Offseason To-Do List: Coaching Staff

Beck Bristow

8 hours ago, theJ said:

You think a team is going to A) fire their coach in hopes Bill is interested or B) talk to Bill when they have a HC already on staff? You want to try again? He'd be waiting until next year. 

Lots of teams would dump their HC in a heartbeat if they could replace him with Belichick. They'd talk to Bill first and once he agreed, they'd pay their current guy's buyout.

7 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Not to pile on, but three wins is the stipulation you need in order to hire a potential Taylor replacement?  So you would say Kitchens is a clear upgrade from taylor?  I posted this months back, but Jimmy Johnson (1989), Bill Walsh (1979) and Chuck Noll  (1969) all started their careers with one win. So using that logic, all three of them should have been fired.?  Never mind that we have known all along that Mike Brown is the biggest obstacle to team success.  Never mind that this team was turning over the roster, yet the players still play hard for him and several have been vocally supportive of him.  This over-reactive stance is exactly how you turn a team into the Cleveland Browns.  Because every time you fire them, you are back to square one.  Every single time. 

So you didn't like the record?  Me either, and I'm a paying customer.  You didn't like the Finley choice?  Okay, but now a guy is going to be fired over a failed rookie QB choice picked with a fourth and sixth rounder?  I honestly couldn't fathom working with someone with such little patience in my field of occupation.  I get why you feel that way, and that is your right.  Most on here just aren't as rash.  Cincy Jungle has quite a few people that feel that way, tho.  So I get it.

Taylor wasn't qualified when he was hired. Knowing Sean McVey, last year's flavor of the year, doesn't make someone qualified. When given the chance, he showed he wasn't up to the job. **** LeBeau is a much better coach than Taylor and he got fired for going 2-14. If we fired Taylor and replaced him with Gregg Williams or Jim Caldwell, we'd be instantly upgraded.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Ok, what system Seriously, what is Taylor's system?

Looked to be a variation of west coast, lots of player movement presnap. Defensively looked to be a lot of multiple fronts. I saw progress as the season went on. Injuries and lack of talent hurt the progression. 

20 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Looked to be a variation of west coast, lots of player movement presnap. Defensively looked to be a lot of multiple fronts. I saw progress as the season went on. Injuries and lack of talent hurt the progression. 

I don't think Taylor had much to do with the defense. I agree it was Taylor, not Callahan, running the offense. But I didn't see a system. We passed like crazy the first half of the year and couldn't run. Then after the O-line switched tactics, we ran the ball better. 

2 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

I wouldn’t mind trying to find a spot for Joe Brady on the staff somewhere. The growth Burrow had under him in 1 year was remarkable. 

Co-sign this. If we're taking Burrow we should do everything we can to make him successful as a rookie. Joe Brady made 410K last year at LSU. They have just agreed to a 3 year deal at about 1 mil per year with outs for an NFL or college head coaching job. Callahan doesn't seem to do much and Taylor shouldn't be calling plays so hiring Brady as OC for 2 mil would make sense. He has NFL experience with the Saints and worked wonders for LSU. 

Hiring better coaches is a place where the Bengals could get a competitive advantage for not much money. 

Joe Brady just re-upped with LSU.  A sure sign he's not going anywhere this year.

16 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think Taylor had much to do with the defense. I agree it was Taylor, not Callahan, running the offense. But I didn't see a system. We passed like crazy the first half of the year and couldn't run. Then after the O-line switched tactics, we ran the ball better. 

It's like any team where the HC calls the plays: the HC and OC put the gameplan together together.  The OC is mostly responsible for implementation during the week, since the HC has other responsibilities during practice.  Then Taylor calls plays during the games while Callahan observes and weighs in on adjustments between drives.

If they were to bring Brady in (0% chance that happens this year), it would be as a special assistant of some sort.  Passing game quality coordinator or something like that.

• Like 1

Brady's extension has outs for college head jobs or NFL assistant jobs. If we want him, it's just a matter of paying more than 1 mil. Most NFL co-ordinators make that much. Maybe not those with the Bengals but hiring better coaches is something the Bengals should be doing anyway.

4 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Brady's extension has outs for college head jobs or NFL assistant jobs. If we want him, it's just a matter of paying more than 1 mil. Most NFL co-ordinators make that much. Maybe not those with the Bengals but hiring better coaches is something the Bengals should be doing anyway.

It does, and if LSU's offense is good again next year you might see him leave.

But he listened to some offers from NFL teams this year, and decided to re-up with LSU.  He's going to be coaching for LSU in 2020.  We'll see what happens in 2021.  That's pretty much the end of the story.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I would assume that is after year one or year two.  Not now, since the ink is still drying, unless there's a clause that the NFL team has to pay LSU to buy him out.

• Like 1

We could still sign Brady if we wanted him.

Lots of top college assistants make 1 mil per year or more. There's no reason an NFL team can't pay more than a top college though sometimes they don't. Taylor probably makes less than quite a few college head coaches. 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:13 AM, theJ said:

It does, and if LSU's offense is good again next year you might see him leave.

But he listened to some offers from NFL teams this year, and decided to re-up with LSU.  He's going to be coaching for LSU in 2020.  We'll see what happens in 2021.  That's pretty much the end of the story.

Well, Schefty is reporting Brady is leaving LSU for the Panthers... guess he isn’t waiting another year. 

• Like 1