Fan Speak Mock Drafts

THE DUKE

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

Queen makes me nervous. He’s very athletic but he is still learning how to play LB. 

So was Devin White. Queen got better and better as the year went on, and played his best game in the National Championship. He's got natural instincts that are only going to get better. The skies the limit for him. In the end I think the chances he makes it anywhere near 33 are slim.

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The LB class is thin with only a couple of LBs (Simmons, Murray) worth a top 33 pick. The WR class is deep and we can get a good one in the 3rd or 4th round. I'm not counting Weaver, Okwara, Chaisson, etc as LBs though they'd be OLBs for a 3-4 team. 

Murray and Queen are well worth the pick. So much so I seriously doubt they’ll be available.

13 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Queen makes me nervous. He’s very athletic but he is still learning how to play LB. 

He affected the title game just as much as Isaiah Simmons did imo. He's still a bit raw, but he's a potential every down game changer at LB.

13 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Neither LB nor WR is a need at 33. I'd prefer we sign a proven, clear upgrade for LB and O-line in free agency, then we can draft the players who add the most value. 

I think analytics devaluing LB so much is moreso a function of them not analyzing the position correctly than it not being a valuable position.  The Bengals have an above average dline and a not terrible secondary, but the defense last year was a dumpster fire, in large part because of the horrendous LB play until Pratt started turning it on later in the year. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, THE DUKE said:

I used Fanspeak this week, using DraftUtopia's updated draft board for player rankings:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  2. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
  3. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
  4. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
  5. Ben Bartch, OT, St Johns
  6. Jonah Jackson, OG, Ohio State
  7. Tyler Bass, K, Georgia Southern

Toughest call for me was between Gladney and Isaiah Wilson at 33 (he's rising up boards leading into the combine as more teams review his tape), but I went with Gladney, who I won't be shocked if he ends up anywhere as high as the teens or as low as the 50's.

Sign me up.  Not sure some of those guys last that long, but I'll take this haul right now.

Goofing around at work,  I really like the way this Draft Network mock went:

1 Joe Burrow, QB

33 Ross Blacklock, IDL

65 Isaiah Wilson, OT

97 Troy Pride Jr., CB

129 Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB

160 Devin Duvernay, WR

192 Kendall Coleman, EDGE

Lots of exciting options were available in 2, Queen, Murray, Higgins.  Went with the DT that was higher rated with the assumption we would sign one starter at linebacker.  I wanted to hit receiver or tight end sooner,  but felt like 3-5 were better fits.

28 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Goofing around at work,  I really like the way this Draft Network mock went:

1 Joe Burrow, QB

33 Ross Blacklock, IDL

65 Isaiah Wilson, OT

97 Troy Pride Jr., CB

129 Akeem Davis-Gaither, LB

160 Devin Duvernay, WR

192 Kendall Coleman, EDGE

Lots of exciting options were available in 2, Queen, Murray, Higgins.  Went with the DT that was higher rated with the assumption we would sign one starter at linebacker.  I wanted to hit receiver or tight end sooner,  but felt like 3-5 were better fits.

If we sign a LB, then i'd get not taking Queen, but man, that's tough to pass on.  All in all that'd be phenomenal draft though.

4 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

If we sign a LB, then i'd get not taking Queen, but man, that's tough to pass on.  All in all that'd be phenomenal draft though.

From what I’ve seen I honestly don’t think Queen makes it to 33, but if he is there - and even if we sign someone like Schobert - I still wouldn’t pass on him. He’s going to be special. It’s tough to envision a scenario where he wouldn’t be BPA if still on the board. 

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

From what I’ve seen I honestly don’t think Queen makes it to 33, but if he is there - and even if we sign someone like Schobert - I still wouldn’t pass on him. He’s going to be special. It’s tough to envision a scenario where he wouldn’t be BPA if still on the board. 

I highly doubt he gets to 33 too, he's going to post stupid good speed and agility times this weekend.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

There's so much cycling.  He shot up and dropped some. He's likely a pick in the 20's but I went with a player that was higher rated by that list at a position that we probably need more than we realize. 

