equivalent or, just draft a mid round QB to be Haskins’ back up but I could see why Rivera would do this. I would hope he wouldn’t trade for Cam though, just sign him if the Panthers cut him.

Theres also the Phillip Rivers option as well for us or the Panthers w/ the same thought process. For the Panthers they would want to bring Rivers home to NorthCarolina where he went to college and they’d just cut Cam or trade him.