Offseason To-Do List: Coaching Staff

Beck Bristow

9 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

Alex Van Pelt leaving as QB coach to be Browns OC. Who should we get to be Burrow’s guiding light in the NFL?

You'd think he'd be excited to work with Joe Burrow, but I can't really blame him for taking a promotion. 

I wonder: A.) Why we didn't block him, B.) If he's calling the plays in Cleveland with Stefanski, C.) If offering him a raise of some sort could have kept him in the building.

Van Pelt has a good reputation, but how much of that is built on working with Aaron Rodgers?  Could be Aaron Rodgers more than anything.  Last year under Van Pelt Dalton had his worst year as a pro, and it's not like Finley did much.  I see this as an opportunity to bring in someone who has worked with Burrow before.  It won't be Joe Brady obviously, but he's not the only guy to work with Burrow.  It will probably just be the assistant QB coach being promoted, because this is what the Bengals do, but maybe i'll be surprised.

53 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

It is, and I'm curious as to why Brown let him leave.  You can block anything but head Coach.  Too many voices in the room?  

They haven't really blocked a lot of these moves in the past.

And in any case, this was probably more of Taylor's call than anything.  And McVay was always one to let his guys leave.  That was just his personality and philosophy.  He didn't like to keep guys against their will, or prevent them from getting a better opportunity.  You have to wonder how much of that Taylor latched onto.

57 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Van Pelt has a good reputation, but how much of that is built on working with Aaron Rodgers?  Could be Aaron Rodgers more than anything.  Last year under Van Pelt Dalton had his worst year as a pro, and it's not like Finley did much.  I see this as an opportunity to bring in someone who has worked with Burrow before.  It won't be Joe Brady obviously, but he's not the only guy to work with Burrow.  It will probably just be the assistant QB coach being promoted, because this is what the Bengals do, but maybe i'll be surprised.

Dalton noticeably got better when Van Pelt first came aboard . It was the year he would actually try to extend plays and push the ball downfield off-script.

Last year was a down year for everybody. I don't think you can blame that on any specific coach considering the circumstances. Also, no QB coach is going to save Finley with that lack of arm talent. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

And in any case, this was probably more of Taylor's call than anything.  And McVay was always one to let his guys leave.  That was just his personality and philosophy.  He didn't like to keep guys against their will, or prevent them from getting a better opportunity.  You have to wonder how much of that Taylor latched onto.

The only time they did was blocking Vance Joseph.  But this is Cleveland, and we know how Mike hates them.

The other thing is that all three guys who have left this year were Marvin regime hold-overs.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

Sounds like they felt that pitcher was ready and that's why they didn't block the interview.  They could  have also wanted a qb coach that would be here a few years, and know that van Pelt might be a bigger target next year.  It's also just bad business to block guys from promotion,  especially after being here a few years. I liked van Pelt,  thought he did well in year one. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

While he had a rough first year as DC, I'm thrilled to hear Lou Anarumo state exactly what I've been:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2020/2/28/21156936/bengals-defensive-coordinator-lou-anarumo-darius-philips-geno-atkins

Give Geno sell snaps, and play Darius Philips more...

I keep getting the impression we’re going to upgrade the DT spot. We’ve met with few DTs at the combine already. 

Blacklock and Gallimore might be in the cards at 33.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I keep getting the impression we’re going to upgrade the DT spot. We’ve met with few DTs at the combine already. 

It'd be an immediate upgrade over Hubbard as the DT next to Geno on passing downs, and he'd get to groom under Geno for a couple years before taking the full time spot.  It definitely fits if that is where the talent is at when picking at 33.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

DT is a sneaky need. We have  several "good" players,  but Geno is the only difference maker.