What qualifies as garbage time?

Hukos

Garbage time is one of those nebulous terms that "people know" but is never specifically defined. It's usually a "I know it when I see it" thing, which is quite annoying. Is when you're up 3 scores, 4 scores? Can it fluctuate based on how good/bad your defense is? Like, if a team with a great defense has a 21 point lead, that's probably a wrap, but teams with bad defenses could easily give up leads of much bigger than that.

And when does garbage time officially stop being garbage time - when the other team starts making a comeback? When the game is within one score, or tied, or what? My own Falcons are notorious for giving up big leads in their franchise history, so as far as I'm concerned, there is literally no such thing as garbage time for them - so you might as well keep the score going if you're up.

I wouldn't say it has as much to do with the time on the clock, so much as it does the defensive play-calling as a result of the score. I'd say garbage time starts when a team has a multiple score lead, and their defensive scheme/play-calling "softens" in an attempt to limit big plays/quick scores.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I wouldn't say it has as much to do with the time on the clock, so much as it does the defensive play-calling as a result of the score. I'd say garbage time starts when a team has a multiple score lead, and their defensive scheme/play-calling "softens" in an attempt to limit big plays/quick scores.

so if a team carves up another defense in prevent in the second half and then takes the win, that offensive performance is discounted because it was in garbage time, all until the lead switched and then it became un-garbage time?

doesnt make sense to me.