How would you feel if Haskins isn’t the starter?

turtle28

47 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

That's the problem! 

Why? We joke around in here all the time. It shouldn’t be taken seriously and honestly who cares if Parrothead feels that way, whether he does or doesn’t has no real bearing on what Haskins ends up developing into. I mean PH has already been proven wrong in the way that he thought Haskins would balloon up and be a fat sob like his former LSU QB Jamarcus Russell, so he’s already 0-1 on that prediction bc Haskins dropped around 20 pounds this offseason.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Why? We joke around in here all the time. It shouldn’t be taken seriously and honestly who cares if Parrothead feels that way, whether he does or doesn’t has no real bearing on what Haskins ends up developing into. I mean PH has already been proven wrong in the way that he thought Haskins would balloon up and be a fat sob like his former LSU QB Jamarcus Russell, so he’s already 0-1 on that prediction bc Haskins dropped around 20 pounds this offseason.

That's your opinion. I didn't find the jk funny. It's that simple for me. 

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No. I was comparing him to his college days. Where he was keeping in shape and watching what he said just for scouts sake. And he fooled them all to get picked 1st. When if those scouts walked around campus and just asked random people. He would have slid back.... Much like Haskins did in fact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

No. I was comparing him to his college days. Where he was keeping in shape and watching what he said just for scouts sake. And he fooled them all to get picked 1st. When if those scouts walked around campus and just asked random people. He would have slid back.... Much like Haskins did in fact.

Ohh... ok. I got ya. Yeah, I remember that draft with Russell and Quinn. Other than the big arm, I was not sold on Jamarcus Russell even as a prospect. I thought Quinn was the better all-around prospect but then of course he went to the Browns where good QB prospects go to die. Haha 😂   

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ohh... ok. I got ya. Yeah, I remember that draft with Russell and Quinn. Other than the big arm, I was not sold on Jamarcus Russell even as a prospect. I thought Quinn was the better all-around prospect but then of course he went to the Browns where good QB prospects go to die. Haha 😂   

Youre OSU. Any theory out of OSU as to why Haskins slid? Was there immaturity concerns floating around like for Jamarcus, Manzel and Winston. Ive never heard such. But with something random popping up every so often pointing it could be in that direction. Figured Id ask.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Youre OSU. Any theory out of OSU as to why Haskins slid? Was there immaturity concerns floating around like for Jamarcus, Manzel and Winston. Ive never heard such. But with something random popping up every so often pointing it could be in that direction. Figured Id ask.

Haskins slid because people were worried about him only being a one year starter and he had some accuracy issues, particularly downfield. But, I always saw those as things that he would improve upon once he got to the pros and played more games.

We did see his accuracy issues some last year though early on where he had guys wide open - by NFL standards - that he should’ve hit for big gains or even TDs, but he just missed them high because his footwork was bad.

I specifically remember him having those issues in his first action at the Giants game, in the Minny game where he overthrew Terry over the middle and in the Detroit game where he missed Terry I think twice and someone else on what should’ve been big plays. But, as we all know his last 3 starts he got better, so it was clear it was something he could improve upon.

Honestly, I was surprised he didn’t return for his junior year at Ohio State. I thought he would have been better off staying for a second year as a starter but, at the same time I’m glad we have him now.

Edited by turtle28

50 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Haskins slid because people were worried about him only being a one year starter and he had some accuracy issues, particularly downfield. But, I always saw those as things that he would improve upon once he got to the pros and played more games.

Bit to generic a reason for me. I think more is behind it. Mitch, Cam, Kyler were taken WAY before Haskins after 1 year of starting. Teams in need of qbs, take qbs. Teams like the Bengals could sit him for a while.

He and Mitch are fairly identical in the knock on them with accuracy and being a 1 year starter. But Mitch got traded up for. Haskins sat, and even when passing 10 everyone knew the Redskins would be the ones to get him. Nobody tried jumping ahead for a qb or anything. He just sat. Just seems more behind it besides whats there at face value to me. Could be way he interviewed or whatever. But no team wanted him but this one. And even then, not all the FO seemed to be on board with it.

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I went to college 2 years with Jamarcus. He was a big, fit dude in school. When I see stuff slip from Haskins like the selfie thing, then magically flips to more serious responses. Where every now and then something stupid slips by. To me, thats Jamarcus to a tee. Intentionally covering a heavy immaturity. Thats exactly how he was when keeping it together to get that big NFL contract.

Valid points.  The maturity does concern me, but I saw enough with his workouts and getting in shape over the summer that I can give him the benefit of the doubt to start out. 

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Walter Football- https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019dhaskins.php#:~:text=There is no doubt that,can really spin the football.

The Draft Network- https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/dwayne-haskins

ESPN Insider- http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/103560

Insider rated Intangibles as exception, and mental makeup above average.  

I went through three pages of articles, and didnt find anything about him having a huge lack of maturity in college.  Certainly not a head case like Eason was for us at Georgia.  

10 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Bit to generic a reason for me. I think more is behind it. Mitch, Cam, Kyler were taken WAY before Haskins after 1 year of starting. Teams in need of qbs, take qbs. Teams like the Bengals could sit him for a while.

He and Mitch are fairly identical in the knock on them with accuracy and being a 1 year starter. But Mitch got traded up for. Haskins sat, and even when passing 10 everyone knew the Redskins would be the ones to get him. Nobody tried jumping ahead for a qb or anything. He just sat. Just seems more behind it besides whats there at face value to me. Could be way he interviewed or whatever. But no team wanted him but this one. And even then, not all the FO seemed to be on board with it.

Well I don’t really know outside of that. He’s not a bad person, he comes off as confident but’s not arrogant, he’s smart and while he was a little overweight, it’s not like he was a sloppy 30 pounds overweight during the draft process. Some may have seen him as immature, which I think he showed some of that last year but he seemed to grow up as the season went on. I mean, let’s remember Aaron Rodgers fell to 25 for reasons I’ll never understand or agree with, he was a better prospect than Alex Smith. So, it happens.