How would you feel if Haskins isn’t the starter?

turtle28

I mean, 39 out of 40 QBs for Simms lol. 39th? Good lord dude. You would think Haskins ran out on to the field with his helmet on backwards throwing the ball into the ground and drooling on himself with the way he’s been talked about. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, 39 out of 40 QBs for Simms lol. 39th? Good lord dude. You would think Haskins ran out on to the field with his helmet on backwards throwing the ball into the ground and drooling on himself with the way he’s been talked about. 

A Clue please -- to what you are referring ? I'm lost. Must be back in this thread somewhere I suppose .

15 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

A Clue please -- to what you are referring ? I'm lost. Must be back in this thread somewhere I suppose .

Took me a minute to figure it out, but evidently Chris Simms is doing a top 40 QB countdown on Twitter today. Our man landed at #39, down a spot from his lofty #38 ranking from last season. 

• Like 1

I suspect he’ll feel a little foolish with that ranking after the season. But I will say, I have a hard time formulating a very strong argument against someone ranking Haskins that low, other than “I believe in him,” which I do. 

His overall numbers from last season were basically the worst in the NFL. Perhaps a hair better than Duck Hodges and David Blough. We know that Gruden was never interested in giving him a chance, we know that he got unfairly thrown to the wolves twice as a grossly unprepared backup, we know that Callahan hamstrung him with the Ara Parseghian era offense, and we know that he ripped it up in his last 6 quarters — but are we really expecting many outsiders to parse the body of work for that sort of context? I guess when someone claims to be an NFL QB expert like Simms, they probably should, but for the most part I think people are mostly going to see 76.1 rating and 26.4 QBR. 

On top of that, he’s got a new scheme, a new HC, a rookie OC, and a very limited offseason to be coached up. He’s also got probably the worst set of offensive talent in the league around him. Frankly, it’s tough to find a lot of positive data around the kid — except for the fact that he himself has seemed remarkably dedicated to taking things to the next level, and bringing his teammates along with him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I suspect he’ll feel a little foolish with that ranking after the season. But I will say, I have a hard time formulating a very strong argument against someone ranking Haskins that low, other than “I believe in him,” which I do. 

His overall numbers from last season were basically the worst in the NFL. Perhaps a hair better than Duck Hodges and David Blough. We know that Gruden was never interested in giving him a chance, we know that he got unfairly thrown to the wolves twice as a grossly unprepared backup, we know that Callahan hamstrung him with the Ara Parseghian era offense, and we know that he ripped it up in his last 6 quarters — but are we really expecting many outsiders to parse the body of work for that sort of context? I guess when someone claims to be an NFL QB expert like Simms, they probably should, but for the most part I think people are mostly going to see 76.1 rating and 26.4 QBR. 

On top of that, he’s got a new scheme, a new HC, a rookie OC, and a very limited offseason to be coached up. He’s also got probably the worst set of offensive talent in the league around him. Frankly, it’s tough to find a lot of positive data around the kid — except for the fact that he himself has seemed remarkably dedicated to taking things to the next level, and bringing his teammates along with him.

He either makes a bold prediction where, if wrong, people will question his knowledge.  By ranking him that low and he excels, he can always quote "small sample size" in regards to measuring him up for this season.  Because let's be honest, as we like to point to him improving each game at the end of the year, he was not playing great units against the pass, and many were already gashed by injuries, so it's "glass half full" versus "glass half empty."  

I would probably put him 30-35 in all honesty, because as much as I like him, the physical tools and Zampese to get a lot out of him, he still hasn't proved it yet. 

• Like 1

I agree with what E & Nap said. It's hard to put him a lot higher on the list. I, like Nap would have him in the 30-35 range. One thing I wouldn't do is put rookies above Haskins - including Burrow - bc unlike Haskins, Burrow hasn't proven he can do anything in the league yet. So, it bothers me when people project Burrow for example to be better than Haskins this coming season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I agree with what E & Nap said. It's hard to put him a lot higher on the list. I, like Nap would have him in the 30-35 range. One thing I wouldn't do is put rookies above Haskins - including Burrow - bc unlike Haskins, Burrow hasn't proven he can do anything in the league yet. So, it bothers me when people project Burrow for example to be better than Haskins this coming season.

Also a correct take, especially as it relates to Burrow since he, you know, lost a job to Haskins already and decided to take his ball and transfer.  

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Imagine the day where we don't have some QB controversy for like 3 years...

And imagine our FO handles them properly on their contract so we’re just a thriving football team building with a QB 👀👀👀

17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Also a correct take, especially as it relates to Burrow since he, you know, lost a job to Haskins already and decided to take his ball and transfer.  

I also saw that Trubisky is ahead of Haskins and someone on Twitter said Keenum was too. I guess those are debatable, they’ve certainly shown more in their careers than Haskins, but if we’re projecting forward, I’d take Hankins’ future over both of theirs. 

48 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

And imagine our FO handles them properly on their contract so we’re just a thriving football team building with a QB 👀👀👀

Exactly what I was going to say. We had a good - great at times - QB whose just won a playoff game for Minnesota at New Orleans - something his detractors never said he would do - that the front office decided to not keep. A QB who had been putting up pro bowl numbers for 3 straight years even in 2017 when Bruce tried to undercut Kirk in 2017 by not re-signing Djax or Garçon. We had the guy, they don’t grow on trees.

I sure hope that Haskins can be as good as Kirk someday.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly what I was going to say. We had a good - great at times - QB whose just won a playoff game for Minnesota at New Orleans - something his detractors never said he would do - that the front office decided to not keep. A QB who had been putting up pro bowl numbers for 3 straight years even in 2017 when Bruce tried to undercut Kirk in 2017 by not re-signing Djax or Garçon. We had the guy, they don’t grow on trees.

My point was that it was still marred with controversy. Franchised. And then again. And then left to walk. 

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

My point was that it was still marred with controversy. Franchised. And then again. And then left to walk. 

True, but only bc our Dan & Bruce are idiots. Most teams wouldn’t have let Kirk leave.

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I know this is not about Pete and it's about Dwayne but, I am not a fan on Pete. With his tweet he’s suggesting w/o saying it that the Redskins should sign AB. Well, either that or he’s just looking for attention $. A few years ago when he first started on NBCSportsWashington he asked on twitter did people know that Kerrigan was nearly deaf in his ear and that’s why he plays on the left side?

I commented on his tweet and said really dude?

This has been know since Kerrigan was drafted in 2011 and a lot of people have written articles and blogs about it.

He just comes off as a guy who’s goofy guy w/ little actual knowledge and little common sense. I still can’t get over that they got rid of Chick Hernández and turned what was once a professional sports reporting channel - where they wore suits & ties or at least jackets & button down shirts - into what at times seems like a joke today w/ polos & some even wearing shirts that aren’t polos and what looks like sweats. The owners or producers- whoever - have ruined the channel for me.