2020 Cowboys Free Agency

WizardHawk

I’m optimistic about getting a deal done with Dak if and when a new CBA is in place. After that I would non-exclusive tag Cooper and let Jones head to FA if a deal can’t get done. Jones could very well net us a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2021. If Cooper signs an offer sheet this offseason and we don’t like it, collect the picks and restock some talent. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Precisely why we can't let any of our good players walk. If that's all we can muster in FA over four plus years, then it is imperative that we sign our own. We should have the money and we do. We must also continue to draft well.

And that’s a perfectly acceptable strategy. You guys know that I’m generally not a big proponent of heavy spending in free agency because it rarely works out. 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

I’m optimistic about getting a deal done with Dak if and when a new CBA is in place. After that I would non-exclusive tag Cooper and let Jones head to FA if a deal can’t get done. Jones could very well net us a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2021. If Cooper signs an offer sheet this offseason and we don’t like it, collect the picks and restock some talent. 

Time is not on the Jones’ side with that method. If the CBA talks drag out, then the league year is impacted and the timeline to designate the tag either gets pushed back (again) or holds and forces teams to take bad contracts. 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Why so down on Jones?  Highly unlikely any 3rd round potential comp pick is going to add the same amount of value as a top ~10ish CB. 

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

And that’s a perfectly acceptable strategy. You guys know that I’m generally not a big proponent of heavy spending in free agency because it rarely works out. 

Our drafting has been a bit off lately so this strategy also seems like a great way to just end up back in a really bad position (albeit with a better cap situation).

49 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I think this list is a bit flawed since much of these years we were trying to fix our cap and were trying to sign our own big name free agents.

I don't think Dallas has had cap issues for the better part of a decade. I think it simply boils down to the fact they aren't going to spend big in FA outside of in-house guys. Which I don't necessarily have an issue with, but there is a happy-medium point to all this as well.  Dallas has gone too far the other way, after years of willingness to spend big. 

What Dallas has done is hard to figure out tbh.....they jump the gun on Crawford (never been the #1DL), Zeke (a RB of all things), and Jaylon (a mixed bag)....but no head way at all with Cooper (your #1WR, who cost you a 1st rder after you dumped your #1WR),  Byron Jones (your #1CB and top 10ish in league), isn't even in the picture for a new deal (apparently) and your franchise QB hasn't been negotiated with since September.  I mean what in the literal eff' is that all about? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't think Dallas has had cap issues for the better part of a decade. I think it simply boils down to the fact they aren't going to spend big in FA outside of in-house guys. Which I don't necessarily have an issue with, but there is a happy-medium point to all this as well.  Dallas has gone too far the other way, after years of willingness to spend big. 

What Dallas has done is hard to figure out tbh.....they jump the gun on Crawford (never been the #1DL), Zeke (a RB of all things), and Jaylon (a mixed bag)....but no head way at all with Cooper (your #1WR, who cost you a 1st rder after you dumped your #1WR),  Byron Jones (your #1CB and top 10ish in league), isn't even in the picture for a new deal (apparently) and your franchise QB hasn't been negotiated with since September.  I mean what in the literal eff' is that all about? 

i think we can all agree we had several teams that were capable of winning a SB talent wise the last couple years. Namely 2014.

You can't have a SB year every year, there are talent acquisition years in between. It all came down to Garrett and coaching dropping the ball.

We had good teams, just no good coaching to help them.

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Why so down on Jones?  Highly unlikely any 3rd round potential comp pick is going to add the same amount of value as a top ~10ish CB. 

Our drafting has been a bit off lately so this strategy also seems like a great way to just end up back in a really bad position (albeit with a better cap situation).

It’s not that I’m down on Jones, we can only have so many top tier contracts. Tank and Dak and our Oline contracts tie up a ton of money and cap space. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Time is not on the Jones’ side with that method. If the CBA talks drag out, then the league year is impacted and the timeline to designate the tag either gets pushed back (again) or holds and forces teams to take bad contracts. 

Everything I’m hearing is the CBA will most likely pass with the Rank and File. A lot of Middle tier and bottom tier players are gonna get a big boost from this deal, reason why so many top tier players are against it

7 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Everything I’m hearing is the CBA will most likely pass with the Rank and File. A lot of Middle tier and bottom tier players are gonna get a big boost from this deal, reason why so many top tier players are against it

It’s hard to say. Every negotiation is different, but there’s always one rule to a negotiation which should never be broken: ALWAYS reject the opening offer, no matter how good it is.

Maybe Jones doesn't want to come back? *shrug*

I'm just tired of hearing the front office spout that the cap is preventing them from getting a deal done with him. They can extend Dak, Cooper, Jones and still have money leftover to bring in guys via free agency (and I don't mean cheap depth). This is really going to get frustrating if they spend their 1st on a CB. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

Maybe Jones doesn't want to come back? *shrug*

I'm just tired of hearing the front office spout that the cap is preventing them from getting a deal done with him. They can extend Dak, Cooper, Jones and still have money leftover to bring in guys via free agency (and I don't mean cheap depth). This is really going to get frustrating if they spend their 1st on a CB. 

Yea it makes no sense to do that when you have the ability to resign a top CB. And they keep saying they are in a win now position when reality is this is a rebuilding position to take. 

10 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea it makes no sense to do that when you have the ability to resign a top CB. And they keep saying they are in a win now position when reality is this is a rebuilding position to take. 

It just doesn't make sense unless a) they're being cheap or b) Jones just wants to test the market. 

The cap is supposed to jump by $40MM between 2020 and 2021. There is absolutely zero reason they can't afford to pay him.

52 minutes ago, D82 said:

It just doesn't make sense unless a) they're being cheap or b) Jones just wants to test the market. 

The cap is supposed to jump by $40MM between 2020 and 2021. There is absolutely zero reason they can't afford to pay him.

Unless Dak is getting a huge huge mega deal and taking up so much of the CAP space