2020 Cowboys Free Agency

WizardHawk

On 2/2/2020 at 8:08 PM, WittWareTNew said:

I've been reading this forum for over 15 years, before you and the DCRA chased everyone away. You are one of the reasons I never posted because I didn't want to get into arguments with anyone. However, I think I will start posting just to get under your skin. Capiche?

Please check my grammar for me. Thanks!!!

The mystery. The intrigue. 

There used to be a poster with the name tnew. Is that you?

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Who here is on board with signing Quinn? And for how much/ how long?

Who wants him to sign with someone else and send us a 4th round comp pick?

I'm on board with keeping him. He'll turn 30 in May.  Spotrac has an $11.8m/yr market value. I think that's probably low by a couple million.  I think my ceiling is $14m/yr. After that I'm happy to take the comp pick and see what I can find elsewhere in FA or with the young guys in house. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Who here is on board with signing Quinn? And for how much/ how long?

Who wants him to sign with someone else and send us a 4th round comp pick?

All for re-signing him but depends on cost.

Other question is where does he fit I'm terms of priority?

16 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm on board with keeping him. He'll turn 30 in May.  Spotrac has an $11.8m/yr market value. I think that's probably low by a couple million.  I think my ceiling is $14m/yr. After that I'm happy to take the comp pick and see what I can find elsewhere in FA or with the young guys in house. 

3 years?

On 2/2/2020 at 8:08 PM, WittWareTNew said:

I've been reading this forum for over 15 years, before you and the DCRA chased everyone away. You are one of the reasons I never posted because I didn't want to get into arguments with anyone.

Really? That's like my favorite thing about this place. A probably grown man, probably stopping his work to fight with a stranger named ChiefsOG420 about whether back up Felix Jones had enough touches 12 years ago.

When you're right you're right though.

wrong.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Given the demand the position he plays will have in the open market I think he tests free agency.  We may lose him.

The EDGE class in free agency this year is surprisingly deep. Clowney, Armstead, Fowler, Barrett, Ngakoue, Judon and Dupree all have a high probability of landing bigger contracts than Quinn's. DE is usually a position where demand outweighs supply, but when I look at that list, I tend to think there's more talent league-wide at DE than we realize. The majority of the guys I just listed were afterthoughts prior to 2019.

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

The EDGE class in free agency this year is surprisingly deep. Clowney, Armstead, Fowler, Barrett, Ngakoue, Judon and Dupree all have a high probability of landing bigger contracts than Quinn's. DE is usually a position where demand outweighs supply, but when I look at that list, I tend to think there's more talent league-wide at DE than we realize. The majority of the guys I just listed were afterthoughts prior to 2019.

Good point.  So do we resign Quinn or try our luck with some of the guys you mentioned?  

Wonder what input Nolan and/or Tomsula will have?

1 minute ago, Northland said:

Good point.  So do we resign Quinn or try our luck with some of the guys you mentioned?  

Wonder what input Nolan and/or Tomsula will have?

I think those guys are all likely out of our price range. A couple are franchise tag candidates

Next tier of UFA edge rushers includes Markus Golden, Emmanuel Ogbah, Olivier Vernon, Vic Beasley, Carl Nassib... Yeah, I hope we can keep Quinn

The interior DL market is even deeper- absurdly deep, with space eaters and gap shooters and everything in between. I think/hope we can land, let's say, Danny Shelton + Derek Wolfe, especially if we're likely to see more 3-man fronts and overall defensive variety under Nolan. We not only need more talent up front for that, but different skill sets.

• Like 3

Would you bring Heath back?

Rumors say he may follow JG to the Giants or the Raiders ST coach.

He'll be 29 this season and even if you weren't one of his outspoken haters, it has to be time to go right?

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Would you bring Heath back?

Rumors say he may follow JG to the Giants or the Raiders ST coach.

He'll be 29 this season and even if you weren't one of his outspoken haters, it has to be time to go right?

17 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

It is definitely time to move on from Heath. 

Yeah, pretty much

We have 5 free agent vacancies on the starting defense (RDE, RCB, NT, UT, SS) and at least one incumbent starter that we really cannot go into the year without competition for his spot (Awuzie). Ergo, we could see about half the unit turned over.

Edited by matt79511