Positions big money should NOT be spent on

mar29020

It depends on the player. Look, if Sean Taylor had lived long enough to become a free agent then we should have made him the highest paid safety in the league.

For all of Landry’s faults in deep coverage, our safety play - until we signed Swearinger and now Collins - suffered without him from 2012-2016.

I’ll always say, we franchised the wrong guy in 2012 when we franchised Smoke Dog/Sleepy Fred over Landry. Fred Davis smoked himself out of the league and never got a second contract and Landry went on to have 2 or 3 more good seasons and one was a pro bowl season.

If Eric Berry was healthy enough to play last year and wanted to, I still say we should have signed him. I still would consider it if I was Rivera but I’m guessing the reason Berry didn’t play was bc no one was going to pay him close to what the Chiefs were bc of his injury history.

Again, show me a great defense that doesn’t have at least one safety who’s getting paid well or their safeties were high picks in the draft. Hell, the Ravens have two high paid safeties. 

No one convince tell me that Matthieu, Earl Thomas, Mika Fitzpatrick, Devin McCourty, Harrison Smith, Budah Baker, Eddie Jackson, Jordan Poyer, Harris, Derwin James, Malik Hooker, Kevin Byard or Adrian Amos wouldn’t have made a big difference on our defense this year over Montae Nicholson.

Speaking of which, Jimmie Ward has had a good season as the 49ers FS, he’s a free agent and he’s only going to be 29 in Julie, we should consider signing him on top of guys like Boston, Harris and others.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

lol i forgot Bruce Allen franchised Davis.

I think it was more Shanahan, but things were so cloudy back then on who was making which decisions. I think Shanahan chose to franchise the TE for his offense over having a pro bowl caliber safety, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t know who has that final decision.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

This offseason or in general? 

That would be my question.  Obviously, we already have a high dollar top SS.  I would be happy to spend money on a complementary free safety if one in his prime was available.

I think elite safeties change so much of what a team can do in their backfield and takes so much pressure off both the cornerbacks but also linebackers covering TEs and such.  Elite safeties can be nightmares for young quarterbacks.

Running backs, I agree with.  Rarely does a second top dollar contract make sense as they get worn down.  I feel differently when it comes to drafting running backs high.

Guards, I really have no idea what you mean.  These days, especially 3-4 defenses, apply pressure from the inside just as much as the outside.  I don't really distinguish tackles being much more important than Guards.  I think we should pay Scherff.  Just cause Wes Martin subbed in well during two meaningless games shouldn't make that decision.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Guards, I really have no idea what you mean.  These days, especially 3-4 defenses, apply pressure from the inside just as much as the outside.  I don't really distinguish tackles being much more important than Guards.  I think we should pay Scherff.  Just cause Wes Martin subbed in well during two meaningless games shouldn't make that decision.

I agree with the rest of your post but this paragraph. 4-3 DEs/3-4 OLBs are still at a higher premium then interior DL. LTs are the best offensive linemen on almost every team in the NFL and the highest paid, that’s bc the DE/OLB pass rusher is always the best pass rusher on the defense. Centers and Guards are important but it’s far easier to find a serviceable or even good guard then it is to find a LT capable of blocking the opposing teams best pass rusher all game long and all 16 weeks.

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

That would be my question.  Obviously, we already have a high dollar top SS.  I would be happy to spend money on a complementary free safety if one in his prime was available.

I think elite safeties change so much of what a team can do in their backfield and takes so much pressure off both the cornerbacks but also linebackers covering TEs and such.  Elite safeties can be nightmares for young quarterbacks.

Running backs, I agree with.  Rarely does a second top dollar contract make sense as they get worn down.  I feel differently when it comes to drafting running backs high.

Safeties are complimentary pieces, not primary pieces.

7 hours ago, mar29020 said:

i think FS,SS, G, and RB. What do you guys think?

I agree. I think these are the four.

Here's how I would list them (in descending order = last one is the one I'd pay most for of these 4)

1) SS

2) RB

3) G

4) FS

3 and 4 are very close to me.

But as @MikeT14 said, it also depends upon the player at that position. Ed Reed? I wouldn't have minded paying big money (big money for that position, not QB big money) for his production. McCaffery? Same thing.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I agree. I think these are the four.

Here's how I would list them (in descending order = last one is the one I'd pay most for of these 4)

1) SS

2) RB

3) G

4) FS

3 and 4 are very close to me.

But as @MikeT14 said, it also depends upon the player at that position. Ed Reed? I wouldn't have minded paying big money (big money for that position, not QB big money) for his production. McCaffery? Same thing.

Honest question, how do you improve your secondary if you're not willing to invest in one of the position groups at all?