2020 Cowboys Free Agency

WizardHawk

14 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

@Matts4313 would you pay him that or let him walk?

I lean slightly towards letting him walk. Thats probably a 3rd/4th round comp pick and I would rather use that money on a couple fat DTs. I would not be shocked if we could get both Suh and McCoy* for the cost of Jones. 

*Not that it has to be those two, just throwing out names. 

Edited by Matts4313

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2020 at 4:20 PM, Matts4313 said:

I lean slightly towards letting him walk. Thats probably a 3rd/4th round comp pick and I would rather use that money on a couple fat DTs. I would not be shocked if we could get both Suh and McCoy* for the cost of Jones. 

*Not that it has to be those two, just throwing out names. 

I'm really wrestling with do we sign Jones or let him walk.  As our secondary exists now I don't like the look of it without him.  The reality is some team will be willing to pay him more than we will offer.  If we walk away from him are there FA CB'S we should look at?

There is no way that I would pay Byron Jones big money because he has never lived up to being a ball hawk type corner the last 2 years he has been so soft in the secondary getting beat and not getting any turnovers, start rebuilding the secondary through the draft. They say in sports if your not strong up the middle your a very weak team and we know the Cowboys suck up the middle both safeties have know ballhawking skills, they are too slow to react. The only CB that occasionally creates turnovers is Jourdan Lewis, Awuzie has lost all confidence in his play.

2020 Draft

1/17) Grant Delpit (FS) LSU 6-3" 205 lbs ball hawk, creates turnovers

2/51) Kyle Dugger(SS) Lenoir Rhyne 6-2" 215 lbs  4.35 - 4.40 speed a thumper and ability to cover, returns punts

3/82) Ross Blacklock (DT) TCU 6-3" 305 lbs. can consistently apply pressure to QB

4/122) Denzil Mims (WR) Baylor 6-3" 215 lbs big bodied receiver who can find separation and a red zone target

5/156)Stanford Samuels (CB) Florida St. 6-2" 185 lbs good coverage skills and not afraid to make tackles

5/comp) Quez Watkins (WR) Southern Mississippi 6-1" 190 lbs 4.31 - 4.40 speed your version of Henry Ruggs and he has no mentions of concussions like Ruggs, a playmaker and opens up the field for the other players on the field, good complementary player for this offense

7/233) Kamal Martin (LB) Minnesota 6-3" 240lbs good run support and in coverage  

6 hours ago, cowboysdreamer said:

There is no way that I would pay Byron Jones big money because he has never lived up to being a ball hawk type corner the last 2 years he has been so soft in the secondary getting beat and not getting any turnovers, start rebuilding the secondary through the draft. They say in sports if your not strong up the middle your a very weak team and we know the Cowboys suck up the middle both safeties have know ballhawking skills, they are too slow to react. The only CB that occasionally creates turnovers is Jourdan Lewis, Awuzie has lost all confidence in his play.

2020 Draft

1/17) Grant Delpit (FS) LSU 6-3" 205 lbs ball hawk, creates turnovers

2/51) Kyle Dugger(SS) Lenoir Rhyne 6-2" 215 lbs  4.35 - 4.40 speed a thumper and ability to cover, returns punts

3/82) Ross Blacklock (DT) TCU 6-3" 305 lbs. can consistently apply pressure to QB

4/122) Denzil Mims (WR) Baylor 6-3" 215 lbs big bodied receiver who can find separation and a red zone target

5/156)Stanford Samuels (CB) Florida St. 6-2" 185 lbs good coverage skills and not afraid to make tackles

5/comp) Quez Watkins (WR) Southern Mississippi 6-1" 190 lbs 4.31 - 4.40 speed your version of Henry Ruggs and he has no mentions of concussions like Ruggs, a playmaker and opens up the field for the other players on the field, good complementary player for this offense

7/233) Kamal Martin (LB) Minnesota 6-3" 240lbs good run support and in coverage  

I would love seeing the team address the safety position with their top 2 picks. But if we let Byron walk (which I hope happens) along with Brown, I think they should address the CB position earlier than the 5th round. 

Edited by Tony7188