How would you feel if Haskins isn’t the starter?

turtle28

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

While I think some of what Urban said has merit, Brady is all over social media now.

He's also 43 and the greatest QB of all time. He's accomplished all there is to accomplish, including marrying a hot rich wife. 

Edited by Skinsin2013
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

He's also 43 and the greatest QB of all time. He's accomplished all there is to accomplish, including marrying a hit rich wife. 

That's why I really don't have a problem with Meyer's comment. I understand some coaches will have a problem with players being on Social Media, but I prefer they understand this new error of players. Especially if they aren't doing anything demeaning or negative. Haskins hasn't done that for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think players in general should avoid social media, but I don't think Haskins comes close to abusing it, except commenting on players who aren't yet Redskins.  

True. His worst offenses are those and his teenage angst ones.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think players in general should avoid social media, but I don't think Haskins comes close to abusing it, except commenting on players who aren't yet Redskins.  

I think fans are overly sensitive to it after the RG3 debacle. Not to mention, 106.7 goes out of their way to highlight it any chance they get. I’m not a fan of him recruiting players via social media but the other stuff he posts just seems like the random stuff people his age post. I really don’t understand why so many people have issues with it? It’s like him posting the clip of celebrating with the fans and then Sheehan and Loverro cry about it because it happened during the Lions game. I’m sure the thought never crossed his mind. He just wanted to post a clip celebrating with the fans. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think fans are overly sensitive to it after the RG3 debacle. Not to mention, 106.7 goes out of their way to highlight it any chance they get. I’m not a fan of him recruiting players via social media but the other stuff he posts just seems like the random stuff people his age post. I really don’t understand why so many people have issues with it? It’s like him posting the clip of celebrating with the fans and then Sheehan and Loverro cry about it because it happened during the Lions game. I’m sure the thought never crossed his mind. He just wanted to post a clip celebrating with the fans. 

I'll be honest, I don't listen to any of the radio (except for 980 on game days) and I don't follow most of the writers except the ones who are providing news for the most part.  Couldn't tell you when the last time I read a Loverro article.  So I don't really equate this with RGIII at all.  

Though I completely understand your point as a large portion of the fan base probably does those things and listens to those people.  

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'll be honest, I don't listen to any of the radio (except for 980 on game days) and I don't follow most of the writers except the ones who are providing news for the most part.  Couldn't tell you when the last time I read a Loverro article.  So I don't really equate this with RGIII at all.  

Though I completely understand your point as a large portion of the fan base probably does those things and listens to those people.  

I listen to the Sheehan podcast and sometimes JP Finlays podcast. I only see the stuff tweeted due to the hogshaven twitter page on their website. That’s the only way I follow twitter anymore. I don’t listen to the radio at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The only people who complain are old, that tells you all you need to know.

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Now.  Not before.  Brady has established himself already as a player and a person.  

When Brady was Haskins’ age, social media didn’t exist. Same with me. That’s why I find it so foolish when old guys criticize young people for how they act on social media. We all did a lot of dumb stuff in our late teens and most of our 20s but I know I didn’t have to worry about that being on social media bc it didn’t exist.

A lot of people always use the example of Riggins, could you imagine him being in his 20s & being an athlete today?

My word! It’d be awful!

Or Dexter Manley?

He’d have someone taping him when he was at parties and putting him up on social media weekly while he was doing lines! He would have been suspended constantly.

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

When Brady was Haskins’ age, social media didn’t exist. Same with me. That’s why I find it so foolish when old guys criticize young people for how they act on social media. We all did a lot of dumb stuff in our late teens and most of our 20s but I know I didn’t have to worry about that being on social media bc it didn’t exist.

A lot of people always use the example of Riggins, could you imagine him being in his 20s & being an athlete today?

My word! It’d be awful!

Or Dexter Manley?

He’d have someone taping him when he was at parties and putting him up on social media weekly while he was doing lines! He would have been suspended constantly.

So you are defending Haskins by suggesting other players from history would be worse social media participants?

For me, this is real simple.  Haskins is doing himself no good by being so active on social media.  The self promotion is not a good look.  Nor is it a good look when he whines when someone posts something negative.  

It would be one thing if he only posted positive things about other people.  But he is constantly propping himself up or defending himself.  It is a me move and until he proves he is a legit starting NFL qb, I don't think the me attitude is a good thing.  It isn't the end of the world and I am still a fan, but I am certainly not going to pat him on the back for this.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

So you are defending Haskins by suggesting other players from history would be worse social media participants?

For me, this is real simple.  Haskins is doing himself no good by being so active on social media.  The self promotion is not a good look.  Nor is it a good look when he whines when someone posts something negative.  

It would be one thing if he only posted positive things about other people.  But he is constantly propping himself up or defending himself.  It is a me move and until he proves he is a legit starting NFL qb, I don't think the me attitude is a good thing.  It isn't the end of the world and I am still a fan, but I am certainly not going to pat him on the back for this.  

That's YOUR OPINION. Haskins being on Social Media to me is just like Mayfield being in commercials and calling out his former coach in Hue Jackson when he hasn't Accomplished any SuperBowls or Playoff wins in the NFL. 

This jusy goes back to how Rivera feels about Haskins behavior. Once again he's done nothing to harm the team or put a target on himself or any of his teammates back. This is 2020 and in 2020 Social Media is a thing MANY Athletes use. Coaches will just have to adjust to it. Espeically once again if the player is doing their part off and on the field. 

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

That's YOUR OPINION. Haskins being on Social Media to me is just like Mayfield being in commercials and calling out his former coach in Hue Jackson when he hasn't Accomplished any SuperBowls or Playoff wins in the NFL. 

This jusy goes back to how Rivera feels about Haskins behavior. Once again he's done nothing to harm the team or put a target on himself or any of his teammates back. This is 2020 and in 2020 Social Media is a thing MANY Athletes use. Coaches will just have to adjust to it. Espeically once again if the player is doing their part off and on the field. 

Of course it is my opinion.  We are on a sports forum.  Again, it comes down to the simple question, does this behavior benefit him?  And I don't see how the answer is yes.  

Haskins puts himself out there for this level of scrutiny.  He has his own brand and clothing, etc.  So if he is going to front himself as a marketing tool then he is setting himself up for blow back if he doesn't play it right.  Social media for marketing athletes is easy.  There are basically 3 rules to play by :  1)Only say positive things 2)Don't prop yourself up, because if you deserve it other people will do it for you.  3)Don't respond to negativity

To be clear I am a haskins fan and I want him to be the unquestioned starter and get all the support of the team including all the reps so he has a chance to prove on the field that he is the real deal.  

And by the way, I would never compare Haskins to Mr. mouth diarrhea Mayfield.  That does Haskins a disservice, haskins is miles away from Mayfield in that regard :)

• Like 1