Pretty happy with this one. I assumed we trade Dalton for a 4th, came away with this...

1. Joe Burrow - QB - LSU

2. Jeff Gladney - CB - TCU

3. Akeem Davis-Gaither - LB - Appalachian St.

4a. Michael Pittman Jr. - WR - USC

4b. Damien Lewis - G - LSU

5. Benito Jones - DT - Ole Miss

6. Isaiah Hodgins - WR - Oregon St.

7. Tyler Bass - K - Georgia Southern

I'm going with the Fanspeak mock offseason and the mock draft here.  Finishing up I realize how wildly unrealistic this scenario will be, but I just decided to roll with it since the options were there in the sim, and it was fun to daydream on.

Offseason:

• Trade Andy Dalton to the Chicago Bears for their later 2nd rd pick (#50 overall, they also have #43 overall)
  • Franchise tag AJ Green
  • Cut Dre Kirkpatrick
  • Cut Cordy Glenn
  • Cut Ryan Finley
  • Re-sign Darqueze Dennard to a 4 year, $32 million contract, $16 million guaranteed
  • Re-sign Clayton Fejedelem to a 3 year, $9 million contact, $2 million guaranteed
  • Re-sign Nick Vigil to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract, $250,000 guaranteed
  • Signed free agent IOL Graham Glasgow to a 4 year, 36 million contract with $16 million guaranteed
  • Signed free agent LB Joe Schobert to a 4 year, $42 million contract with $20 million guaranteed
  • Signed free agent H-Back Ryan Hewitt to a 1 year, $3 million contract with $500,000 guaranteed.
  • Signed free agent DL Derek Wolfe to a 3 year, $30 million contract with $12 million guaranteed
  • Signed free agent QB Colt McCoy to a 1 year, $5 million contact with $1 million guaranteed
  • Extend William Jackson 4 years, $52 million with $20 million guaranteed
  • Extend Joe Mixon 4 years, $45 million with $18 million guaranteed

Draft

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
      2a. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
      2b. Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia
      3. Troy Pride Jr, CB, Notre Dame
      4. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
      5. Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois
      6. Josiah Deguara, TE, Cinicinnati
      7. Tyler Bass, K, Georgia Southern

Depth Chart

QB: Joe Burrow, Colt McCoy, Jake Dolegala
RB: Joe Mixon, Giovanni Bernard, Trayveon Williams
HB: Ryan Hewitt
WR: AJ Green, Auden Tate, Denzel Mims
WR: Tyler Boyd, John Ross, Alex Erickson
TE: CJ Uzomah, Drew Sample, Mason Schrek
LT: Jonah Williams, Fred Johnson
LG: Graham Glasgow
C: Trey Hopkins, Billy Price
RG: John Miller, Michael Jordan
RT: Bobby Hart, Isaiah Wilson

LDE: Carlos Dunlap, Derek Wolfe
NDT: Josh Tupou, Rennell Wren
UDT: Geno Atkis, Ryan Glasgow, Andrew Brown
RDE: Sam Hubbard, Carl Lawson
WLB: Germaine Pratt, Nick Vigil
MLB: Joe Schobert, Hardy Nickerson (or UDFA LB)
SLB: Malik Harrison, Jordan Evans
LCB: William Jackson III, Troy Pride Jr, BW Webb
FS: Jessie Bates III, Brandon Wilson
SS: Shawn Williams, Jeremy Chinn, Clayton Fejedelem
RCB: Darqueze Dennard, Darius Phillips

K: Tyler Bass
P: Kevin Huber
LS: Clark Harris

I'd be excited as hell if we were going into the season with that roster.  We'd have the depth to ease in Mims and Wilson to take over starting roles in 2021 and provide depth now (unless they flat out win a job now), much better LB depth, Glasgow would really help the interior OL solidify, Dennard could kick into the slot when the nickel CB (likely Phillips) gets on the field and Pride can steal reps from BW Webb as the season goes along.  Harrison was just excellent value in the 4th and could back up both Schobert and Pratt and be the 3rd LB on the field on obvious run downs.  Chinn is groomed to take over for Williams in 2021 with Fejedelem being depth and a special teams ace.