What qualifies as garbage time?

Hukos

Just now, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Dang. Was that when they broke his back? I mean how do you feel about Carr if he’s starting next year for oak? 

No that was the London game vs Seahawks and the contact and constant rape made him cry.

I don’t feel good at all about Carr starting for us. He has massively regressed since he broke his leg in 2016. He is scared of contact, doesn’t go through progressions, any hint of pressure or phantom pressure and he panics and gets happy feet making poor choices. He usually only goes from one read to check down it’s basically all he is now. Scared to throw it into tight windows, scared to throw beyond 20 yards unless the receiver is wiiiiiiide open. He refuses to throw receivers open. If we didn’t have Josh Jacobs this season we probably only win 2-3 games.  
If you like 2 yard check down poor mans Sam Bradford then he’s your man

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mistakey said:

so if a team carves up another defense in prevent in the second half and then takes the win, that offensive performance is discounted because it was in garbage time, all until the lead switched and then it became un-garbage time?

doesnt make sense to me.

Well no, in that specific scenario it likely wouldn't get to that point. Once the losing team has come back enough to the point where they're threatening to win (or tie) the game, it's assumed the defense would then revert back to a less conservative style. They wouldn't just remain in a prevent defense that isn't working. I wouldn't consider that garbage time anymore.

• Like 1

Garbage time has about as much to do with the score as the time left on the clock.  I consider it "garbage time" when one team's lead is so large that there is no realistic chance for the other team to come back and win it.  The only time there can't technically be a true "garbage time" is when Seattle is playing Green Bay in the NFC Championship game.  Then, all bets are off.  ;)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Well no, in that specific scenario it likely wouldn't get to that point. Once the losing team has come back enough to the point where they're threatening to win (or tie) the game, it's assumed the defense would then revert back to a less conservative style. They wouldn't just remain in a prevent defense that isn't working. I wouldn't consider that garbage time anymore.

Right but then the time you labeled as garbage time wasn’t then garbage time

I usually see it referred to as situations when there is little to no chance of the losing team to come back and win, but they are allowed to gain ground to run the clock as much as possible.  During this time, "garbage time" stats, and even scoring happens.

It should never be referred to as situations where the losing team has the last possession and has a chance to tie or win the game.  

9 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Right but then the time you labeled as garbage time wasn’t then garbage time

Fair enough. So I guess you could say garbage time only applies to the scenario in which the trailing team doesn't come back within reach of actually winning (or tying) the game.

According to Wikipedia:

Garbage time is a term used to refer to the period toward the end of a timed sports competition that has become a blowout when the outcome of the game has already been decided.

During garbage time, the trailing team can sometimes rack up an unusually high tally of statistics, leading the respective box score to be misleading with respect to their actual game performance. For instance, in American football, if the losing team is behind by several touchdowns, the offense may resort entirely to the passing game in a futile effort to catch up. At the same time, the leading team (on defense, with second or third string players) may allow them to complete plays (which benefits them by running out the clock). This may lead the statistics to indicate a high amount of passing yards for the losing squad, which would suggest the team performed better than in reality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_time

You can logistically make an argument based on downs, timeouts and possession.

Generally speaking a team will burn at least 2 minutes on a single possession. Having all 3 time-outs caps that to like 15-20 seconds. No matter how great an offense is, most teams will opt to run out the clock and therefore be easily predictable. Which is why even down 2 scores under 2 min, if the team that's down has all 3 time-outs it's not garbage time.

So with that the most basic template of garbage time is 3 score margin with under 2 min to play having possession. Because you have to score without using time-outs, use all of them to get the ball back and score again and get an onside kick. Now that can be stretched to 4 min and down by 3 scores.

Theoretically, getting a first down a team can eat up more than 4 minutes of time. So that's where people can look at a team having the ball down 3 scores with under 8 min to go being garbage time. Theoretically however because if that team goes down and scores they are now only down 2, assuming they have all timeouts with say, 5 or 6 minutes to go and that's not garbage time.

But I personally only view garbage time as 4+ scores with under 8 min to play with possession of the ball.

Mind you I look at a single score to be 7 not 8. I think expecting multiple 2-point conversions borders on the implausible.