Offseason To-Do List: Coaching Staff

Beck Bristow

1 minute ago, Beck Bristow said:

LSU had more above average NFL quality starters on their offense than Cincinnati did.

The comment was totally tongue in cheek.

I was rampaging with my passive aggressive posts for a few minutes there.  Apologies to everyone.

3 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

I’m just looking to give Burrow as much stability as we can. He is going to be in his 3rd offense now in 3 years. Who knows what happens. If we struggle on offense for some reason and we bring in another OC next year, you are looking at 4 in 4 years. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. Brady and Burrow worked magic this past year together. Would have loved to see him continue to grow under him. I don’t think it’s the end of the world we didn’t get him, just a missed opportunity for some instant stability for the kid. 

He actually just was in his third offense in 3 years and looked pretty good.  There was nothing ground breaking about it. It really was the guy running the show. 

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Burrow improved because he was put in a system that fit his strengths.  Do you really think that Brady is the only coach out there capable of designing asn offense based on the QBs abilities?

Not the only one, but he's one we know works well with Burrow. It's important for the Bengals to maximize Burrow's chances of success as a rookie. I expect him to start from day 1 rather than sitting behind Dalton or some other vet. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

The funny thing is, Brady is very much a one year wonder.  The exact same kind of hire that the Bengals made last year, that Sparky doesn't like now.

Heck, he was only the Passing Game Coordinator for LSU.  That's reactionary BS to kick out Callahan and Taylor after one year of injury riddled offense for a guy who also has no experience calling plays and running an offense.

Not saying it would have been bad to bring him on, but man that's about as reactionary and hypocritical of a suggested hire as i've heard this offseason.

EDIT: come to think of it, Brady's resume is basically identical to Taylor's at this time last year (one year wonder as a passing game coordinator).  This post will probably go ignored, or there will be some weird justification as to why Brady is 10x the coach Callahan is, but it just doesn't make logical sense.

It's not BS. They were given a chance and failed hard. I was glad when the team moved on from Marvin and had no objection to Taylor's hiring. I object to him staying around after this fiasco of a season. 

Regarding Brady, he spent 2 years with the Saints before going to LSU. Given his impact at LSU, he seems to have learned a lot from Sean Payton. Taylor doesn't seem to have learned a lot from Sean McVey. 

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Regarding Brady, he spent 2 years with the Saints before going to LSU. Given his impact at LSU, he seems to have learned a lot from Sean Payton. Taylor doesn't seem to have learned a lot from Sean McVey. 

Apropos of nothing; you're not employed in a line of work based on STEM, are you?

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'm a financial analyst so I use spreadsheets a lot but am not a scientist, engineer, or mathematician. 

It was a leading question.  "Isolating the variables" is a common theme in STEM fields (and in the financial industry too).  Until you can boil the root cause down to one thing, you can't take one generic piece of evidence (like a W/L record) and make a big declaration about one of the variables that went into.  The point being there are tons of variables that go into how many wins a team gets.  You can't attribute all of a teams success, or it's failures, on one guy.  

Just because LSU had a good season doesn't mean Brady is a GOAT coach.  We think he is based on one season at LSU.  We don't know what he learned or contributed to the Saints success previously.

Just because the Bengals went 2-14 doesn't mean Taylor is a bad coach.  We think he contributed to some of the success of the Rams previously.  We know other NFL guys have praised the guy.  He also had one bad season as HC of the Bengals.

And so saying the Bengals are going to be bad in 2020 because they kept with Taylor and didn't hire Brady ignores the other 999 variables that will into deciding whether this upcoming season is a success or failure.

Was not firing the guy a mistake?  Maybe, we'll find out.  Do we know?  No, we do not.  Would it have been rash?  Yes, in any scenario it's rash and exactly what Cleveland would have done.  Do we want to be Cleveland?  No, definitely not.

• Like 4

Well, we do know Taylor is a bad coach. The sample isn't large but it's consistent. There's no actual evidence that Taylor is a good head coach at any level. He was QB coach of a team that went to the Super bowl but didn't design the offense or call plays. Lots of other coaches could say the same thing. If the Bengals had fired Taylor, do you think any team would offer him an OC job? I don't. He'd have to rebuild his credibility with good performance at a lower level. 

Brady is young but seems to be successful. He hasn't flopped yet anywhere, unlike Taylor. Marvin turned LeBeau's 2-14 into 8-8 his first year. Anyone want to bet the Bengals win 8 or more games in 2020? 

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Well, we do know Taylor is a bad coach. The sample isn't large but it's consistent. There's no actual evidence that Taylor is a good head coach at any level. He was QB coach of a team that went to the Super bowl but didn't design the offense or call plays. Lots of other coaches could say the same thing. If the Bengals had fired Taylor, do you think any team would offer him an OC job? I don't. He'd have to rebuild his credibility with good performance at a lower level. 

Brady is young but seems to be successful. He hasn't flopped yet anywhere, unlike Taylor. Marvin turned LeBeau's 2-14 into 8-8 his first year. Anyone want to bet the Bengals win 8 or more games in 2020? 

Taylor was the passing game quality control guy or coordinator or something like that, IIRC.  He wasn't just the QB coach.  The Rams had a lot of success while he was there.  That doesn't count for anything in your eyes?

EDIT: that was Shane Waldron.  Got my guys mixed up.  The point stands, to a lesser degree.  His work with Goff doesn't count for anything?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Taylor was the passing game quality control guy or coordinator or something like that, IIRC.  He wasn't just the QB coach.  The Rams had a lot of success while he was there.  That doesn't count for anything in your eyes?

EDIT: that was Shane Waldron.  Got my guys mixed up.  The point stands, to a lesser degree.  His work with Goff doesn't count for anything?

Zac Taylor arrived with McVay in 2017, the Rams have a great season. Taylor leaves in 2018, the Rams offense struggles and they regress. Therefore, Taylor is the reason the Rams were good.

Am I doing this correctly?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...