How would you feel if Haskins isn’t the starter?

turtle28

It’s pretty remarkable how much work this guy has put in to transform his body. He was noticeably overweight as a rookie, I thought. You could see him getting into better shape and moving better as the season went on, though, and based on what I’ve seen on social media, he’s been busting his tail to really take his physical condition to the next level. 

Doesn’t mean he’ll be a great quarterback, but it’s very promising to see that level of dedication and focus from the kid. If he attacks the playbook and the film with the same intensity, I think he’ll be in good shape. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He is better than Jake Fromm, though. 

Sure, it would be interesting to see what Fields would have done w/ less offensive weapons last year like Fromm had to work with. Yes, Ohio State had more offensive weapons  than Georgia last year. We’ll never know though bc Fields transferred.

Fields will be a top 5 draft pick, Fromm is likely a career back up, maybe a game manager starter at best in the league.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Sure, it would be interesting to see what Fields would have done w/ less offensive weapons last year like Fromm had to work with. Yes, Ohio State had more offensive weapons  than Georgia last year. We’ll never know though bc Fields transferred.

Fields will be a top 5 draft pick, Fromm is likely a career back up, maybe a game manager starter at best in the league.

Funny thing is, Fromm got worse as the season went on.  You would figure with new, inexperienced "weapons", that he would start slow but really pick things up in the middle and end of the season. 

Also, that just goes to wide receivers.  Despite the fact that he got a lot out of a transfer (Lawrence Cager) and a 5* recruit (Pickens.). Fromm still had one of the best running back stables in college football, a top 5 defensive unit and an elite offensive line and got worse as the season went on.  

Being a game manager is pretty generous to him at this point.  

13 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Funny thing is, Fromm got worse as the season went on.  You would figure with new, inexperienced "weapons", that he would start slow but really pick things up in the middle and end of the season. 

Also, that just goes to wide receivers.  Despite the fact that he got a lot out of a transfer (Lawrence Cager) and a 5* recruit (Pickens.). Fromm still had one of the best running back stables in college football, a top 5 defensive unit and an elite offensive line and got worse as the season went on.  

Being a game manager is pretty generous to him at this point.  

Didn’t the competition get harder for Georgia as the season went on? And didn’t Georgia’s top WR get hurt and Swift battled and ankle injury too, didn’t he?

I’ll say it again, Fromm is no superstar but at the same time you can’t help but see the receivers & TEs drop passes and not make plays over and over again when watching Georgia last year.

I get your dislike of Fromm but I would hope you could put that aside and realize the playmakers let him down last year bc they were either young and inexperienced, made mistakes or got injured, none of which was Fromm’s fault.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Didn’t the competition get better as the season went on? And didn’t Georgia’s top WR get hurt and Swift battled and ankle injury too, didn’t he?

I’ll say it again, Fromm is no super start but at the same time you can’t help but see the receivers & TEs drop passes and not make plays over and over again when watching Georgia last year.

I get your dislike of Fromm but I would hope you could put that aside and realize the playmakers let him down last year bc they were either young and inexperienced, made mistakes or for injured, none of which is Fromm’s fault.

Cager got hurt near the end of the season.  

Also, his final five games (not the bowl) had completion percentages under 50%.  That includes LSU and Auburn sure, but also included Missouri, TAMU and Georgia Tech.  He also did well against Notre Dame and Florida (arguably his best game) right before that stretch.  

Swift had the ankle injury during the LSU championship game.  Georgia also has 4* James Cook (Dalvin's brother) and 5* Zamir White, along with arguably the top line in the country for the rest of the season.

Fromm was awful, plain and simple.  

I had a dream last night that they traded Haskins for a 1st round pick. I can’t remember the team, but it wasn’t like an expected top 5-10 pick. Probably a pretty good team that needs a QB, so maybe the Pats (although I think they’re tanking) or the Steelers? Or the Cowboys, of course...

Anyway, in the dream, I was disappointed to learn about the trade. Should I have felt differently?

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I had a dream last night that they traded Haskins for a 1st round pick. I can’t remember the team, but it wasn’t like an expected top 5-10 pick. Probably a pretty good team that needs a QB, so maybe the Pats (although I think they’re tanking) or the Steelers? Or the Cowboys, of course...

Anyway, in the dream, I was disappointed to learn about the trade. Should I have felt differently?

Dream? Sounds like a nightmare! I’d be highly disappointed if we gave up on Haskins too soon. Trading him now would not be equivalent to the Shanahan’s deciding they didn’t want Campbell and trading him to the Raiders going into Campbell’s 6th year.

Edited by turtle28

On 1/8/2020 at 6:57 AM, turtle28 said:

Kevin Sheehan this morning had a good question for callers.

How would you feel in Haskins wasn't the week 1 starter?

Sheehan mentioned how Rivera doesn't think in terms of 4 or 5 year rebuilds, more like two or three year rebuilds.

Three QBs he mentioned were one, obviously Cam Newton but also Phillip Rivers or Teddy Bridgewater. Or, as he said we could draft a QB again - not likely but Rivera could fall in love with Herbert or Tua.

I'd be disappointed if Haskins isn’t our week one starter. I would rather stick with Haskins if not just for this year w/ Rivera & Turner so they can evaluate him for a year and bring in a vet back up type like a Keenum type but I do find it promising that Rivera is the one in control.

I say let the cards fall were they may. I'm taking a wait see attitude.